Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 07:20:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Movies about Le Mans  (Read 27276 times)
baszero

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 10:31:07 pm »

Licence to Le Mans was released in the UK on DVD on Monday (25th).

I hope they edited Tiff out of most of it.
I preordered the movie and therefore it also already listed on the web site:
http://baszero.ch/racing/2009/11/license-to-le-mans/

But Thanks for the remark... I'm curious whether that's a good one...
Fisherman
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:08:31 pm »

Play.com tell me they've dispatched so hopefully over the weekend I should be able to report back on whether it's any good and the extent of Tiffany Dell's annoyingness.
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 11:19:33 pm »

Sorry, but perhaps a little naive, I always quite like Tiff.

Sorry, but no I am not, so there, each to his own I suppose. I am told that people like to wrestle coated in butter or strap crabs to Mr Willie! What is stranger than that?

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 10:35:16 am »

Sorry, but perhaps a little naive, I always quite like Tiff.

I don't dislike him, but when you watched this on the TV, they repeated his intro every episode, got a bit tiring seeing the same clip 6 times.
There was a lot of padding/repartition in the series, a good visit to the cutting room should solve the problem.
Unlike the 2 Rollacenter films, this seemed to have been made for a wider audience, and suffered for it, ALMS soap, rather than a drama.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 10:38:18 am by Barry » Logged
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 02:00:37 pm »

Mine has arrived - I just need to pluck up the courage to watch it.

The other one that might be considered for the list is "Diaries of a Gentleman".  I think this chap was touring France in his Bentley in the 1920s and came across Le Mans at about the time of the race, so they persuaded him to have a go, and I think he came fourth.  He stopped to dress for dinner, of course.

Several of the old favourites have not been released on DVD, like Coburn's Fast Drive, plus there are a couple about Jaguar in the late 80s, and two videos of the 1988 race (three actually but two are almost identical) [/anorak off - emergency status]

There seems to be a big gap from 1969 to 1980

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
baszero

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 11:04:01 pm »

I received "Licence to Le Mans" on 4 DVDs this week. Absolutely great I think.
Thanks for all the infos, very appreciated....

http://baszero.ch/racing/2009/11/license-to-le-mans/
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2010, 08:23:56 pm »

I don't dislike him, but when you watched this on the TV, they repeated his intro every episode, got a bit tiring seeing the same clip 6 times.
There was a lot of padding/repartition in the series, a good visit to the cutting room should solve the problem.
Unlike the 2 Rollacenter films, this seemed to have been made for a wider audience, and suffered for it, ALMS soap, rather than a drama.
I totally agree about the repeats and padding, so it is a bit slow, and I'm worried that Lord D is becoming a nausiating little pr**k.  It started when Tiff (who seems to already become one) asked who the previous owner of his house was - Princess Michael, and then they show the kiddies in the fencing room.  Mind you with that amount of loot, I'd have gone for Le Mans first, and then bought the peerage.

Having said that, even with the one eye, he's not much slower than his hotshoe partner, and there's some excellent footage, But I might have to edit it for June.

Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 09:51:01 am »

A Fast drive in the country -
Synopsis.
Actor James Coburn drives a number of the original cars and leads the viewer through the history of the Le Mans 24 Hour Road Race, one of the most popular road races in the world. Using archive footage, the film captures the birth of the race in 1906 and features the great rivalry between manufacturers.
ASIN: B00008T6TB

NOEL'S LE MANS DREAM, Follow Noel as he is part of a team that ran a pair of Panoz in 97.

A Gentleman's Motor Racing Diary Vol.2
Product Description
This is the story of motor racing in the 1950s as told, and filmed, by a man who was at its very heart - John Tate. cover loads of races, mainly F1 but also the 1959 Le Mans race.

Speed Merchants
Synopsis
A documentary charting the progress of the 1972 Manufacturers Championship Series through the eyes of Mario Andretti and Vic Elford.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 10:26:55 pm »

A Gentleman's Motor Racing Diary Vol.2
Product Description
This is the story of motor racing in the 1950s as told, and filmed, by a man who was at its very heart - John Tate. cover loads of races, mainly F1 but also the 1959 Le Mans race.

Having recently obtained two collections of three DVDs by John Tate I can well recommend them as they cover 1950 to 1959 (  but more to come I believe ). Good Le Mans coverage taken with a  cine camera including laps of the circuit whilst the track's open, and lots more of interest.
The 1959 DVD includes  Sebring with the course lay out defined by straw bales, oil drums, tyres and cones. Unused roads being blocked off with official cars !! Never having been to Sebring I wouldn't imagine it's still the same?  Oh, and by the way it rained for that race !!

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
mackteck

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55:23 pm »

I didn't see "truth in 24" on the list- awesome
http://www.truthin24.com
http://www.audi-collection.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=AHP424&SKW=ahp424&Cat=&SubLevel=&lcat
arnage74

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 04:41:41 pm »

The 1959 DVD includes  Sebring with the course lay out defined by straw bales, oil drums, tyres and cones. Unused roads being blocked off with official cars !! Never having been to Sebring I wouldn't imagine it's still the same?  Oh, and by the way it rained for that race !!

can you provide a URL where to buy these DVDs?
arnage74

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »

True, not in the list, but available at the mentioned location since months: http://baszero.ch/racing/movies
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 06:37:01 pm »

can you provide a URL where to buy these DVDs?

Found mine on fleabay but you could try Fastforward Music Ltd on 01743 210555 or www.fastforwardmusic.co.uk

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 09:05:02 pm »

There's some of 1959 on The Racing DBRs or something similar.

I think I've found 1967 on DVD too

baszero

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 04:00:15 pm »

Thanks to all contributions so far.
List updated in first post of this thread!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: