Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 02:33:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Oreca 'entry level' prototype  (Read 2861 times)
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:38:33 am »

This is what Oreca say about their new 'accessible' proto.

ORECA launches a new « entry-level » prototype in 2013 !

After Formula Le Mans and LMP2, an ORECA prototype corresponding to « CN » sportscar rules will hit the track next year. ORECA  is  expanding its constructor programme with the launch of a third line of prototypes :  a car destined competition an leisure will be born  in 2013. In 2009, ORECA launched the Formula Le Mans and two years later the ORECA 03 made its race debut. Since then, the car has accumulated successes and podiums in endurance racing, and shined at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In  offering a third prototype, destined for competition and leisure, the Groupe ORECA is taking on a new challenge and entering a new market. 

The new ORECA prototype will compete in « CN » sportscars  competition, such as the VdeV series, Speed Euro Series, international and national prototype championships, as well as hill climbing events.  Against previously established competitors, ORECA wished to set themselves apart as Hugues de Chaunac confirms :  "Our design and study department worked on this project, relying on CFD tools (digital wind tunnel testing) and structural calculations at our disposal. Innovation is part of our DNA and it was logical for us to go in this direction. Our goal is to offer a package that is competitive and attractive, while respecting the spirit of the particular discipline.  In addition, we are particularly attentive to the needs of our customer teams, which is why a customer support program will be put in place to accompany them in their adventure. "

* 2012_ORECA_Announcement_EntryLevelPrototype_1.jpg (91.01 KB, 600x424 - viewed 295 times.)

* 2012_ORECA_Announcement_EntryLevelPrototype82.jpg (59.21 KB, 600x424 - viewed 238 times.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:12:03 am by Grand_Fromage » Logged
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:29:47 am »

I was quite interested until I scrolled down and saw the photos. A race car should be muscular yet pretty. That car is neither.

Does anyone know of any reasonably priced '70s Lolas or Chevrons for sale? A much better way to spend your money than the Oreca.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 10:54:01 am »

I don't think it looks that bad. At least it's free of the ugly and pointless FIA shark fin.

However, I'm not sure that Oreca are doing the right thing by producing yet another prototype, even more watered-down than the FLM.

I guess they've done market research and they believe there are enough rich folks out there who want an Oreca track-day car. 

Personally, I too would go for something more historic for joy-rides on the race track..

http://www.chevronracingcars.com/forsale/for_sale.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 10:57:39 am by Grand_Fromage » Logged
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:34:52 pm »

I have no doubt that there is now a strong market for low cost race/track cars. You only need to look at the success of Radical and such clubs as the 750mc. Looking back at the Classic too, so many folk who have bought into racing as a leisure activity rather than an investment or a serious sporting intention.

I also think this is where Lola missed a trick. How many people can afford to do a full campaign with a LMP2 car? They focused to heavily on a very small market. Had they produced a car aimed at club racers and track day fans then the company may have survived. Hats off to Oreca for having the foresight and courage to offer such a product.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 10:07:41 am »

On the whole I have a great deal of respect for De Chaunac's instincts.  8 Oreca chassis in this year's P2, plus interests in the Toyota team ain't bad by anybody's standards.   At least it's a coupe.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: