Club Arnage
May 23, 2024, 07:28:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GT1 mixing it with LMP2?  (Read 4963 times)
SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2005, 11:24:47 pm »

Looking at the test times the GT1s will be about 10 seconds or less slower than the LMP2s.  Will the GTs be able to go longer than the LMPs between stops?  In which case is there a chance that the top GT1 could finish ahead of the top LMP2.  What about tyre wear?  

Discuss?
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 09:06:16 am »

LMP2 was from my point of view quiete disappointing in the last years, just cruising around and finishing was sometimes even enough for a podium.

I think the battle between the Chevys, the Astons and the Ferraris will lead to a high overall pace in that class, I expect the quickest GT1 to finish ahead of the quickest LMP2. Even the big surprise is possible, remember 1995 when GT outran the prototypes, but, OK that's a remote chance this year.

It's also not only about cars, but about the drivers as well. Looking at the drivers roster of teams like Chevrolet and Aston Martin, I didn't find a match for that in whole LMP2.

Not sure, but I think GT1 has 10 litres more of fuel in the tank(100 compared to 90 in LMP2). But, of course, I guess the 1100 kg 600 hp Chevy will need a little more of that than a 3.4 litre Judd in a 750 kg car also...

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 09:43:26 am »

Don't forget that the Aston nearly got on the overall podium at Sebring, only pipped into 4th in the last half hour by one of the Dysons!

IIRC, last year only one LMP2 car finished the race so the podium was a little bare!
Ranger
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:18:04 am »

Well the Italian Luchini team have withdrawn their LMP2 car from the race so that's one less for the Aston's to get past!

Only 49 cars on the grid now Huh
chrisbeatty
CA Veteran

Note to self, think of something witty.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 11:13:03 am »

Autosport has an interview with Marco Werner & he said the R8 is no quicker down the straights than the leading GT1's this year (what with all the added restrictions on the old LMP900/675 models)
I expect there to be a significant difference in braking & round the curvy bits of the track, but it does seem a little odd that the fastest entries aren't "fastest"!!

Here's hoping for a DBR9 to hit the overall podium Smiley

I seem to recall LMP2/LMP675's being a bit crap in recent years anyway, looks like they've improved a lot in 12 months to get back to where they should be!!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 11:14:23 am by chrisbeatty » Logged
Ken Breadstick
CA Veteran

Helga!! remove your clothes....slowly...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 11:21:06 am »

The LMP2 and variants before hand have ended up finishing behind the top GT cars anyway.

I still think the Top Ferraris/Chevy/Astons will do that again.

Yeah I agree with all of you, I think a GT1 car has a great chance for a top 5 and the added factor that with no real 'factory' effort in the LMP1 maybe relaibility could be a problem for some of the top cars.

The Spyker Rules!!
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 01:35:16 pm »

I honestly thin kthat with the development of the RML car and Intersport car from the US, they will be very quick and hard to beat.

The RMl car is a better car and developed from the 2001/2 MG cars that were quicker on some laps than the LMP1 cars.

Could be a good one.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 01:57:15 pm »

Just went the results of previous races, last time an LMP2 (675) managed to finish ahed of the quickest GT was 2001.
I remember the very strong MGs in 2001/2002, nice, quick cars with excellent drivers (Bailey, Bludell and others), sometimes they could even go the pace of the  LMP900 cars, but as far as I remember they never made it til sunday monrning sunrise Cry Cry Cry

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 02:01:29 pm »

Could be a good one.

IMHO I think that this years race has the potential to be the most intresting for several years in all catagories. The new LMP1 Pescaralo's should give the privateer hybrid R8's ( which have 50 kg of ballast onboard, and a smaller restricter) a run for their money. LMP2 field looks very strong and competitive. GT1 will see a titannic clash of the green verses yellow. GT2 should be a Porsche benefit, but it will be very intresting to see how the Panoz run, they look competitive so far, but will they last. White Lightning might have a fight on their hands.

Put together a field as we have this year, add a dash of luck, a splash of bad luck, unexpected drama, shake well, and you get the wonderful cocktail that is the 24 Heures du Mans.

If Henri gets a win, the French will go wild, could be a good party Sunday night. It's 25 years since the Rondeau won the race for France, could a French car with French drivers do it again this year? We'll soon find out.

I'm so excited, I'll go and lie down for a little while.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 02:11:25 pm by Barry » Logged
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 02:33:49 pm »

If Henri gets a win, the French will go wild, could be a good party Sunday night. It's 25 years since the Rondeau won the race for France, could a French car with French drivers do it again this year? We'll soon find out.

Also Peugeot in '92 and '93.

Steve East Anglian cobras

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 02:36:11 pm »

In 1993 they even occupied all three steps on the podium.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2005, 02:36:39 pm »

Don't forget the Pug victorory/ies (can't remember if 1 or 2).

Still I shall be happy if Pesca wins, a true LM God.  I wonder if he was ever tempted to drive to join that exclusive club with Rondeau.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 02:40:54 pm »

Ah, forgot about them, but the last French car to win with French drivers only was the Rondeau.

Have a good trip down Steve, see you there.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 02:43:16 pm by Barry » Logged
Fax
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 03:21:23 pm »

I've gotta think the real show, as at Sebring will be in GT1.  Pesca's cars look great but from everything I've read they were really trying to go for quick times at pre-qualifying while Champion Audi were working on evaluating various race set-ups.  I just don't see anyone beating an Audi over 24 hours.  No bad luck intended but I really hope Chevy puts one over the Aston's at the Sarthe, if for no other reason than that would even the score at one all and would make for a Petit Le Mans tie-breaker in October.  That would be sweet.
Fax
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 03:25:52 pm »

I think with a little more effort from embarressed Chevrolet, the GTs will run very fast, and when was the last time a Judd engined car ran full distance without a stop.  So the Audis are 1 2 3 but they'll have the odd problem, so Aston should be on the podium.

If it were that simple, it wouldn't be worth watching.

Expect mayhem or a procession - no change there then

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: