Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 10:04:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the unique attraction of the 24 Hours of Le Mans?  (Read 12287 times)
Kiters

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:47 am »

Nice one Andrea could not have put it better myself been going now since 1992 and only missed a few in that time.
You will return it is only a matter of time and returning will be all the sweeter after your exile.

Smiley
Andrea

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:48 am »

Nice one Andrea could not have put it better myself been going now since 1992 and only missed a few in that time.
You will return it is only a matter of time and returning will be all the sweeter after your exile.

Smiley

thanks Kiters  Smiley your words in God's ear  Smiley

"I'm sitting at the wheel
I got a green light
Not afraid of nothin' cuz heart and soul
I'm built for life
So let the engine roar
Push the pedal down..."
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:50 am »

It's almost an impossible question. It's something so hard to quantify. It's more than a race. It's more than an event in itself. Yes, there are the physical qualities, the noise, the spectacle, the cars, the friendships, but it runs much much deeper. And it's on so many levels too. How many times in moments of trouble or dissapointment have we thought 'oh well, there's always Le Mans'. It's a beacon that draws us near, gives comfort and as it draws nearer it gives your heart a little skip when you think about it.

I have never been religious or spiritualistic in any way. But now I can empathise with those who do follow a faith or belief. And see how it's with you in whatever you do. I found it hard to understand how someone could believe in some bloke with a beard on a cloud who made everything in a week, but to them no doubt they see our religion as just a motor race.

So what is it that makes it special? I don't know for sure. There is definitely something in the air down there. A life force that crackles the air, an undefinable magic, drug like in its intensity. You feel it more in the early hours in the older parts of the circuit. Is it the history? The sense of occasion, the triumphs, the tragedy, the joy of seeing another fellow man become immortal at 3pm on a Sunday? Could there be a certain leaching out of all the emotion of the millions of pilgrims that have followed the calling year after year? I'm sure we have all been to somewhere where something bad happened- a battle field for example. You feel a certain sadness as if those poor souls left something behind- you feel the sorrow. Le Mans is different, it's the polar opposite. So many people, so much passion, so much joy, over so many years. Surely the very fabric of the place has fed on such magic and absorbed it. Is this what we feel? Is it this force that we cannot see, hear, touch or smell that draws us in?

Maybe if we understand what it is that draws us back, some of that magic would be lost?

Looks like a few short words are impossible. I think the best way we can demonstrate why we go back, is to take someone who has never been and climb up that banking beside Maison Blanche on Wednesday evening during qualifying just as dusk starts to fall, take a look at their face and remember your first time. Only then will you know why.
But do warn them before you leave home. It's going to be a big commitment. After all you never go to Le Mans once.

Si

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Mr Termite

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 02:34:27 pm »

Deb (termietermite) and I first went to LM in 1997, by "luxury coach" which turned out to be crap, and we got virtually no sleep all weekend. But the LM experience was simply something else. By bus to Arnage and Mulsanne in the evening. Turkish coffee in the Old Village in the small hours of Sunday. Watching the dawn come up. We missed '98, but tried again with a different firm - MRI - in 99. This gave us a hotel in Alencon for Friday and Sunday nights, so we were better rested, more rational, more energy. Ditto 2000. Then in 2001 we decided to drive, and Deb booked Hotel Galaxie, where we shared the breakfast room with David Leslie, since lost in tragic circs. 2002 we had a gite for a fortnight, although it was a bit far from the circuit (just in the Mayenne). Mate Paul drove Deb round the circuit in his Morgan on race day, hence her avatar. And this was all pivotal - it was during those two weeks that I said to Deb "We could live here!" And so we did, moving in 2004.

Chez nous is 40 mins leisurely drive from Parking Blanc. We, now I, am able to attend scrutineering and test weekends, the whole shebang. On my own is ok, I discover. With Deb was a lot better!

That, my friends, is what Le Mans can do to you.

Missing Termietermite
gatordad

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »

Well, I guess that about sums it up.  Never met her, I've never met you but I feel like I know you both and would enjoy your company.  If you EVER decide to come to Sebring you have a place to stay.

Too Dumb For Opera, too smart for NASCAR
Jack the Hat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 11:50:06 am »

First year 2003 been every year since ( except this year... I will not be missing another ). It has become part of my life. I love the planning  trip for around 20 people. We are there for scrutineering all the way through. It the trip, the people, the place, the race, the weather, the spirit of Le Mans. All that, and the odd warm French larger.  Smiley

The only way is Sideways
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 02:24:03 pm »

What the hell is going on? The track is clear and almost dry.

Come on!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
John G

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 02:28:04 pm »

Shame, looks like we have been robbed of a grandstand finish for the GTE Pro class
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »

The attraction... I get to sit in my seat, in a field, for a week  Grin

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
wishy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Shed's do track days!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 09:06:11 pm »

For me my first visit was in 1998 as a sort of recce for coming out in 1999 for Pretzels 40th birthday, due to the fact the my brother in law invited me to go along with him.

Well that first visit had me totally hooked and to this day I still cannot work out why I keep coming back. Yes the racing is incredible and over the past 16 years I have met some fantastic people who are all should I say a little crazy because like me, they also keep returning to the "field in France".

It does go beyond the racing. The camaraderie of everyone on this site and beyond is incredible.

I have never really said a big thank you for all your support to when I had my near fatal car accident on the 4th June 3 years ago.

Two weeks after the event,"Neil"  sent the get well card and DFH t-shirt in the post to me, which after reading all the messages had me crying like a baby because it was such a moving moment for me, but not only that he managed in between preparing for LM to come down from Cheshire to Kings College Hospital in London to check on me whilst I was in ICU and then reported back on here(which I still have all the get well messages posted on here in a special folder).

So I still have no idea why I keep going back, but health allowing I will keep on returning as long as I can. Huh

Andy

mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 01:00:36 am »

It's just the best place on earth to be, in every respect, for one week of every year.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 07:20:50 am »

Exactly... I couldn't have put it better!
It's just the best place on earth to be, in every respect, for one week of every year.....

MG Mark
Peaky

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 06:32:39 pm »

ask the same of Mountaineers  Grin

"I am an artist. The track is my canvas, and the car is my brush..." Graham Hill
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: