Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 08:20:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell Tom Walkinshaw  (Read 6939 times)
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:28:47 pm »

From Autosport.com

"Former racing driver and team owner Tom Walkinshaw has died. The 64-year-old had been suffering from cancer."
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:59:49 pm »

RIP Tom.  You deserve it after working with those bastards in Aussie.   Wink

Dx

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 02:38:43 am »

Farewell Tom. And thanks for all those Jag GpC memories.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 02:56:49 am »

Sad Sad Sad

Dx

Lovely post...  Embarrassed

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:08:05 am »

Sad Sad Sad

RIP Tom, a man that will be be fondly remembered for bring us some great motor racing memories. Aside from his F1 interests, he brought us the TWR Volvos in the BTCC and dared to enter an estate, (loved that car) Brought the big cat, Jaguar's back into front line racing with great success and started the Holden Racing Team of which I am also very interested in as a V8 fan.

By Briar Gunther

1:33 PM Mon 13 December, 2010

Source: BigPond Sport

Toll Holden Racing Team (HRT) owner, Tom Walkinshaw, died overnight aged 64 following a long battle with cancer.

Walkinshaw Racing Managing Director, Craig Wilson, expressed his deepest sympathy on behalf of the whole team.  

“As we all know, Tom was very passionate about motor racing and he achieved much success as a driver and team owner in his lifetime,” Wilson said.

“Those who know Tom know a tremendous competitor. But having worked for him for over 20 years I also know him as someone with amazing entrepreneurial spirit and someone with real insight into this business.

“He will be sadly missed, but we owe it to him to continue the success we have enjoyed under his watchful eye.”

Holden Chairman and Managing Director, Mike Devereux, also paid tribute to Walkinshaw.

"On behalf of the men and women at Holden, I'd like to extend our deepest sympathies to Tom's family, friends and co-workers across the world," he said.

"For more than 20 years Tom's pursuit of excellence helped forge our brand's reputation as a performance leader both on and off the track through the creation of Holden Special Vehicles and the Holden Racing Team.

"His contribution not only to Holden, but the automotive industry is legendary and will never be forgotten."

Walkinshaw was born in Scotland and before becoming a team owner he raced across the globe.

He was the 1969 Scottish FF1600 Champion and won his class driving a Ford Capri in the 1974 British Touring Car Championship.

He won the 1984 European Touring Car Championship in an XJS Jaguar and finished third in the 1985 Bathurst 1000 with Win Percy while John Goss and Armin Hahne won the race in another of his cars.

Walkinshaw founded HRT with General Motors Holden in 1988, at the same time establishing the high performance car company Holden Special Vehicles.

His involvement in local motorsport extends beyond the six-time Bathurst 1000 and six-time V8 Supercar Championship winning HRT.  

He was instrumental in establishing Holden Young Lions earlier this decade, which then became K-Mart Racing and then the HSV Dealer Team.

In 2010 Walkinshaw Racing ran Toll Holden Racing Team and Bundaberg Red Racing.

Walkinshaw is survived by his wife Martine and sons Ryan and Sean

* btcc_1994_rydell.jpg (217.71 KB, 672x448 - viewed 403 times.)
nickliv

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 08:41:59 am »

RIP Tom. Sad

If I had all the money I've ever spent on drink, I think on balance, I'd probably spend it on drink.
Bas
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 06:01:22 pm »

RIP Tom.

Tom @ Bathurst:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9I7GWllPFY
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 06:14:13 pm »

RIP Tom. I'll never forget seeing you from the grandstands when you took color and sprayed "We will be back" on the pitwall after loosing to Porsche in 1987 - and you came back and took it in 1988!

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:21:02 pm »

RIP Tom. I'll never forget seeing you from the grandstands when you took color and sprayed "We will be back" on the pitwall after loosing to Porsche in 1987 - and you came back and took it in 1988!

RIP Tom

* Le Mans003.jpg (90.16 KB, 912x587 - viewed 423 times.)

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:05:37 pm »

Sad Sad Sad

Dx

Lovely post...  Embarrassed
Always two sides, he had a reputation for not paying his bills, a friend of mines fathers engineering company actually went Bankrupt because of it. On the other hand, he created and ran some great teams who built some great cars.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 09:28:42 pm »

Agreed Rhino, there are always two sides.  I learned along time ago that there are very few saints in the motor racing industry.  He was a terrific entrepreneur, and his contribution to Jaguar's Group C and IMSA GTP success cannot be overstated.  But he also made more than  a few enemies, and screwed some people along the way.
RIP Tom
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 09:51:55 pm »

RIP - to a motivator and organiser who made stuff happen......

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 07:57:57 pm »

i remember his sd1 at silverstone tt in 85.my 2nd motorace.helped get me into watching it.tough scot,hell be missed by most.not afraid of upsetting the apple cart though. 

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »

Great memories from watching him in ETC XJS and Rovers, through to the GpC glory days.

He spoke to me once at Silverstone in 1987. I was stood in a doorway and I congratulated him on his win. He looked at me down his nose, said "Shift!" and pushed me aside.

He went from being a complete hero to me - from running the team through to his driving ability, even though I was aware his people skills weren't of the highest order - to being seen as a bit of a tosser. His disgraceful treatment of the wonderful Win Percy left a very sour taste. He was a rude arrogant bugger, and apart from winning LM etc, I wasn't overly sad when he lost it all in Arrows GP racing foray.

Still, I wouldn't wish this terrible ill on him, so RIP Tom and thanks for the memories.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 04:56:25 pm by Andy Zarse » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 06:15:10 pm »

Relax Zarse....Christmas is over...... Roll Eyes

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: