Club Arnage
April 26, 2024, 04:23:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 158   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Modern Commer Replacement  (Read 1037079 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: January 24, 2005, 10:58:38 pm »

Mind you, the Vauxhall Cresta PA has more of the '55 Chevy look

Steve East Anglian cobras

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: January 24, 2005, 11:01:36 pm »

You're all on crack. This thread is totally insane.

LOL
But it has long legs  Grin

Admit it Matt, you're intrigued  Shocked

Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 24, 2005, 11:03:22 pm »

Steve, not such a bad idea, the Astra/Cav/Carlton use the same basic unit but the Carlton mostly uses the Getrag box a little like the BMWs do. A very compact gearbox that would have fitted the tunnel even in my old midget (this plan was killed off by problems with the BMC flywheel ) Takes lots of power without complaining too. the GM unit comes in a wide variety of c.c.-nesses too. Even a diesel if for any motor than the Commer, which we know isn't a likely option.... is it???
Unlike the Beemer box the GM Getrag has a mechanical speedo drive too.

Bill

Cheesy

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: January 24, 2005, 11:06:25 pm »

Even a diesel if for any motor than the Commer, which we know isn't a likely option.... is it???

Mr Zarse has black listed the 'D' word on the pain of death (I did suggest a Transit diesel  Roll Eyes )

I still like the Porsche Boxster transaxle idea though!!!

jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 25, 2005, 10:01:19 am »

How about this??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29760&item=4521145051&rd=1

or this??

http://search.ebay.co.uk/triumph_Classic-Cars_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacategoryZ29751QQsoloctogZ3QQsosortpropertyZ1
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 25, 2005, 02:55:02 pm »

Steve, re your poster: "You Get a Touch of Genius in everything made by Rootes"  Huh Who the feck are they kidding?? Madness and genius are seperated by a fine line.

The Commer has the front subframe off the Snipe, and it's about two foot too narrow, thusly the wheels are too far inboard giving it it's comical handling traits. If that's genius I'll eat my hat.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, but I'll probably be sticking with a 1725 Rootes engine.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 02:58:27 pm by A Zarse esq » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 25, 2005, 04:33:52 pm »

Mind you, the Vauxhall Cresta PA has more of the '55 Chevy look

The Sunbeam Rapier fastback of 1967 resembled the 1966 Plymouth Barracuda (part of Chrysler USA) - coincidence? The Plymouth however had a one piece wrap around rear glass (the Rapier had a three piece) and was also available as a convertible. Both these Plymouth features would have suited the Rapier very well.

* cuda66ad.jpg (44.64 KB, 640x826 - viewed 273 times.)

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 25, 2005, 04:35:47 pm »

Here's the Rapier
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 04:39:13 pm by A Zarse esq » Logged

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 25, 2005, 04:42:12 pm »

Erm, try again!

* h120b.jpg (44.62 KB, 444x299 - viewed 238 times.)

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 25, 2005, 05:46:49 pm »

When I moved 'down south' as a youngster, the only really viable way to travel back North to see my mates was to hitch hike. You don't see many of these intrepid souls these days, but it left me with a few memorable experiences. Like been picked up by a textbook hairy arsed Glaswegian lorry driver. In his cab, without any load attached (I'm sure there's technical terms for these bits) he reckoned he was driving a sports car. Somewhere near Leeds, in a snowstorm, he slowed down and looked across at me:
HAGLD: "Dee ya like a driiink, geordie lad?"
H: "Please don't hurt me..."
The b*stard then pulled into a pub where, worryingly, although it wasn't called 'Cheers', everyone knew his name. He  emptied my pockets (and his) and went on to down about 8 or 9 pints, each with a chaser, in less than an hour. Straight back in the cab, he drove like a maniac, scaring the sh*te out of every other road user, and booting me out (it's about midnight now) in the middle of absolutely bleedin' nowhere when I tried to calm him down. It was February, if I remember rightly. I sort of miss those days.
Anyway, what reminded me of hitching, was all this talk of Snipes and Hillmans. I was picked up once, heading south, in a barge of a car, I can't remember what it was, but I'm pretty sure it had Rootes roots, as it were. The driver made a point of telling me, repeatedly, between slugs of Vodka, that it had a Rolls Royce engine, and was an exclusive piece of kit. It soon became apparent that he'd nicked it and was on the run, he was driving like a man with Fiery Jack in his pants (and drinking like a man whose passenger had other things in his pants to worry about). I think this was the first time I'd been in a car whose fuel gauge moved visibly downward, seemingly drawn by a magnet to the 'Empty' script, and it may have been the same for him, as it wasn't long before he started making demands with menaces, there was clearly not enough fuel on board to get us back to his manor in Olde London Towne, and he didn't have anything to buy some with. I didn't much mind the demands, but the menaces were a bit grim, I think all I could muster was about 50p. In those days, you could still spend fifty pence at a pump, although it wasn't going to get that motor much further, so I was surprised to see him fill it up. Paying for the fuel was an option he decided he didn't fancy, so it was back into the car, and a very smartish exit onto the A1. I jumped out and legged it through a hedge when we got to a roundabout near the north circular. I could see things weren't going to improve.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 25, 2005, 06:40:04 pm »

Ah yes, if it had a RR engine, I think it would have been a Vanden Plas Princess R (below). The RR engine was also fitted to several types of tracked military vehicles, so it was pretty unburstable.

My dad had a mate in Birmingham who owned one in the early seventies. His car used to belong to the Cheif Constable of Staffordshire Police and for about the first twelve months of ownership he continued to be saluted by officers wherever he went. He reckonned it was a liscence to drink and drive. I wonder.......?? Huh

* std_Vandan-Pla-4L-R.jpg (39.15 KB, 480x360 - viewed 271 times.)

The Planman
CA Veteran

Fresh Orange Juice isn't fresh without Vodka

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 25, 2005, 08:24:07 pm »

sh*t man - My Grand Dad, God rest his soul, had one of these!!  One of the first memories I had of being in a car!!  It was black with red leather seats.......... Had a big engine like a V8 or big bore straight 4.  Those of you who know there cars would be in the know.  I was about 3 or may be 4 years of age......... Great picture! Smiley
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 26, 2005, 04:06:11 am »

Hi Andy,
             My mate Tony had one of those Princess R.
 4 Litre inline 6  3 speed tansmission with Overdrive on 2 gears.
Overdrive was activated by a switch on the throttle . Brilliant car to drive. Did my first real road trip in it 1200 miles in 24 hours.
Cape Town to Etosha Pan in what was then South West Africa. Now Namibia.
His Dad had a Commer camper too.
Canada Phil
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 26, 2005, 05:42:23 pm »

Hi Andy,
             My mate Tony had one of those Princess R.
 4 Litre inline 6  3 speed tansmission with Overdrive on 2 gears.
Overdrive was activated by a switch on the throttle . Brilliant car to drive. Did my first real road trip in it 1200 miles in 24 hours.
Cape Town to Etosha Pan in what was then South West Africa. Now Namibia.
His Dad had a Commer camper too.
Canada Phil

Phil

Your mate and his Dad were self-evidently men of fine taste and discernment. What led you to be in that part of the world?

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: January 26, 2005, 09:48:40 pm »

I get the idea there is about as much hope of the commer getting a new engine as my mini going on the ferry without a tow rope ?

Take life by the horns and live it.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 158   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: