Club Arnage
May 23, 2024, 09:31:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Road America  (Read 7029 times)
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 02:43:49 pm »

The flagstand at the top of the hill is hard to see clearly from the track until you crest the top.  The drivers were to wait until they saw the green flag in order to pass.  Apparently either the 5th or 6th place car jumped before the green came out and attempted a pass in between the car in front of him and the pit wall.  He scraped the wall, turned back in towards the track and tagged someone's rear end, spinning them.  There are now 2 cars at rest in the middle of the track, which the remaining 40+ cars behind can't see.  The red flag was now waving from a position halfway down the hill, but the drivers are all looking straight ahead at the track, not seeing it.  2 by 2, the rest of the field crests the hill only to find a pile of cars in front of them and no way to stop in time.  Repeat x 10.

I didn't see it, this is the story I was told.

This pic is taken from the top of some bleachers at the bottom of 14 and isn't an accurate representation of what the flagstand looks like from the track surface.  It will give you an idea of how steep the hill is, though.  (Almost).

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 02:47:40 pm by chop456 » Logged

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 05:25:35 pm »

From that account it sounds like a heck of alot of damage was caused as a result of a minor crash that then spiraled out of control.

Whatever, it does show that there are some lovely historic cars being raced. Hopefully all will be repaired, and ever those that are not will live on, maybe as two cars with the same id.

BTW. if yo look at the original post there are alot of comments at the bottom of the page from drivers, and people that witnessed the crash first hand.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 05:34:19 pm »

It looks as if the red 'vett and the yellow one next to it (Camero?) look as if they have vidio on board, should make intresting viewing Tongue

Bobble, they look like dash mounted tachometers to me.

Steve East Anglian cobras

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 05:53:12 pm »

Steve, if you look closely it realy looks like at least the Corvette has a inboard camera mounted just under the rear mirror. Mentioning the rear mirror, I can't see why they need that when they even don't care what's in front of them.  Grin

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Fax
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 06:44:46 pm »

Interesting pic there Chop.  Last time I was there in the seventies, the flagstand was drivers right and could've sworn it was further up the straight over the crest.  Lovely circut always.
Fax
downshift62
CA Veteran

We go to races!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 08:02:20 pm »

Interesting pic there Chop.  Last time I was there in the seventies, the flagstand was drivers right and could've sworn it was further up the straight over the crest.  Lovely circut always.
Fax
The flagstand id farther up the track than it looks in the pic.  Also that is much  larger and steeper hill than it appears.

I know.  I have ridden my bicycle up it several times.   Grin
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2005, 11:33:08 pm »

I like the Goodwood Revival's way of dealing with bad drivers. They are in the position of having an oversubscribed entry list so do not invite the dodgy drivers. In the drivers briefing they are warned that over enthusiastic driving will result in no invite for next year.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2005, 07:43:32 am »

I like the Goodwood Revival's way of dealing with bad drivers. They are in the position of having an oversubscribed entry list so do not invite the dodgy drivers. In the drivers briefing they are warned that over enthusiastic driving will result in no invite for next year.

Apparently the SVRA (Vintage assn.) have a mandatory 13 month suspension for causing contact during one of their events, effectively forcing the driver to miss the next year.  This was not an SVRA event, so I don't believe that applies.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2005, 10:09:55 am »

Does that mean Wille Green is banned this year for his effort taking of half the GT field last year, while a quick driver he ain't what he used to be & is overdriving now to try and do the times he did 20 years ago in the same cars.

Maybe Frank 'the w**k' Sytner will be spoken too as well, maybe the hardest driver in historics, caused more crashes IMHO than a gallon of oil on a wet track.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: