Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 04:04:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1029011 times)
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 02, 2004, 03:37:36 pm »

Nice pics Gibb. Shame I couldn't make it.

It was a very fine day Rick

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 02, 2004, 03:39:05 pm »

And penultimately..........Zarse actually claims to have fitted modern carburation to the hallowed vehicle

* Webber.jpg (48.09 KB, 640x480 - viewed 249 times.)

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 02, 2004, 03:41:45 pm »

And finally, the proud father displaying the state of the art air conditioning devices (wood blocks)

* Air_Con.jpg (79.8 KB, 640x480 - viewed 319 times.)

Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 02, 2004, 03:42:50 pm »

Even some old Lm veteran types made it.  Actually the one in the middle has been driven round the Bugatti circuit.

Is that Smokies caravan in the background?
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 02, 2004, 03:45:43 pm »

STOP PRESS.................STOP PRESS

Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry   Cry

Zarse has informed me that the Commer has failed its MOT on a large number of items.  As I write, legions of highly trained chimpanzees are swarming all over it in an effort to put things right.

We can only hope and pray for a just outcome.

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 02, 2004, 03:52:09 pm »

Is that a Rosette I see adorning her windscreen?Huh?  It doesn't seem to be there in the first shot!!

Can we assume she won a prize???  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 02, 2004, 03:58:39 pm »

Is that Smokies caravan in the background?

LOL, very good Stu.  actually there was some old bird doing Gypsy fortune telling.  I ask you   Roll Eyes

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 02, 2004, 04:00:23 pm »

Is that a Rosette I see adorning her windscreen?Huh?  It doesn't seem to be there in the first shot!!

Can we assume she won a prize???  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Very observant of you Mark.  The rosettes were distributed later in the day, and this one was for the exhibitor with the biggest nerve displaying what they had  Shocked

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #653 on: June 02, 2004, 04:34:01 pm »

And now for Steve Brown's homage to the Commer.  An original 1965 Cobra.  This one was race tuned engine delivering 500 horses, and the blasted ground shook when it fired up.  Awesome  

I've a strong feeling this is a fake.  It looks far too 'new'.  There's a company call Hawk Cars in Frant near Tunbridge Wells that have been producing '289' style cobras in fibreglass for a number of years now.

For the last couple of years, they've been involved in a joint venture with a US company called Kirkham to produce a '489' style cobra.
The aluminium body shells are made in a former Mig factory in East Germany.

The engine looks like a true '60's 427 cubic inch Ford side oiler, but they are still available if you've deep pockets.

The car in the photo's is styled as a 427SC (ie. a competition model) of which only a handfull of original were made and most are in the US.
Plus, the soft top looks very much like a Hawk item.

Sorry for my scepticism, I'm not easily impressed now  Wink

Thanks for the excellent photos anyway.

For more details, see here http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/hawk427/index.html

Steve East Anglian cobras

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #654 on: June 02, 2004, 04:36:36 pm »

And penultimately..........Zarse actually claims to have fitted modern carburation to the hallowed vehicle

Well it's got a sticker anyhow  Grin Grin

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 02, 2004, 04:37:07 pm »

I bow to your superior nowlege in these Matters Steve, but the guy had left a notice on the screed proclaiming its authenticity.  i didn't actually get to speak to him but Zarse did.  maybe he has a better take on it than I do.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: June 02, 2004, 04:38:02 pm »

STOP PRESS.................STOP PRESS

Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry  Cry   Cry

Zarse has informed me that the Commer has failed its MOT on a large number of items.  As I write, legions of highly trained chimpanzees are swarming all over it in an effort to put things right.

We can only hope and pray for a just outcome.

CATASTROSCOPE - all hands to the spanners, I'm on my prayer mat now.

Cry

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #657 on: June 02, 2004, 05:15:23 pm »

I've a strong feeling this is a fake.  It looks far too 'new'.  There's a company call Hawk Cars in Frant near Tunbridge Wells that have been producing '289' style cobras in fibreglass for a number of years now.

For the last couple of years, they've been involved in a joint venture with a US company called Kirkham to produce a '489' style cobra.
The aluminium body shells are made in a former Mig factory in East Germany.

The engine looks like a true '60's 427 cubic inch Ford side oiler, but they are still available if you've deep pockets.

The car in the photo's is styled as a 427SC (ie. a competition model) of which only a handfull of original were made and most are in the US.
Plus, the soft top looks very much like a Hawk item.

The Cobra had a full history rundown on the windscreen telling how it was salvaged from a burnt out wreck & giving a chassic number, I to was doubtful at first but left feeling it may have been real and why buy a LHD fake?.

Sorry to hear the commer failed the MOT, good luck on the rebuild and hope it makes it, if not enjoy LM anyway.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 05:18:25 pm by Nordic » Logged

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Felix
CA Veteran

I'm a fryer!

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 02, 2004, 05:20:38 pm »

This is bad news, you could have had my old chip van for a knock down price.  Other than the engine (that expired last year - remember) the other parts were useable.

(well, the carpet smelled of chip fat!)

Get 'em while they're hot.......they're lurvly
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 02, 2004, 06:44:52 pm »

It was good to see you Gibb and great piccies too. As a day out, it had plenty to recommend it and was a right proper lash up too; we eventually left the pub a little after closing time. Fortunately a girlfriend was pursuaded to drive the commer home after the fete.

Your pics makes the old bird look better than she is in real life.  As Nordic said, she's not as pristine as he thought she'd be! Cheeky swine! But good to meet Nordicand brother  and his wife and two lovely kids who were properly attired, I was pleased to note, in Le Mans teeshirts.

Yes MOT failed and not looking too hopeful, but perserverance is my middle name. Actually, it's not, it's John, but you know what I mean.

Steve, I'm no expert, but I'm sure it was not a cobra replica, though I understand your cynicism. It was certainly an alloy body version. Every item seemed original and had the proper pattina of age. As Nordic says, there was a pretty comprehensive list of spec and previous owners and dates of sale and purchase. The current owner inported from the States last year. It was originally sold by a dealer in Niagra Falls in 1965.  No wonder the carpet was still wet. It had only done 4500 miles from new. I am at variance with Nordic's reading of the accompanying notes. I thought it was the factory that burnt down, not the car. Still I was a bit pissed, so will defer judgement. Anyway, it was a real beauty.

PS Gibb, it has got a Webber carb, purchased last year from Speedy Spares in Shoreham to replace the totally knackered Solex unit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 06:46:17 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: