Club Arnage
June 09, 2024, 12:36:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police / Speed Traps/ Plod Behaviour  (Read 14657 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 11:27:07 pm »

Some are infra-red or night vision type so don't need a flash.

eg SPECS & Truvelo

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Truvelo.htm

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm
engineerjim
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2005, 08:50:21 pm »

90 yoyos and a fond fairwell seems a letoff.

See this pamflet issued by french road safety

http://www.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/depl-engl.pdf
Mr. Invincible Mou
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2005, 01:02:37 pm »

I have to wonder if they need to employ a new translator. According to the leaflet, there is a 3 YEAR ban for a minor speeding offence  Shocked Embarrassed Cheesy
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 12:59:08 am »

I have to wonder if they need to employ a new translator. According to the leaflet, there is a 3 YEAR ban for a minor speeding offence  Shocked Embarrassed Cheesy

No problem with the translation. I have the French regulations in front of me. I fact the regulations were tightened on 7/12/04. The three year ban is a maximum, but the maximum fine for breaking the speed limit by less than 20 kph in town is now 375 euros, between 20 and 49 kph over the limit in or out of town is the same, but with a maximum 3 year ban. Exceed the limit by 50 kph and it's a 1500 euro fine (not a maximum - plain 1500 euros), a  mandatory ban of up to 3 years, and possible confiscation of the vehicle. They also claim to be conducting a zero tolerance policy on speeding - 1kph over the limit and you're nicked. It's noticable that people are driving closer to the limits (and even within them) these days.
I think English courts are banning anyone exceeding 100 mph on a motorway these days, so that seems to be about the same. The fixed fine and possible grabbing of your car are not the same. France has come late to being tough on speeding, and the police seem keen to show that they know how to enforce the law.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 01:08:17 pm »

At the moment a ban can't be applied to your UK dricing licence but there are discussions under way that mean any motoring offence in any EU country can be penalised in your own country. I think I read someplace that this will come into effect later this year.

However they can definitely fine you, issue you a summons and quite probably confiscate your car.

Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 08:17:23 pm »

At the moment a ban can't be applied to your UK dricing licence but there are discussions under way that mean any motoring offence in any EU country can be penalised in your own country. I think I read someplace that this will come into effect later this year.

However they can definitely fine you, issue you a summons and quite probably confiscate your car.

They can ban you from driving in France, though, and they do keep your records on the national computer. I lost my UK passport (well mislaid it) and popped down to the local gendarmerie to report it missing and get a temporary travel document. Blow me down if they hadn't got my details on file for a speeding offence several years earlier. So if they ban you in France don't try driving again in France until the ban is over. Otherwise you risk a 15,000 euro fine and a mere year in prison.

I'm in the process of reading an article in a french motoring mag out this week all about how mean and sneaky the traffic cops are becoming over here, when not so long ago the idea was a high profile to encourage safe driving. Now it's plain clothes, unmarked cars (even driving school cars) and a trap-based philosophy. Certainly the traffic cops in my neck of the woods are regarded as nasty people.

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2005, 01:12:34 pm »

Ironic that foreigners in this country get away with virtually everything.

Powerless sometimes we are, unless all the UK agencies get together for special operations, which are usually only carried out on trucks.

Foreign people have better rights in this country, than we seem to have in theirs.

i.e - If i stop jonny foreigner for speeding and issue a ticket ( which i cant, unless i contact the french embassey, ) but saying he doesnt pay, we wouldnt call the french police to track him doen to pay.

EU = Un-Equally Useless

Take life by the horns and live it.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2005, 02:47:39 pm »

Prehaps Kpy can answer this?

Are French drivers still giving a warning of speed traps to vehicles coming the other way by flashing their lights? Or are Les Flics getting upset about this social Wink behaviour like Plod in UK?

This brotherhood of happy flashers has saved me many a ticket in the last 30 years in France and UK, although since some members of the UK public have been prosecuted for giving this warning, it seems to be in decline Sad Sad

Time to invest in business' making brown shirts and jack boots. Angry Angry
engineerjim
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2005, 03:01:39 pm »

Makes a UK Tally Van look realy vissible

http://www.radars-auto.com/radars_mobiles.php
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2005, 03:40:31 pm »

Ironic that foreigners in this country get away with virtually everything.

Powerless sometimes we are, unless all the UK agencies get together for special operations, which are usually only carried out on trucks.

Foreign people have better rights in this country, than we seem to have in theirs.

i.e - If i stop jonny foreigner for speeding and issue a ticket ( which i cant, unless i contact the french embassey, ) but saying he doesnt pay, we wouldnt call the french police to track him doen to pay.

EU = Un-Equally Useless

Well Robbo, I qualified as a solicitor, and you are a police officer. I used to act as a prosecuting solicitor before the CPS existed - yes I know that was a long time ago. There is nothing to stop you issuing a summons to any foreigner, or arresting him for an arrestable offence. You certainly don't have to notify the Frence Embassy before issuing a fixed penalty notice to a Frenchman! Quote me chapter and verse if I'm wrong  Smiley. You can even arrest a diplomat - it's up to him to claim the diplomatic immunity. However the offence would have to be pretty severe before a custody sergeant would give you a cell in which to lock up a speeder. It has happened, though. Kent police clocked a Frence motorcyclist at over 130mph and had him in court the same day. He was fined, banned from driving in the UK and had to collect his bike from the Calais-bound ferry at Dover.
In France fixed penalties are not appled as cash on the spot fines to French nationals - they have a fortnight in which to pay, after which the fine is increased if still unpaid. French police are given the power to demand cash from non-French nationals to ensure that the fine is paid. You should have that power too. The fact that you can't demand cash from a French offender lies with Parliament - nowhere else.
French law is just that: French law. It is not EU law. The EU is currently going through the process of setting up a system whereby penalties for motoring offences committed in the EU are applied to any EU national's driving licence. So a ban or points applied in Germany or France will apply to your UK licence. That means that penalties handed out in the UK to French, German etc citizens will be enforceable though their own systems, just as you would wish. Things take time at Brussels, so it hasn't happened yet, but it will. So don't blame the EU for the current situation.  Wink
Kpy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a Le Manster

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2005, 03:49:22 pm »

Prehaps Kpy can answer this?

Are French drivers still giving a warning of speed traps to vehicles coming the other way by flashing their lights? Or are Les Flics getting upset about this social Wink behaviour like Plod in UK?

This brotherhood of happy flashers has saved me many a ticket in the last 30 years in France and UK, although since some members of the UK public have been prosecuted for giving this warning, it seems to be in decline Sad Sad

Time to invest in business' making brown shirts and jack boots. Angry Angry

Don't worry Barry, the brotherhood of happy flashers still exists !! The flics can hide the traps, but not those big blue vans where they hand out the fines, or the squads of uniformed officers pulling people over at the major toll booths. I'm a happy flasher too !!  Wink
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2005, 10:26:53 pm »

The Three F40's at St Saturnin last year were reputibly caught doing in Excess of 150 MPH. We heard that the Plod could not decide how much to fine them so they were able to continue to St Saturnin to await their fait (assume some kind of surity  i.e. passports) a big cheer went up when they were required to pay 1500 euro's each. Sounds like they got off lightly!
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2005, 12:45:46 am »

http://www.radars-auto.com/radars_mobiles.php

Dunno about the technical French legal stuff. Well over my head, but thanks for the great link in there to Beate Uhse Handy with Valentines coming up. Bloody nice models too.....

Bill

Wink

hard to guess where my main interests lie, innit?

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: