Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 05:44:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rally Wales GB moving home  (Read 4424 times)
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:42:09 am »

Well Good News for us Northerners, the Rally Wales GB is moving home to North Wales this year.

Service Park will be at Toyota's engine plant in Deeside, the event will start from Conwy on Thursday November 14 and finish in Llandudno on Sunday November 17.

So the service park is just 15 minutes from home and the start finish less than an hour away from home in Chester, with some classic forest stages less than an hour away.

I will be taking a day off to go and watch
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 01:23:58 pm »

Quite pathetic isn't it? Service park is at the arse end of some grim industrial estate(San Romolo on a warm autumn evening back in 88 seems so long ago now), the start is in some place that no one outside of Powys has ever heard of and the finish will be in some little town that nobody can pronounce. It's all... A little apologetic isn't it. Almost as though we are now embarrassed to run a round of the world rally championship. It was once Britains biggest sporting event. Should we move the British Grand Prix to Wombwell Kart Track? The Proms to Pegswood Village Hall?

Whatever happened to the two million spectators? The grand city centre starts in beautiful cities such as York and Bath?

Sorry to put a downer on the move, and no offence to those who live in the area, but it's just not good enough.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:41 pm »

Whatever happened to the two million spectators? The grand city centre starts in beautiful cities such as York and Bath?

Sorry to put a downer on the move, and no offence to those who live in the area, but it's just not good enough.

Don't forget they all used to stop for a sunday service halt at beautiful Walsall Town Hall where the Mayor and his fat wife used wave them off on their way to hit a tree in Sutton Park (I'm looking at you Tony Pond!).

And now look at it. The top level of the sport is rubbish in this country, a pathetic reflection on its former glory.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:41:35 pm »

Oi, remember Chester as well Grin

Yes, Deeside industrial estate is the arse end of North Wales, however we are never going to go back to the 70 and 80's type event. As much as we all want that, hell as a youngster, my primary school allowed us to have the morning off to go with parents to Harewood Hill climb to see the special stage there. The 3 pubs and 2 garages in my home village of Collingham used to turn into a service centre for all the teams, Lancia, GM, Audi, Ford all used to have big set up even if it was just a splash and dash. The village shops used to do a roaring trade with the teams, chase car crews and spectators alike. I even remember when the start used to be in Harrogate and all the shops in the town centre used to deck their windows with rally displays just as the shops in Le Mans do to this day.

The move to North Wales brings the rally closer to the population centres of Liverpool, Manchester and North Midlands, that may in turn bring out the spectators whether those are die hard rally fans or just the one time spectator. If enough come out then it may make the organisers think again with venues and formats.

As for me, the service park is 15 mins away and the stages less than an hour so I will go along and watch, if the promise of night stages is true then I will take my son to watch his first WRC event after school.

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 12:44:11 am »

Remember watching the Sutton Park stage every year as a lad - the hairpin by the Scout Jubilee stone, various single-track-through-woodland sections, the watersplash by Wyndley Gate and... and... and....open access everywhere for spectators with no entrance ticket or payment required. 

Full on rallying of cars that bore more than a passing resemblance to what could actually be bought in the showroom (to which could then be added Paddy Hopkirk goodies from the local motor factor, stickers etc etc), all as part of 1500-2000 of miles of special stages and connecting road sections, roaming much of the depth and breadth of UK.

Progress is a marvellous thing.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:34:17 am »

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/rsocbb/showthread.php?t=104685

Nice preview of the 1985 rally focussing on the wonderful 6R4 and the late great Mr Pond...

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/rsocbb/showthread.php?t=104685

Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »

1985 for me was the high water mark for the RAC rally. An absolute epic ball breaker of a schedule and the cars at their most ferocious. You only have to watch the video (it's on You Tube in two parts) to see how great that rally once was.

Luckily for the spectator and competitor we now have the Roger Albert Clark rally. Three days of top quality action all over the north of England and Scotland with proper cars that go very sideways and make lots of noise. It's like Le Mans Classic without brogues and the good weather. Epic battle this year that went down to the final stage. Just waiting for them to open the entry list so we can have a crack again.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:57:37 am »

Oh good shall look forward to this  Grin

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:11:37 pm »

1985 for me was the high water mark for the RAC rally.

1984 through 1986 were the best ever. I worked first as a marshall, then sector marshall, the stage commander's right hand man and got close to all the cars and drivers. We would typically work on the sunday or monday then follow it where ever for the next couple of days, sleeping in the car, eating in the Little Chef, and shitting in woods. The sense of disappointment watching the 1987 rally was unbelievable. Where was the drama, the noise, the frightening power?

I stuck with the RAC until 1991, following it around the country. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the Colin/Timo/Carlos days, living in the south, and having to pay to enter the stages, put me off actually attending.

Certainly if I lived north of Birmingham I'd still be involved in the sport somehow, and almost certainly with the proper R.A.C. Rally.

A vaguely embarrassing photo of me wearing my lucky cap. We later suffered total brake failure and crashed.

* sud1.JPG (235.18 KB, 1216x1024 - viewed 259 times.)

Jules G
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 09:59:58 am »

Andy Z,

You may be interested in this book,

http://www.mickbriant.com

Ah the old road rally days brings back great memories Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: