Club Arnage
April 26, 2024, 04:39:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1036943 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2004, 10:19:05 pm »

Now then - as we all return from Le Mans via various routes to our various abodes, the world awaits silent and hungry for news - did the Commer make it there and back?Huh??

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #706 on: June 15, 2004, 12:16:48 am »

Now then - as we all return from Le Mans via various routes to our various abodes, the world awaits silent and hungry for news - did the Commer make it there and back?Huh??

I saw the said Commer leabving Maison Blanche at about 0900 hours this morning, spluttering, and then it got trailered on the Autoroute to Alencon later, but it was going fine.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 15, 2004, 02:28:28 pm »

On Saturday finally got to see group C cars, AND the Commer in the metal. Both a glorious site, thought nothing could better that and then we had a great race to. Grin Cool Grin Cool
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 15, 2004, 03:38:10 pm »

I saw the said Commer leabving Maison Blanche at about 0900 hours this morning, spluttering, and then it got trailered on the Autoroute to Alencon later, but it was going fine.

The suspense and excitement is killing.   I expect a full write up of this tale of gritty determination from the man on his return.....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #709 on: June 16, 2004, 12:13:36 am »

Yes, it was there.  I personally inspected it for roadworthyness on Thursday evening in MB .......

......and hammered past it at 90 on Monday morning  Grin

(hope all is well Andy)

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 16, 2004, 12:33:34 pm »

(hope all is well Andy)

Steve - I note from the "I'm back" thread that the man himself has returned...........

Got back yesterday and checked straight into The Priory! They've just taken the straps off my wrists and I've stopped shaking just enough to type this. Full report later.

Seems to be in deep shock - either that or been drinking too much Red Bull as sustenance on the way back.......... Grin

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 16, 2004, 01:23:06 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement guys and to those who dropped by our site and showed an interest in the old girl. There were days in the run up that I though she just about wasn't going to make it.

On a strictly Commer theme, here are a few statistics for you to digest:

Average speed on run from LM to Ouistreham was 29mph including traffic jams, refuels, piss stops etc. Angry Embarrassed

Average fuel consumption for whole trip was 15.42mpg Sad

Milage travelled door to door and back again was 401 miles. Speedo turned to 53,666 just as we went past the turning to a village called Commeau! I absolutely kid you all not and I have witnesses to this! Now just how spooky was that?? Shocked

Top speed reached was 72.5 mph on the Commer speedo but Porsche 996 behind say it was only 66mph on his clock. Judge for yourselves which is more accurate! Cheesy

Interior accomm pretty good, it's nice to have a proper cooker, sink, shower and a foam bed. Cheesy

Reliability: Rather poor.  Angry

Radio and interior light packed up on way home.  Angry

Failed to start for return journey due to flat battery and had to be jump started. (Could be because radio and interior light had been on virtually for four days continuously.  Angry Angry Angry

Failure to make it up the ramp to get on the ferry without much stalling and clutch slipping (Could be cos she's only 40bhp and was freighted up to the bollocks with the whole camsite gear of nine people and carrying four fat people, sixteen crates of wine, five crates of cidre and twenty crates of beer).  Sad

Rear wheel nearly fell off just outside Fontwell racecourse on way home. (Could be due to some twat not tightening the nuts up properly when the tyres were being switched just before the off.  Angry Angry

No water or oil consumed but this hardly makes up for the above catalogue of abject unreliablilty and failure. Embarrassed

In summary, what a heap of sh it!  Angry

But she's a beauty, she's mine and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Kiss Kiss Kiss
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 01:29:33 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #712 on: June 16, 2004, 01:30:57 pm »

Well nice to hear the old girl made the trip Andy. Came looking several times but to no avail. Might have something to do with not being able to see thru the beer/whisky/brandy goggles that I was permanently wearing making up for not being a press room monkey for the first time in 7 years - and boy did I make up for it!!

Had LOADS of comments (all +ve) about the posters proudly displayed in the Pug - the Commer truly is a thing of legend!!

Oh and apologies to anyone who I offended at the Shampoo Bar - can't remember an awful lot about it to be honest!!!

Grin
Simes
CA Veteran

194.7bhp mmmm..

View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 16, 2004, 01:55:06 pm »

Whbat an adventure.....I came for a look too but could not find, saw a Bedford CF and a Transit MkI campers in Karting.....

any pics of this magnificent 'lady'?

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #714 on: June 16, 2004, 02:22:40 pm »

Bloody hell.  I feel a whole lot better now (having put 240 euros of petrol in the fire breathing monster)  Cry

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 16, 2004, 02:42:53 pm »

Andy,

Thank you, the world can now breath easy at the safe return of you and the old girl.  Smiley  Marvellous tale of non-stop adventure from a living legend  Shocked   Makes Shackleton's Antarctic exploits look positively non-descript  Grin  

Mark

gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 16, 2004, 03:34:58 pm »

But she's a beauty, she's mine and I wouldn't have it any other way.  Kiss Kiss Kiss

Well said Andy.  Glad she made it.  Did you get the new dizzy cap etc before leaving?

Oh,  and don't forget to get another MOT next month, to ensure next years arrival  Cheesy

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Chef
CA Veteran

Cooking up another llama

View Profile WWW
« Reply #717 on: June 16, 2004, 04:28:30 pm »

Bloody hell.  I feel a whole lot better now (having put 240 euros of petrol in the fire breathing monster)  Cry

i see the oil price went up again this morning. Can see why. Ouch!
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 16, 2004, 06:22:24 pm »

On Saturday this year, I purchased a wholy inadequate substitute for my own Commer.  The only thing I can say is that it's the same colour.  It has none of the charm grace and sophistication of the Commer.  It does not provide foam matresses to sleep on, or a proper sink and kitchen facilities, but I am going to love it anyway..........In my own sad inadequate way...................

Oh well here's a picture ----

* B1.jpg (25.1 KB, 260x195 - viewed 233 times.)

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #719 on: June 16, 2004, 07:21:14 pm »

Gib, are you going to go "Vroom vrooooom" on the carpet?  Wink

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: