Club Arnage
June 16, 2024, 04:24:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative Ferry Route  (Read 4015 times)
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2004, 01:53:08 pm »

We have always taken one of the crossing routes out of Pompey as it used to be the most convenient, then it became traditional regardless of the distance but it may be now time for a change.

We're considering Brittany Ferries Plymouth - Roscoff for a change of scenery on the drive on the other side and Plymouth is a few miles nearer to home than Pompey. (A slightly cheaper fare also, if any Brittany fare could be described as 'cheap') however I digress....

Is there anyone out there with experience of this route? The ferry is one that used to go out of Portsmouth (the Bretagne) and we are familiar with it (spacious, with a good sized bar/entertainment area - quite important) but more importantly what is it like from a social point of view.

Is there a West country equivalent of the crowd that goes out of Pompey on a Wednesday night?  Is there a pub near the port that could double as the Rudmore Cellars?  These vital questions must be answered before we finally make our booking decision.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 07:31:39 pm »

I guess from the lack of comment that this route is not popular with CA'ers. Oh well Portsmouth it is then.....

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 07:41:27 pm »

I may be interested - its prob about as far to Plymouth as it is to Pompy from here

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
SteveB
CA Veteran

I'm a llamanser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2004, 08:53:49 pm »

Nearby pub ?  - Millbay Docks is within 100yards of the "infamous" Union Street area , along with being right in the middle of the Red Light area , so if you can't find something to entertain you all hope is lost !

I live in Plymouth and obviously use this route, it's a 6 hour crossing but when on the other side the drive to Le Mans is actually 10miles less than Plymouth to Silverstone .

Any further info - just give me a holler

Steve

"If at first you don't succeed, remove all evidence you ever tried." - David Brent
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 10:38:52 pm »

Just had a look on the P&O site - the deal Starbar put me onto last year looks by far the best out there.

£170 Out on the Tues pm Ports - Le Harve, back first sailing Mon Cherbourg - Portsmouth

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 06:27:08 pm »

Just had a look on the P&O site - the deal Starbar put me onto last year looks by far the best out there.

£170 Out on the Tues pm Ports - Le Harve, back first sailing Mon Cherbourg - Portsmouth

which boat you sailing on, They are going bust in 8 weeks !!

Take life by the horns and live it.
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 07:54:18 pm »

Not booked yet....  Will wait to see who is definate first in our party

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 11:49:06 pm »

Mark.

I believ the 5th January 2005 will be the last sailings to Le Havre for P&O.

The last sailing to Cherbourg maybve 24th December.

Pretzel - have alook at www.bfeforums.co.uk and their home page. They are Plymouth ferry spotters and may help you with answers on Rudmore Send Off's !!

Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 09:49:40 am »

Is a bit rude that the daft buggers are still taking bookings for next year...  Angry

pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 11:29:45 am »

Pretzel - have alook at www.bfeforums.co.uk and their home page. They are Plymouth ferry spotters and may help you with answers on Rudmore Send Off's !!

Robbo - thanks for the info but the thought of having a few beers with ferry spotters doesn't fill me with much excitement, and after taking a look at the discussion board I guess my assumptions were right. Present company excepted of course......

I think we'll probably be spotted at the Rudmore again next year.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 02:31:11 pm by pretzel » Logged

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 01:57:43 pm »

Is a bit rude that the daft buggers are still taking bookings for next year...  Angry

Mark, i have just made a booking !!! Very strange. Got as far as checking my card details.
My booking on BF was £512 for the car / trailer
P&O quote £521

Just spoke to Rich ( Mr P&O ), who said " Nothings in wroting , so if Brittany Dont take the charter of the Le Havre ships, they will have to run. If you make a booking, it may get taken over by Brittany, but nothings in writing. "

Maybe worth a go and get a booking if its cheap, Worst is they give you money back !

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: