Club Arnage
June 10, 2024, 04:20:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grp C Support Race 2004  (Read 16881 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 03:35:57 pm »

And not forgetting a few croque monsieurs Steve!!!

.....and perhaps a wafer thin mint ??   Wink

Steve East Anglian cobras

Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 03:39:07 pm »

Top news, the last time I saw any Group C was at Silverstone a couple of years ago, just made me wish I had gotten to LM sooner than I had.

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2004, 03:54:25 pm »

There is a God after all!!!!

And he's a Le Mans fan!!!!!   Cheesy
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2004, 05:43:09 pm »

This will create a bit of a dilema for our group - and several hundred others, who usually spend Saturday morning/lunchtime at the Champagne bar lubricating our necks.
I don't think I've witnessed a support race at Le Mans for about 5 years. I've heard them in the background, but the fairly serious business of getting pissed and sunburned simultaniously prevails usually. This is going to require a re-think.
It will be a new experience watching the 'depart de les vingt quatre heures' without a full-on champers buzz in progress.
Why the nostalgic pangs for Group C, I wonder? It got a lot of bad press at one point (Economy races of 84-85). I loved the 956/962 - but I think the Jaguar/Sauber era was just brilliant 89, 90 and 91 were the bollocks

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2004, 06:08:59 pm »

Matt, Take your stinking champagne down to the esses or tertre rouge and drink the muck down there. I know that's where I'll be, my fave viewing spot is where they exit the esses.

The 87-91 was the best ever I reckon. Bring on the noisy Sauber and the big flame crackling Nissan. Listen to the Silk Cat purr. Spice Cossie, say no more. And will there be a Rothmans Throat Strangler sponsored 962?

But will it be so good with some of the half arsed amateur drivers who run in the Gp C Championship? Who knows? Who cares? I don't, I'm just pleased it gives me something extra to look forward to, never a bad thing, and a bit of extra exitement and variety to the weekend, in and amongst all the piss ups.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2004, 06:49:25 pm »

Thats my worry as well, My memory of 956's Spices etc is of seeing them at full thoat out the esses spitting flame and noise.

What we may get is a couple of good drivers giving it a go and basking in the power, the rest may be like I would in a car that I own, valued at a couple of hundred grand with out the back up a large parts bin and full time crew, not to mention the money.

all credit to the guys how a prepared to give it a go and not consign there cars to a dusty musuem somewhere.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2004, 07:37:44 pm »

What we may get is a couple of good drivers giving it a go and basking in the power, the rest may be like I would in a car that I own, valued at a couple of hundred grand with out the back up a large parts bin and full time crew, not to mention the money.

However.......I certainly think some of the front runners in the classic LM support race were having a serious go.

Hopefully, the Group C boys will put on a bit of a show as well.

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2004, 08:06:42 pm »

Matt, Take your stinking champagne down to the esses or tertre rouge and drink the muck down there. I know that's where I'll be, my fave viewing spot is where they exit the esses.

Easy, Tiger. I take it you're not too keen on track cham-pain, then. In truth, nor are we, but it's become traditional.
Usually watch the start from outside of Dunlop curve, with the field rushing straight at us, at the drop of the tri-colour.
Ever higher concrete battlements and razorwire, combined with increasing numbers of morons in the crowd with golfing umberellas to shade the sun/deluge have made it a less attractice location of late.
Enjoyed the old run into the esses from the fairground side and the short chute into Tetre Rouge from the infield. Seeing and listening to the AMR1 on overrun into Tetre Rouge and then thumping down the straight, whilst enjoyong a beautiful, warm sunny Saturday evening and with a night on the lash in prospect was the absolute coolest thing.
Even if they do tippy-toe around for 40 minutes, it'll just be great to see them on the circuit again.  

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2004, 08:32:13 pm »

However.......I certainly think some of the front runners in the classic LM support race were having a serious go.

Hopefully, the Group C boys will put on a bit of a show as well.

Have to agree with you Steve, I think the majority of owners of this type of machinery like to see it being used in anger, usually paying experienced wheelmen if they are not up to it. Plus the extra kudos associated with the car if it wins adds to the value in circles where this kind of stuff is traded.

So bring on the Group C, it will certainly rekindle memories for me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 08:33:04 pm by pretzel » Logged

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2004, 08:33:26 pm »

Saw the Group C race at Donington last year - great cars, particulary the XJRs.   Some will be driven hard, some will be driven and some will be pedalled - but the main thing is seeing them out on the track - sights, sounds and memories - I for one will be trackside with ales in hand  Grin Grin Grin Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
dryhen
CA Veteran

Bedford CF Challenger

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2004, 08:45:58 pm »

But what about the most incredible (and painful !) noise of all - the rotary engined Mazda ? To be inside the Dunlop Bridge when that went through was unforgettable ! Smiley Smiley

The older I get, the faster I was.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2004, 10:07:55 am »

Those blasted Mazdas, the noise was painful & you could hear the things almost all the way round.
I wonder if any of them are in private hands? If not it may almost pay mazda to dust one off, put in a pro driver and reap the rewards.
There are some very good drivers in the series, Justin Law, Nick Adams etc, plus there is the promise of some named guest drivers, Andy Wallace who drove a Jag a while back.

How tempting it would be to wind up the boost, stick on some soft rubber and post a time quicker than a current LMP!, the times set at Donnington show that the GRp C cars are not that far away.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2004, 10:52:12 am »

Those blasted Mazdas, the noise was painful & you could hear the things almost all the way round.

Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
dryhen
CA Veteran

Bedford CF Challenger

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2004, 11:07:38 am »

Good job there's no sound to go with the picture, Mr Rick - the modem would think it had been struck by lightning! Shocked

The older I get, the faster I was.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2004, 11:11:40 am »

Am I right in recalling that there's a Mazda in the Le Mans museum - it would be nice to see some of those cars pulled out for a run - if they're able to now?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: