Club Arnage
June 16, 2024, 01:02:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapskates  (Read 4322 times)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:45:35 am »

How can it be that the Guide was downloaded over 2000 times but only had £142 in donations (yes one hundred and forty two pounds!!!) from 16 people (according to the 2013 guide)?

Given the cost of going to Le Mans you would have thought that the guide was worth more than the price of a beer.

Maybe there should be a free version with a big watermark across it saying "no donation given yet" and one without available after a donation was given however small.

Thoughts?

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »

Thoughts?

Aricus

Initial: How 'bout a link to donation...

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:31:50 pm »

Jim,

Good idea, it's the page before the download, here it is, available for past year donations too!

http://www.clubarnage.com/caguide/

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 03:16:44 pm »

Funnily enough, I have just this morning checked the equivalent page for this year's guide.

The number of people and the amount donated has not materially altered for several years.

Werner and I have discussed this issue many times, and have always concluded that the heavy hand would not be politic, nor can we be seen to be 'selling' the guide for a number of reasons. 

So we just have to accept that there are a lot of tight-ar**d folk out there.  I actually quite enjoy updating the sections I  look after - keeps me up-to-date, and is not an onerous task.  Werner is the one who puts in the most effort, especially at this time of the year, and I suspect that he also enjoys the task!!

Del

Team Delboy Racing
jimclark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 04:03:48 pm »

I, personally, have not used it but I shall make my contribution forthwith.

A hearty thank you to those involved in it's production.  Smiley

jimclark
clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:48:13 pm »

I must admit to not making donations either. But I have made the odd contribution to the publication.
It is a great guide - the best.
I must also admit to not downloading every year either.  But I always take a glance if a copy is available.

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 11:52:25 pm »

As Del already wrote, I'm putting many days of work into it, especially in the last days before the publication (I go for Wednesday, 4th June now for this year). But I like it, it's fun and has become a fixed part of my pre-Le Mans routine, it's the 9th Guide already. And doing it I'm probably the only one who has the entry list fully memorized  Grin

Pity so few people donate - but that won't keep me away from compiling the next one.

Werner

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 11:33:15 am »

Del, Werner,

I understand, and the trouble with the web is that folk think that it's all free, but even Wikipedia needs a donation to keep it going once in a while.

I suspect that many of the people who download the guide are well intentioned and in the midst of getting ready, may overlook the payment. There will be others who don't have PayPal and consider doing a bank transfer quite onerous.

I wonder if people had more incentive then they would give over some money.

Perhaps something simple like redrafting of the redirect page and suggesting that it is worth the price of a beer, and even saying that you have this "labour of love, but...".

I think that the section "On the run - Escaping the traffic at the end of the race" is worth the value of a beer in its own right. 

Perhaps a bit of text saying "if you have used this route and saved yourself hours of frustration in a traffic jam, perhaps you would consider a contribution once you are home and thinking about your trip".

Hmmm.... I think I may have found a new job. I'll have a go at drafting a redirect page and fire it over for your thoughts.

The alternative of course is sponsorship, but that's a slippery slope.....

Aricus

jimclark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 03:42:41 pm »

C'mon folks that are reading this thread and have not contributed. I can't even (for some unknown reason) download the guide and I made my donation.

Ante up you freeloaders!!!!  Angry Angry Angry Tongue Tongue Tongue Grin Grin Grin

jimclark
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 08:27:08 pm »

C'mon folks that are reading this thread and have not contributed. I can't even (for some unknown reason) download the guide and I made my donation.

Ante up you freeloaders!!!!  Angry Angry Angry Tongue Tongue Tongue Grin Grin Grin

You can't download the guide because it's not ready yet.
When it is, I'll download it and, at the same time make a contribution FS!

I tested negative for patience.
jimclark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 11:34:14 pm »

You can't download the guide because it's not ready yet.

No sheet!!!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I've been tryin' to download any of them; to no avail  Huh Wink Smiley

jimclark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: