Club Arnage
April 19, 2024, 03:20:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1034782 times)
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: May 24, 2004, 08:04:14 pm »

Have you managed to find said spring Andy??  A powerful magnet on a piece of string might help??
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: May 24, 2004, 08:16:35 pm »

Have you managed to find said spring Andy??  A powerful magnet on a piece of string might help??

Alternatively, you could use the spring out of a ball point pen  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 25, 2004, 09:40:33 am »

BASTARD BASTARD BASTARD

f**ck THE f**ckING f**ckER THE f**ckING f**ckER'S f**ckING f**ckED

Andy - deepest sympathies - that really is a very impressive string of swear words, albeit lacking a little variety - must have been a major toys out of pram scene at the time, so you might need to talk nicely to it for a bit.   Remember the old mechanics sayings

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
You only need two tools - if it should move and doesn't use WD-40; if it does move and shouldn't use gaffer tape.

And remember some of the earlier themes in this thread (which incidentally has now passed 600 posts.....) including the curse of the Commer - may your Commer last forever..... Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 25, 2004, 10:23:19 am »

You only need two tools - if it should move and doesn't use WD-40; if it does move and shouldn't use gaffer tape.

So the best toolkit in the world would comprise WD-40 and gaffer tape.  Love it! - I'll get packed then!  Grin

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 25, 2004, 10:30:45 am »

So the best toolkit in the world would comprise WD-40 and gaffer tape.  Love it! - I'll get packed then!  

The alternative for the less subtly minded is, of course, a hammer and gaffer tape.... Grin Grin

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 25, 2004, 10:51:46 am »

The hammer always used to work for me.  Very useful for taking out the aggression when you lose the odd spring or two.

Woops, sorry Andy

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 25, 2004, 11:03:07 am »

Maybe Haynes should change the spanner rating on the jobs in their books to hammer rating  Grin

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 25, 2004, 11:50:28 am »

So the best toolkit in the world would comprise WD-40 and gaffer tape.  Love it! - I'll get packed then!  

The alternative for the less subtly minded is, of course, a hammer and gaffer tape.... Grin Grin

Don't forget an aggresive pair of pliers Smiley
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 25, 2004, 11:53:24 am »

Don't forget an aggresive pair of pliers Smiley

I can hear mine growling in the toolbox now!!  Grin
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 25, 2004, 11:57:31 am »

BASTARD BASTARD BASTARD

f**ck THE f**ckING f**ckER THE f**ckING f**ckER'S f**ckING f**ckED

Andy - deepest sympathies - that really is a very impressive string of swear words, albeit lacking a little variety - must have been a major toys out of pram scene at the time, so you might need to talk nicely to it for a bit.   Remember the old mechanics sayings

And remember some of the earlier themes in this thread (which incidentally has now passed 600 posts.....) including the curse of the Commer - may your Commer last forever..... Grin

Thanks for the support and ideas guys.

Mark, being in the military, I'm surprised you've never heard that expression before. I first heard it as a very young man when I was on fire picket at Sennybridge camp in Wales. The sergeant got us to test all the hoses, including the one coiled up on the gatehouse wall. It must have been there since national service days and had spent twenty odd years being blancoed and sitting in the sunlight, such as you ever get in Wales. We unrolled it and connected it to the hydrant. Once the water was turned on it virtually disintegrated and sprung about a thousand high pressure leaks, soaking said sergeant from head to toe with hilarious consequences. Purple with fury and looking like a big wet wounded peacock, he yelled at us to turn that effin' thing off.  He ended his order with the phrase above. The bastard got his own back by making us sleep on the guard house beds and we got eaten alive by bed bugs. What a dump that place was.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 25, 2004, 12:53:24 pm »

Nice to see you back to normal Andy.  Need any help down there?

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 25, 2004, 02:31:23 pm »

Mark, being in the military, I'm surprised you've never heard that expression before

Andy - probably something to do with the sheltered existence of a crab rather than a pongo, much more refined and educated you see my dear chap, and swearing is so frowned upon in these PC days.   Marvellous tale from Sennybridge though - certainly made the rest of the office wonder what I was cackling at.   You're right that the place was a rather a god-forsaken dump and I don't think it has changed much since then.    The Light Blue "mots juste" in tricky situations tend to be more brief and pithy, like the time a Jet Provost was getting airborne from Cranwell, one of our primary flying training stations.   Now, the Jet Provost was not endowed with a surfeit of power and thus had rightly earned its title as an aerial vacuum cleaner - variable noise, constant suck.   Off the end of the main runway was a nice line of poplar trees that had grown taller over the years, and one of the old and bold pilots had not factored this into his take-off calculations on a hot, windless day, which led - unsurprisingly - to a lack of adequate height to clear the trees.   In the midst of working like a one-armed paper hanger in the cockpit and just before the aircraft ploughed through the trees, the last call from him to Air Traffic on the radio was a cheery "Timmmbbbeeerrr!"    Grin Grin  In case anyone was wondering, he did survive as an older, bolder and wiser pilot.

Glad your SOH has returned - keep up the fine work and remember the other fine mechanics saying

If you can't fix it then bodge it..... Grin

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: May 25, 2004, 03:17:52 pm »

Wise words Mark, it works for me every time  Roll Eyes

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 25, 2004, 03:41:14 pm »

Mark, being in the military, I'm surprised you've never heard that expression before

The Light Blue "mots juste" in tricky situations tend to be more brief and pithy,

Glad your SOH has returned - keep up the fine work and remember the other fine mechanics saying

As a seventeen year old cadet, I was once shouted out on parade by a big loud sod, no doubt for some petty transgression, such as accidentally saluting with my left arm. His cap peak was nearly perpendicula to his nose, so as to obscure his eyes. Actually, he had only one good eye, the other being glass. You could tell which the glass one was as it was the only one with a flicker of humanity in it.

"Zarse! Still! Stand still!" He bore down on me and continued, "Hif hintelligence was haltitude, then hewd be a bleedin' 'ole in the ground!"....

I think he may have had a point.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 25, 2004, 05:18:12 pm »

His cap peak was nearly perpendicula to his nose, so as to obscure his eyes

Ah - falling foul of the marvellous form of the RSM or the RAF equivalentof the Station Warrant Officer!   How on earth they manage to operate with a view restricted to a 3" deep crescent centred on their toe caps I will never know.   I suppose what they lack in vision they make up for with volume.   Thing is they don't just restrict their comments to the great young unwashed of cadets and junior ranks and what wonderful characters they are, unbowed even by higher authority.   I will never forget a particularly fearsome SWO who was heard bawling across the parade square at some errant officer strolling nonchalantly across the surrounding grass - the words went "YOU - THERE - are making this Station look UNTIDY - Get OFF the grass NOW unless YOU want to COMB it back up NOW".  The said errant officer was none other than the Station Commander himself, a Group Captain, who unsurprisingly strode over to the SWO with the words - "I am the Station Commander and THIS IS MY STATION", to which the SWO simply replied "Indeed Sir, but Queen's Regulations require me to assist with the instructional development of inexperienced officers - it is Her Majesty's station - not yours.   I trust this will be the first and only lesson that I will need to give you ".........

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: