Club Arnage
April 20, 2024, 12:01:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1035114 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 28, 2004, 11:23:17 pm »

Hadn't seen one in years until the Zarse mobile at LM and have now seen a couple in the last few weeks.

Probably something to do with resurrection from hibernation with the onset of warmer weather.   Now this one may not exactly qualify as a modern replacement, but it would be a slightly less old replacement - a source of spares for Team Commer Veloqx UK, or a potential competitor in the form of Team Commer Champion USA........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18308&item=2483143788&rd=1
............I hadn't realised they were still rolling them off the production line as late as 1974.......

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #736 on: June 28, 2004, 11:34:30 pm »

...or how about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2482265545
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 28, 2004, 11:41:30 pm »

Smokie - excellent  Shocked described as an "ex-Tokyo pimp wagon" it makes you wonder what on earth is going on in Derby these days... although the prospect of performance down the Mulsanne palls a bit when you read "2.0 litre engine".   Like the side exit exhaust - rather reminiscent of a 962 (if you stretch the imagination to breaking point).   Not sure about the rear deck, as it looks like the sort of thing you should be jumping off into water, like the back of the yachts moored uop in Monaco harbour....now I know the red wine is affecting the brain this evening.....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #738 on: June 28, 2004, 11:45:55 pm »

The front looks like a snow plow, or a cow catcher  Lips Sealed

Steve East Anglian cobras

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 28, 2004, 11:50:52 pm »

Far be it from me to distract from Smokie's outstanding find in Derby (the cow catcher at the front is probably for diving into the harbour when you've parke diot the wrong one round...) but I have happened across this - now either there is one German in Soltau who is being a tad unrealistic about the value, or Zarse is onto something - we should be told..........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9897&item=2483198768&rd=1

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2004, 12:03:46 am »

The front looks like a snow plow, or a cow catcher  

Sussed it now - the front and back extensions are really tables for the convenient enjoyment of picnics in roadside laybys and the sound systen is to drown out the sound of the artics roaring by...... Alternatively, you could play a tape of a rumbling Chevy 5.7 V8 to drown out the sound of a nissan 2.0 litre engine..........

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: June 29, 2004, 12:32:28 am »

Bloody hell Mark, nothing on the TV tonight?  Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 29, 2004, 01:53:31 pm »

............I hadn't realised they were still rolling them off the production line as late as 1974.......

Mark

You underestimate the longevity of the Commer. It finally ceased production as late as 1982. By then it was known as the Dodge Spacevan, with a horrid facelift that did away with the happy smiley face and replaced it with a nasty black plastic shroud. They also added a steering lock to stop it being nicked! As if! It was still crap too.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 29, 2004, 02:04:28 pm »

Far be it from me to distract from Smokie's outstanding find in Derby (the cow catcher at the front is probably for diving into the harbour when you've parke diot the wrong one round...) but I have happened across this - now either there is one German in Soltau who is being a tad unrealistic about the value, or Zarse is onto something - we should be told..........
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9897&item=2483198768&rd=1

In Germany huh? Probably once owned by either a disgruntled squaddie or an equally disgruntled holiday maker who gave up the struggled and dumped it in the barn. Thus for the current "owner" to be asking £6,500 for it, to my mind, does seem a touch on the high side.

These things are very valuable of course and the Germans notoriously have an appreciation of fine engineering, so anything is possible I suppose. Hope it makes it's reserve price. If so, I feel a little motoring trip to Germany coming on, with a one way air ticket home. You might say I'd sold my soul to Santa. Sorry, Satan.

I dare say HGB will be round to view it at the weekend.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 02:06:10 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 29, 2004, 02:18:55 pm »

Bloody hell Mark, nothing on the TV tonight?  

No - just distraction therapy from trying to find a campsite for the family holiday this year.... Grin

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2004, 02:21:31 pm »

A family camping holiday Mark? Have you considered visiting Germany? It's lovely around Hanover at this time of year and I know where there's a nice campervan out there and it's going cheap...

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2004, 02:32:16 pm »

Andy,

You underestimate the longevity of the Commer

Ceertainly did - looks they got their money's worth and more out of the design and tooling costs then!

Probably once owned by either a disgruntled squaddie or an equally disgruntled holiday maker who gave up the struggled and dumped it in the barn

with it being in Soltau, a squaddie of some years ago is quite possible - it looks like the sort of thing that might even have been a good old NAAFI wagon at some point... Grin

If so, I feel a little motoring trip to Germany coming on, with a one way air ticket home.
I applaud your usual spirit of adventure based on a description of "the wagon works" and pictures which show the right hand side held up a jack, presumably to disguise some sort of actual or imminent suspension collapse.....

Mark

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2004, 02:35:02 pm »

A family camping holiday Mark? Have you considered visiting Germany? It's lovely around Hanover at this time of year and I know where there's a nice campervan out there and it's going cheap...

Now there's a thought - ideal - drive out there and surprise the family with an all-inclusive self-catering package in the midst of a Hansel & Gretel type of dark German pine forest - they can go bear hunting.....whilst I fix it up and drive it back home - I can hear the cheers now on landing at Dover.....

Ferrari Spider
« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2004, 09:36:21 am »

Andy, following on from our conversation at Goodwood FOS, this is what i learnt  to drive in when i we're a lad!

* lcvroyalmail_051.jpg (29.42 KB, 600x323 - viewed 254 times.)
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2004, 10:09:47 am »

I bought my first Commer this week-end !

Ok it's just a Corgi milk delivery model, But I don't loose the hope of having one real one another day  Wink

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: