Club Arnage
June 08, 2024, 12:39:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Long to get to Cherboug after the race.  (Read 4504 times)
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2006, 09:19:49 am »

Hi,

One of our team has screwed up his trip back like catching a 21:00 Ferry home.

So how long does it take to get from Le Mans to Cherboug on a Bike.  (Leagally)  MapQuest says 3hours 30.  Which should mean he could leave at the end of the race and still make it.  I know when I used to do it in a car there were lots of places to get held up in.  I haven't been that way for years.  So any advice would be most welcome.

T.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Black Granny
CA Veteran

Please give generously, You know it makes sense!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 10:25:40 am »

It,s a trip of about 180 miles. Getting out of Le Mans and around the ring road will be a night mare straight after the race even on a bike. Bear in mind it win't finish until 17.00hrs this year. If he goes on the peage then the tolls at the end can cause long queues so best avoided. Using the Peage he will have to get off at Alencon or Sees anyhow.

Depending on the bike best to allow around 4 hours and don't forget getting fuel in France on a Sunday can be a bit tricky. Our credit cards don't seem to work in their automatic pumps.

Which ferry company is he travelling with? The Brittany ferry to Pompey goes at 20.15 and the one to Poole even earlier. Also bear in mind that you are suppposed to check in at least 45mins prior to departure (we are returning via Cherbourg on the Monday evening sailing to Pompey).

May be wise to depart before the end of the race to miss some of the exit rush.

Hope this helps

Mines a Gin & Tonic
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 01:22:29 pm »

Hi Blackgranny,

Yes the silly Boy thought it finished at 15:00. 

I have to admit I'd not thought of the delay at the toll booths.  It's not helped by the facy he has not been before so has a good chance of taking a wrong turn.

He tried changing ferry and they said no way.  I really can't belive that they can't fond space for one more bike on board.  <sigh>

t.

SpriteII
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:44:39 am »

Year before last we watched the end of the race from the esses after the Dunlop bridge, walked back to Houx and drove out of the circuit.  We were leaving the city limits less than an hour after the race.  It can be done (oh and that was in a car).
Douglas
CA Veteran

Cum on hear de noyse!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:51:29 am »

The best route out, clear for the last three years, is West down the lane between the Blue parking and camp. It takes you to the top ie North part of Arnage Village from where you turn right and end up on the Le mans by pass. We saw no traffic at all having left the race post finish but not waiting for all of the podium stuff.
As to the more general route we headed toward Granville and took the N road to Cherbourg, fewer Gendarmes and no tolls.

Best of British.

Doug

Rob
CA Veteran

i prefer 'em continental!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:06:36 pm »

is there no way of getting a later ferry, or next day? usually ferry company will be quite flexible if you miss you crossing, and given that he is on a bike, they could prob squeeze him on another one?

Dorset Lad
CA Veteran

Am Yum!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 03:20:46 pm »

As the race was finishing an hour later this year because of the world cup, I decided not to risk it and changed my ferry crossing from Sunday evening to Monday. I always use the St Malo - Poole route and as my departure is 20.10 I used to leave before the race ended. This way you drive straight out and away with no hold ups. I also have grandstand tickets right oposite the pits (Leonard), so I am sitting tight to watch all the finishing action.

Dorset Lad
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 03:48:35 pm »

Problem Solved he's wangled dome extra time off so will go back a few days later having take a sceanic route back via Switzerland.  Smiley

t

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: