Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 06:37:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some people have more money than sense  (Read 7817 times)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:50:51 am »

Yes, I know that as motor racing movies go Le Mans was better than most - and that doesn't say much - but ffs it's just a watch!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182161/Steve-McQueens-iconic-Tag-Heuer-watch-motor-racing-movie-Le-Mans-sells-800-000-auction.html

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:33:42 am »

Makes this one look cheap!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FRANCK-MULLER-CALENDAR-CHRONOGRAPH-LEATHER/dp/B008H1UXXS/ref=sr_1_12?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1343896332&sr=1-12

Yes, I know that as motor racing movies go Le Mans was better than most - and that doesn't say much - but ffs it's just a watch!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182161/Steve-McQueens-iconic-Tag-Heuer-watch-motor-racing-movie-Le-Mans-sells-800-000-auction.html
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:00:51 am »

Typical Daily Fail. 'the famous race that runs around the streets of Le Mans in Monaco'

I'm sure it was 1970 as well, not 71.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:24:56 am »

Typical Daily Fail.
I promise you, I never read the thing - picked up from another forum.  I would hate anybody to think such an apalling  thing of me. Smiley

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:27:35 am »

The film 'Le Mans' was made in 1970, but premièred in 1971. I can see how the average DM hack might be confused by a watch named 'Monaco' being worn in a film about Le Mans. At least they ran the story, even if they failed to do the research.

Typical Daily Fail. 'the famous race that runs around the streets of Le Mans in Monaco'

I'm sure it was 1970 as well, not 71.
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 01:31:05 pm »

There are some classic DM readers views at the bottom of the DM page Grin and a couple of petrolhead comments as well

Any Steve McQueen items which come up for auction go for mega bucks. There have been a number of sales over the last few years and some small innocuous items go for silly money.
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »

There are some classic DM readers views at the bottom of the DM page Grin and a couple of petrolhead comments as well

Grin  I couldn't resist either.

Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 03:57:23 pm »

This Chap obviously did not for fill his potential at geography:

Get it together DM. Monaco is a city in the south of France. It has an annual Grand Prix .... through the streets. Le Mans is a race circuit, near Paris, which has an annual 24 hour race. Steve made '24 hours of Le Mans'. Monaco and Le Mans are NOT the same thing.
- titest25, new York, 1/8/2012 20:27

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182161/Steve-McQueens-iconic-Tag-Heuer-watch-motor-racing-movie-Le-Mans-sells-800-000-auction.html#ixzz22OflR1ws

Grin
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 06:15:47 pm »

Actually... Monaco is a principality. Monte Carlo is the city.

Pedant mode off.

Get it together DM. Monaco is a city in the south of France. It has an annual Grand Prix .... through the streets. Le Mans is a race circuit, near Paris, which has an annual 24 hour race. Steve made '24 hours of Le Mans'. Monaco and Le Mans are NOT the same thing.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2182161/Steve-McQueens-iconic-Tag-Heuer-watch-motor-racing-movie-Le-Mans-sells-800-000-auction.html#ixzz22OflR1ws

Grin
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 06:21:09 pm »

Pedant mode off.

Grin
I believe that was Jules's point, n'est-ce pas?  Jeez, you can tell that the average DM journalist/reader concentrated really hard during geography lessons.

Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 06:26:29 pm »

Errm, yes probably, although mixing up Monaco/Monte Carlo state/city is slightly less heinous than thinking that Le Mans is in Monaco!

Pedant mode off.

Grin
I believe that was Jules's point, n'est-ce pas?  Jeez, you can tell that the average DM journalist/reader concentrated really hard during geography lessons.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 07:28:37 pm »

Wow! Have seen some vintage Heuer's go for some crazy money, but that wins first prize.  The line about McQueen wearing a Heuer made it a favorite among racing drivers is off the mark.  They were already popular with racer's, Fangio often wore one.  McQueen liked the Heuer Autavia that Jo Siffert wore, that's how he ended up wearing the Monaco.  Siffert Autavia's are among the most desired by vintage Heuer collectors.
I wear a '07 Tag Heuer F1 (the McLaren orange face), pretty much at the bottom end of their price range, but its a terrific timepiece, and on a tractor trailer driver's (I think you guys call them articulated lorry's) income, the nicest I could afford.
Fax
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:31:51 pm by Fax MKII » Logged
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 07:40:30 pm »

Pedant mode off.

Grin

Thanks Deb, it was Wink
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 07:44:07 pm »

Wow! Have seen some vintage Heuer's go for some crazy money, but that wins first prize.  The line about McQueen wearing a Heuer made it a favorite among racing drivers is off the mark.  They were already popular with racer's, Fangio often wore one.  McQueen like the Heuer Autavia that Joe Siffert wore, that's how he ended up wearing the Monaco.  Siffert Autavia's are among the most desired by vintage Heuer collectors.
I wear a '07 Tag Heuer F1 (the McLaren orange face), pretty much at the bottom end of their price range, but its a terrific timepiece, and on a tractor trailer driver's (I think you guys call them articulated lorry's) income, the nicest I could afford.
Fax

Fax,  the misses an I have His and Her Tag F1 in blue with the metal clasps, watches still going strong after 20 years. 
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 08:35:33 pm »

Hi Jules,
Been thinking about getting the Mrs a F1 for Christmas, but the women's version has gotten pricey!  Will have to put in some overtime.
She's got a couple of nice racing watches, a Tissot, and one of the Flying Lizard edition Bulova's.
Fax
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: