Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 11:57:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mustang Sally  (Read 28285 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 04:42:10 pm »

Thunderbolt

George Eyston's late 30's LS record breaker

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »

Well, done Rup.  That's the land bit done.

2 more applications to go.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Ferrari Spider

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 05:02:48 pm »

You want clues already!

of course not, just want to see if you know what you are talking about or is it just the usual bollocks Grin
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »

Well you haven't been very pro-active with providing an answer yet - usual bluster and BS.

Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 06:15:11 pm »

Bill, for an extra point, what is the most striking difference beween the chippy's and the rest of the aircraft in the flight?

here I can only cheat

I have flown in many Chipmunks

I have never flown in any other aircraft in the BBMF, not even the doughty old Dakota, although Gwyn, the guv'ner flew in daks to france as a schoolgirl

lucky bugger!

what had two Rolls Royce R engines?

Whirlwind or Manchester? Didnt the R become the Vulture?

Or is it the dunces corner again for me?

NO I WAS WRONG.........

this time I tried Wiki

George Eyston built a car with two R's in it, Thunderbolt

and blimey o'reilly they were the two Supermarine S6B engines relocated one even won the Schneider Trophy

Thanks for making me look that up Steve

new things every day

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Ferrari Spider

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2010, 06:35:24 pm »

Well you haven't been very pro-active with providing an answer yet - usual bluster and BS.

yep, usual ball sh*t from you, nothing changed there, hows the fake car...
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33:06 pm »

Bill, for an extra point, what is the most striking difference beween the chippy's and the rest of the aircraft in the flight?

Aside from two sticks in tandem, and the Dak had two side by side, so I don't imagine it's that, do you mean the non-period shiny black finish?

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 12:02:35 am »

I must look up the serials of  the BBMF Chippys, to see if either of them is in my ATC cadet logbook.

I wish I'd logged the ones I flew in as a Civilian Instructor in later years

I thnk Mark will be right about the colour scheme

come on Peter spill'em

bill

nopanic - neil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 10:40:00 am »

Another teaser question - what had 2 Roll Royce 'R' engines?

did a google search for Miss England II and came up with this   

not sure if that is right  Roll Eyes

but could be this one

Miss England II was built for Lord Wakefield in 1930, who had obtained a pair of the powerful new Rolls-Royce type R V-12 engines. Miss England II which was was 38 feet long with a beam of nine feet. She had been designed by Fred Cooper.

Speed:      98.76 mph (85.82 kn; 158.94 km/h), Sir Henry Segrave, 13 June 1930, Windermere
                110.28 mph (95.83 kn; 177.48 km/h), Kaye Don, 9 July 1931, Lake Garda

If you're going through hell, keep going.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 11:15:48 am »

Well done Neil, 2 boats makes the set (Rup got the car)

So -

George Eyston - Thunderbolt LSR car
Henry Segrave - Miss England II WSR boat
Kaye Don - Miss England III WSR boat

all had 2 Rolls Royce 'R' engines

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 12:28:39 pm »

Bovril
Morning, squadron leader.
Squadron Leader
What-ho, Squiffy.
Bovril
How was it?
Squadron Leader
Top hole. Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father. Hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.
Bovril
Er, I'm afraid I don't quite follow you, squadron leader.
Squadron Leader
It's perfectly ordinary banter, Squiffy. Bally Jerry ... pranged his kite right in the how's yer father ... hairy blighter, dicky-birdied, feathered back on his Sammy, took a waspy, flipped over on his Betty Harper's and caught his can in the Bertie.
Bovril No, I'm just not understanding banter at all well today. Give us it slower.
Squadron Leader
Banter's not the same if you say it slower, Squiffy.
Bovril
Hold on, then. (shouts) Wingco!
Wingco
Yes!
Bovril
Bend an ear to the squadron leader's banter for a sec, would you?
Wingco
Can do.
Bovril
Jolly good.
Wingco
Fire away.
Squadron Leader
(draws a deep breath and looks slightly uncertain, then starts even more deliberately then before) Bally Jerry ... pranged his kite ... right in the how's your father ... hairy blighter ... dicky-birdied ... ... feathered back on his Sammy ... took a waspy ... flipped over on his Betty Harper's ... and caught his can in the Bertie.
Wingco
... No, don't understand that banter at all.
Squadron Leader
Something up with my banter, chaps?
A siren goes. The door bursts open and an out-of-breath young pilot rushes in in his flying gear.

Pilot (Michael)
Bunch of monkeys on your ceiling, sir! Grab your egg and fours and let's get the bacon delivered.
General incomprehension. They look at each other

Wingco
Do you understand that?
Squadron Leader
No, didn't get a word of it.
Wingco
Sorry old man, we don't understand your banter.
Pilot
You know ... bally ten-penny ones dropping in the custard ... (searching for the words) um ... Charlie Choppers chucking a handful ...
Wingco
No, no ... sorry.
Bovril
Say it a bit slower, old chap.
Pilot
Slower banter, sir?
Wingco
Ra-ther!
Pilot
Um ... sausage squad up the blue end!
Squadron Leader
No, still don't get it.
Pilot
Um ... cabbage crates coming over the briny?
Squadron Leader
No.
Wingco, Pilot and Bovril
No, no ...
Stock film of a German bombing raid.

Voice Over
But by then it was too late. The first cabbage crates hit London by July 7th. That was just the beginning...

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 12:06:21 am »

H,

Excellent period banter old chap, but I'm sorry it's just not with post-Merlin (the helicopter, not R-R engine) days you know..... I mean, it's a bit like looking bamboozled over "look mate, we routed a quick one through Architect via mike charlie 6, pulled wool over the cloggy tube monkeys, fired up the cans so homebound like greased weasal sh*t across the puddle and stopped the Erics pulling a Fox 2 by spanking the firewall and firing off random rounds.  Parcels in the oggin went for a ball of chalk off the plot at 12 o'clock but delivery would have created instant sunrise anyway, so we scraped the cab onto the tarmac to hit the Mess for tea, toast and medals".  

Which roughly translated might mean that "we got airborne from Germany and the US controller routed us immediately over an accepted turning point over the North Sea (designated MC6) albeit without the permission of Dutch ATC, to return to the UK.  An attempted GDR intercept was foiled by engaging full reheat and firing chaff and flares.  Although the training drop on the Wash ranges was completely unplottable by the range controllers, the nature of the weapons simulated would have made no difference to the effect.  We landed the jets safely and made Happy Hour in the Mess.....

And we think we have problems translating between languages..... Wink

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 12:51:06 am »

Didnt the R become the Vulture?

Bill,

Not quite, the potential of the R racing engine for the Scheider Trophy planes was developed into the Merlin, in line with R-R's naming of aero engines after birds of prey, and was supplanted in time by the Griffon.  But, in keeping with those times of rapid technological development many things happened in parallel so, while developing the R into the Merlin, the Peregrine was their ultimate development of the pre-war Kestrel engine, via the Goshawk, and the Vulture was a pair of Peregrines coupled together into an X-24 cylinder configuration with a common cranckcase, but it was unreliable, so development of the Merlin won the day because of power, weight and development potential.  But then the R engine came from the Buzzard, designed by R-R and built in the late 20s, also referred to as the "H" engine, which was then developed into the "R" by scaling-up the Kestrel.  The Kestrel came about because of the Curtiss D-12, one of the first aero engines made with a cast block rather than with individual cylinder pots bolted to a separate crankcase, so it was simpler to manufacture as well being lighter and stronger.  The D-12 was one of the most powerful engines then and no British company could offer anything comparable; when Fairey imported them, the Air Ministry ordered Napier and Rolls-Royce to start work on cast block engines.  Napier's chief engineer had developed the Napier Lion to its potential, wasn't allowed to go further, so deserted to R-R and designed the new engine to use supercharging at all altitudes, enabling a quantum leap forward in performance.  

The common factor in all the R-R "birds" engines is that they were all V-12, cast block, pressurised liquid-cooled, internal combustion, piston powered, engines, whatever they ended up being used in....and if all of that is not clear, just think birds of prey.... oh and add the ironic twists that Willy Messerschmitt tested the first ME Bf 109 V1 prototype fitted with a R-R Kestrel engine in 1935, because the German designed DB engines intended for it were not ready. And that the Reich Air Ministry had acquired 4 Kestrel engines by trading a Heinkel He 70 Blitz (the civilian mail plane predecessor to the He-111 bomber) for Rolls Royce to use as as an engine test-bed for the Kestrel....

MG Mark
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 12:52:44 am by mgmark » Logged

Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2010, 03:35:47 pm »

Didnt the R become the Vulture?

Bill,

Not quite,....... (Edited for brevity)

MG Mark

Yes when I cheated using Wiki I followed all the relevant streams, why d'you think I replied so late after the initial Miss England had been unmasked   Cheesy

I got carried away 'cos the thirties were a magnificent time for piston engine development

scary really when Frank Whittle was already working on gas turbines

bill

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 11:17:50 pm »

Indeed, and although it takes us a way from the thread title, it of course led you to the likes of this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AJcdtGh8fA&feature=related

MG Mark

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: