Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 03:31:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New position for Radio Le Mans  (Read 5672 times)
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:20:29 am »

Paul Truswell of Radio Le Mans has posted in his latest blog the ACO have moved the commentary position from opposite the pits to the inside the Ford chicane. Not sure of the logic of that, move the commentators from the main view.

http://trussers.blogspot.co.uk/

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:31:01 am »

Seems a strange place to put them I agree.  But then most of the commentary is done from tv pics and time screens I would imagine, as not much of the circuit can be seen from anywhere so it's not the end of the world.  RLM has their own pit lane reports so they won't miss too much from there, just the overview from across the track. 

I guess the one issue is with the pre-race stuff on the grid, which won't be seen by the commentators other than on TV, If I was part of RLM I'd get a grandstand seat and a radio microphone and cover the start from there!

I wonder what the ACO plan to do with the old commentary booths?  Maybe a big hospitality suite?

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:08:27 am »

If the commentary team are moved to a position where they don't get a good view of the Pits then I feel that will detract from the commentary.  Let's face it the Pit stops can be a big factor in the Race so IMNSHO they need a good position were they can see all the action in the pit lane.  The pit Lane crew are good for the real detail but not for the overall view.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Andy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm not a llama! I'm a Le Mans'er

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 12:57:42 pm »

RLM commentators usually give the pit crew a heads up on who comes in to pit lane and the ask them to go get the scoop as it happens, I agree this may now be somewhat difficult to do unless they have an eyeball on the pit entrance from FC.

Andy
Simon13
CA Veteran

I hate the waiting!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:15:02 pm »

On the map on Pauls blog it appears they will be overlooking the pit entry so should still be able to give a heads up, if anything with a bit more notice.  However they will not be able to see the start nor the tropht gantry for the prizegiving.
slash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »

The worst thing for Trusser's point of view will be that it buggers up his lap chart, he has always kept very detailed and accurate lap charts.

True that a lot of commentary is, and has for some while been done with reference to TV feeds, but being able to see the pit area is a real bonus. The problem is that everyone assumes the ACO actually want Radio Le Mans, my experience when working on the station was that they didn't, and would be far happier if the need to provide an English language service vanished overnight.

The moral here is if you don't want something, make it as difficult as possible!

Slash
Buck Bundy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:02:03 pm »

It's a shame as little things will be missed.

A few years back they noticed a pile of orange wig wearing dutch fans started getting excited immediatley below them (just in front of me), and then realised it was because the Racing For Holland garage door had opened following repairs, all unseen by the TV cameras up to that point.

A little thing maybe, but I like the little things in life!
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:04:09 pm »

What complete bo11ocks.  Corporate hospitality has won again, and RLM have been moved to Beusejour.  Mind you from previous years its seems they had such a good view, they might as well been in Arnage

Gentlemen, I think its time to boo el Presidente for his efforts at ruining the event over the past 20 years

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Tubs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 01:02:26 pm »

There seems to be an assumption that the view from the old commentary boxes was a good one.....it wasn't. It was necessary to go out on the balcony, or very awkwardly lean across the desks in the booths in order to see anything that may be remotely useful to a commentator. Provided the new booths are built up above the concrete perimeter wall, the commentary team will now have an uninterrupted view over pit entry and the Ford Chicane - yes, they will actually be able to see the cars!  Shocked

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:15 pm »

But unless they have fixed cameras showing the pits they can't keep an eye on things. Paul Trusswell seems to keep an amazing record of what has happened to cars in the pits.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: