Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 07:59:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! I've lost the faith!  (Read 23205 times)
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 06:20:38 pm »

Very well put Termie.
 Cool

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Scottie917

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »

Hi guys,

Certainly some interesting comments here. I agree that watching the event on Eurosport is no comparison to actually being there.

I certainly have always enjoyed the atmosphere surrounding the event: the camaraderie, camping, BBQs, pastis, kronenbourg, the frites merguez and not to mention all the toilet-related anecdotes!

I just felt that the race had lost something this year although I now realise that I'm in the minority and that's cool!  Smiley

On a different note, I mentioned in my first post about 'not wanting to go down the F1 route' but what do you guys think about introducing a limit on the amount of fuel each team can use or the number of tyres? Isn't that exactly what endurance racing is about - being as efficient as possible? Could that improve the show even further?
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:42 pm »

I guess that the Green X Challenge was introduced with that sort of thing in mind but the ACO is surely caught between a rock and a hard place here?  If they are to keep the private teams interested in the minor classes then they can't go around massaging the rules so much that they can't afford the more highly developed cars required to achieve better fuel economy/tyre use.    More importantly, most of the teams realise that to win they need to be in the pitlane as little as possible and thus the tyre and fuel thing is, to some extent, self-developing anyway in endurance racing.  And what was the Delta Wing you so seem to dislike if not a car which used fewer  tyres and less fuel?  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:44:16 pm by termietermite » Logged

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
gatordad

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 08:25:19 pm »

I heard a report that in two years or so there will be no limit on engine size, displacement, cylinders or how it breaths but there will be a limit on the amount of fuel it can use.  Has anybody else heard that?

I would surely hope that some of you gear heads come visit us in Florida next march.  though you all are set up for the friends and family deal at LM, we have a pretty fun time at Sebring and it's not all racing...even though the track is totally walkable (though hot) and there are a whole bunch of things to do.  Patron tequila sponsors the race...enough said.

I sould like some of you already come to Sebring.  Please PM me and we'll get together there.  Never enough friends in this world, are there?

Too Dumb For Opera, too smart for NASCAR
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 08:52:23 pm »

Simon. Stop all this writing and get your van finished... the amount of time spent 'museing' lately you could have finished your car!!

>Martini...LB

Jesus, stop nagging, you are worse than the wife!

It's post Le Mans week. Lots to talk about. The van is over in the paint shop so everything is in hand.

Wife... wife... do not even think about cuddling up to me at the Classic!!

Nice to know everything is in hand  Shocked Shocked

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 10:12:24 pm »

I enter the GT Academy every year - Why not  Huh I love the game and i do lots of track days when i can so why not go for a opportunity like it

pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 10:47:45 pm »

I heard a report that in two years or so there will be no limit on engine size, displacement, cylinders or how it breaths but there will be a limit on the amount of fuel it can use.  Has anybody else heard that?

Heard very similar to that on RLM over the last weekend after the announcement by the ACO about the regs. for 2014 onwards. Not totally unlimited but certainly with an emphasis on efficiency. Some details here:http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1076974_aco-and-fia-reveal-2014-lmp1-regulations. As the article says these are preliminary proposals ands will be subject to modification in due course. I'm wure there is other info out there too. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 09:32:45 am »

There is a brief summary of the 2014 technical regulations over on Dailysportscar. I think it's part of the free content too.

It looks like we are going back to a fuel efficiency formula. All LMP1 cars have to be hybrids, and each type of hybrid has a set fuel allowance. The teams have been involved throughout and a quick calculation tells me that the fuel allowance is generous enough to allow the same levels of performance we enjoy at the moment. It won't turn into an economy drive, and speeds will be on a par with what we have now.

Other changes are drivers seating positions- higher and further forward, a 30kg drop in minimum weight and diesels in LMP2.

No word on 'grandfathering' the current cars yet, which is a worry with several teams investing in brand new cars this year which don't fit next years regs. Bad especially for the Lola runners who look like they won't get factory upgrades to fit the new regs.

As in any form of Motorsport, technical rule stability is crucial to the health of the series. The current cars are very different from the cars of two years ago, now they have to change again. Not a good thing in these troubled times.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 10:31:29 am »

Also heard something that open prototypes would be banned from LMP1, only coupe's, which would be a shame imo.

Mike

We are The Flying Baguettes!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »

I think we all knew that it would be Audi domination this year as soon as Peugeot pulled out. And in truth we have been spoiled by some fantastic races over the past few years, lets be honest as 13 second gap between 1st and 2nd last year was awesome.

You also have to respect the technology and engineering in all the cars, and so what if they can be quickly repaired on the circuit / in the pits. I would rather have more cars running and racing than loads of closed garage shutters. Ultimately racing is both a marketing ploy and an engineering development test bed which will filter through to the cars that we all drive.

It would be great to see more manufacturers enter the event, Mazda are supplying diesel engines to LMP2 next year, is this a toe in the water to a full factory team? Honda are already heavily involved with HPD and may have a full factory team in the near future.

With the whole point about Le mans being endurance, economy and efficiency, and with every manufacturer going 'green' then hopefully they will see the benefit and join the party.

As for the Deltawing, loved it. Didn't think it would work but seeing it lap at a decent pace was great and it was a real shame when they had to retire through no fault of their own. The only real problem with it is there are no direct comparables to benchmark against. Why not have more than 1 'Garage 56' so designers and engineers can let their creativity flourish with no constraints from the regulations and we can compare small engine light weight and great aeros v hydrogen power etc etc.     

Finally, Le Mans is not just about the racing, it is about the people, meeting old friends who you may only see once a year at Le mans and making new ones. 

Bonnet de douche! 
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 02:17:38 pm »

As mentioned on RLM during the closing stages of the race on Sunday this year was a good race in many respects - GT especially - but not a classic such as it was last year.

So next year we should have 3 better developed Toyotas and in 2014 we have the new regs and Porsche & Nissan in LMP1.

What with the new regs & the news teams we ought to have a battle royale in 2014 and maybe 2013 might be just plain ordinary too, but I suspect that Toyota will be stiff competition.

I really hope that Lola are sorted & that we don't lose Rebellion.  That said the HPD proved to be a decent enough runner, so maybe Rebellion could/should consider that option?

In summary I think it's just a bit of post-race blues setting in.  I have already set my countdown running for next year - 360 and counting...

Crouch..........bind..........set
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 02:24:42 pm »

Also heard something that open prototypes would be banned from LMP1, only coupe's, which would be a shame imo.

Heres the press release  http://www.lemans.org/wpphpFichiers/1/1/ressources/Pdf/2012/24-heures-du-mans/conference_de_presse/technical_regulation_2014.pdf
Brad Zarse
Demi Moore's toy boy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Drinking can be hazardous to your health.....

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 04:50:32 pm »

Sportscars should have roofs , and that is the END of that conversation Kristoff! Wink

To others - this is GOOD news - it's effectively heading back to Group C regs - everyone knows those were the glory days!

Some other details mis-reported on here: 

* MANUFACTURER backed teams HAVE to be Hybrids in P1 (Privateers can run without)
* Cars can be taller - and there's some fairly wide windscreen requirements as well - which should help the cars look prettier.
* Fuel regs, are an amount PER LAP - so effectively, you will start with an amount of fuel, and be re-plenished by a set amount per lap completed.  Run it too hard, or not be efficient enough and you'll run out of fuel, or lose the tactical advantage in terms of time in the pits.

Check out my band!  www.blackmarketband.co.uk
On Facebook:  www.facebook.com/bandblackmarket

See you at a gig soon?
Bentley boy
CA Veteran

A quoi bon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 05:10:08 pm »

You want ugly cars?  Try watching one of the Rolex Sports Car Series races and see the Daytona Prototype cars!

They are un-dadgum-believably ugly.  Not only are the hard to look at, the "powers that be" SLOWED THEM DOWN! 

It isn't Audi's problem that nobody shows up to beat them.

Love it or loathe it the Deltawing is refreshing in the fact it so different. think back to 6 wheelers & fan cars etc we don't see the like that often these day's so it's good to see Le Mans cars not being all the same style & shape like the F1 clones of the last decade  Sad

When will Mclaren F1's & Porsche GT1's be allowed at the classic?? I'll be there
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 05:37:42 pm »

I have to admit i did enjoy seeing the giant knob on track shame the toyota shunted it off

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: