Club Arnage
April 24, 2024, 11:56:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALMS - Grand Am 'merger'  (Read 31688 times)
johnevans3
CA Veteran

Howdy Pardner

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2013, 08:42:33 pm »

I really hate that they killed the P1 class here in the US.  I enjoyed that level of racing as much or more in some cases that the other classes.  What a shame.  Hope to see some Europe races on the internet with P1 participation.  NASCAR certainly raised the level of racing awareness in the US.  It's just a high speed demolition derby and very boring unless there is a wreck.  I hope "real" racing that we all love doesn't go that way.  Bring back the days when real Fords, Chevy's, Dodges's, Mercury's, Plymouth's ruled.  Those were the days!!!
Kristof
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2013, 01:04:51 pm »

What the press release does not say is that Grand Ma intends to performance limit LM P2 more than they 'speed-up' the DP class. The other thing they don't say is that LM P2 regs will be unchanged in ACO sanctioned races and therefore it is unlikely that we will see DP's racing at Le Mans.

Please, spare us from DP's at Le Mans !

If they'll limit the performance of the LMP2's, what's the sense then about racing one ?   You'll enter a car with neat performance, and will be forced to bring it down to the level of something that's barely quicker than a GT-car.   Guess what we all feared will become reality, the only thing left from ALMS will be the GT-cars, up untill 2016 when they'll change te rules again and they'll be banned too;

Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2013, 08:32:15 pm »

This is going to be what I feared, a mish-mash of heavily regulated cars from both series.  I absolutely despise the idea of cars having to be slowed down or sped-up to keep things entertaining.
Just make it formula libre and whoever builds the fatest mousetrap wins.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2013, 08:47:59 pm »

Honestly... I doubt we will ever see a DP at Le Mans. If there WAS a DP entry, it would only serve to highlight just how sloooow they are compared to European 'proper' prototypes, and who in their right mind would want to fund that?

Please, spare us from DP's at Le Mans !
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sűrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2013, 03:08:46 pm »

What the press release does not say is that Grand Ma intends to performance limit LM P2 more than they 'speed-up' the DP class. The other thing they don't say is that LM P2 regs will be unchanged in ACO sanctioned races and therefore it is unlikely that we will see DP's racing at Le Mans.

Humm ... perhaps Grand Ma has other ideas about getting the DPs to the Sarthe ..... http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-daytona-protoypes-to-le-mans/

Let's hope not .........
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2013, 03:58:13 pm »

I'm sure the France family would absolutely love to see DP's at Le Mans, the trouble is that the only way it would happen from a money standpoint is if a DP could be in with a chance of overall victory. As the low-tech steel tube DP's are barely faster than the hobbled GT field, the chances are pretty remote. I'm not losing any sleep over it, even if the impossible happens and they do show-up in La Sarthe, I can't see it happening more than once, and I certainly don't expect to see hordes of the ugly buggers on European sports car grids.

Humm ... perhaps Grand Ma has other ideas about getting the DPs to the Sarthe ..... http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/grand-am-daytona-protoypes-to-le-mans/

Let's hope not .........
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2013, 02:07:20 am »

You guys did notice that this is proposed as a small exhibition class?  I don't think anyone with half a brain thinks DP's would be remotely competitive against true LMP's.  I'm seeing this as their way of giving fans, who ordinarily would not have a chance to see the DP's, a  opportunity to see them in person, as mentioned, in the article similar to what the ACO has done before.
I get the dislike of DP's from a purist perspective, but playing devils advocate for a second, ultra high tech, and silly fast, doesn't always make for the best racing.  The Audi's are amazing peices of technology, stupidly fast...and boring as hell to watch.
The DP's are simple spaceframe chassis, with big atmo engines plugged in.  But they have high bhp & low grip so they slide around, they're closely matched, so its not a foregone conclusion who's going to win, they're loud & raucous.  Again, they don't appeal to everyone, but ultimately we go to races to be entertained, and these guys can be entertaining, not pretty & sophisticated.
I don't think think for a second anyone inside or outside of Grand-Am has ever pretended that the DP's are the be all & end all to sportscar racing.  I've always seen it as a cost effective, entertaining, domestic, alternative to the more international LMP formula, not a competitor.  I grew up enjoying F1, but I watched Indycars too.  I used to love IMSA GTO & GTU, and also the SCCA Trans-Am.  I sort of look at these two different approaches to protoype racing in much the same way.
As I said, at the end of the day we go to races to be entertained, I find both approaches to sportscar racing entertaining.
That said I'm not at all crazy about the idea of them being combined into one prototype formula, which is the impression I get that, the merged sanctioning body wants to do.  But what I read into this proposed LM exhibition is just that, an exhibition.
B-Grobs
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:12:03 am by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2013, 03:59:53 pm »

New name to be announced today...

You can bet it will be utterly mundane, having being selected by committee.

Edit -> Now announced as "United SportsCar" ... excited yet?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:14:46 pm by Grand_Fromage » Logged
gatordad

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »

You guys did notice that this is proposed as a small exhibition class?  

Ever hear the story of the camel getting his nose under the tent?  Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 03:20:38 pm by gatordad » Logged

Too Dumb For Opera, too smart for NASCAR
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sűrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2013, 09:38:21 am »

Now announced as "United SportsCar" ... excited yet?
Uh wow, that's urm, errr... original?, no, zippy?, no, urm, yeah, I got it, sh!te.  Sorry, it's taken me this long to awaken from the name induced coma .....
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »

I read somewhere that they wouldn't be at le mans because they would fail the crash test. Presume they mean for the lmp class.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2013, 05:56:31 pm »

Yes, a name so forgettable I've forgotten it twice already.

What was it again... ?  Make that three times.

Now announced as "United SportsCar" ... excited yet?
Uh wow, that's urm, errr... original?, no, zippy?, no, urm, yeah, I got it, sh!te.  Sorry, it's taken me this long to awaken from the name induced coma .....
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: