Club Arnage
June 16, 2024, 04:57:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autosport names Tom Kristensen as the best driver never to race in Formula 1  (Read 8778 times)
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:15 pm »

I love the "Celebrity" races, as quite a few F1 drivers make fools of themselves, and then someone like TK proves how good they are. Grin

My final candidate is Roger "I'm not strapping a 200mph fuel tank to my @rse" Clark.  Another one to die (a bit) young, like Hunt, Burns and MacRae

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 08:47:31 pm »

tom has never won the race of champeens though he keeps trying.
for the best woman driver check out christabel carlisle.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:54:56 am by lofty » Logged

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 12:17:12 pm »

These lists are always useless. It's easier to dominate a sport nowadays when a technical and financial aspect has more to do with success than raw ability. The WRC and Seb Loeb are prime examples. Yes, he is a fantastic driver, but where has his opposition been over the last decade? Nevertheless he will probably be ranked as the greatest rally driver of all time because of his sheer number of wins. I'd love to have dropped him into the entry of the 1985 and 1986 RAC Rallies, San Remo 1986, 1984 Monte, 85 1000 lakes to see how he would have got on against Toivonen, Alen, Salonen, Kankkunen, Mikkola, Rohl, Waldegard, Eriksson, Saby, Blomqvist, Biasion et al....

It's always interesting when rally drivers and race drivers swap seats. Both Loeb and McRae did quite well at LM, both getting onto the podium. It's not always as easy to make the switch. I remember Derek Bell, a driver who I have a huge amount of respect for, making a right cock of the 87 RAC. An event he said was the hardest thing he had ever done in or out of a car. Martin Brundell also struggled a few years later eventually heavily restyling a Cosworth whilst in the lower end of the top 60. Of course there is one or two notable exceptions, Vic Elford being one (and to my mind at least, one of THE greatest drivers of all time alongside Pedro Rodriguez), and Jim Clark who's attempt of the RAC (when it was still a proper rally) is the stuff of legend.

And whilst on the subject of rallying, if you want to find the greatest women driver, look no further than Pat Moss Carlsson.

I'm afraid the Tarmac set have quite a bit of work to do until they better the boys and girls in the woods.

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 12:05:54 am »

Pat Moss Carlsson was terrific, but Michele Mouton is no slouch either.  Both terrific racers.
On the subject of lady racers, met Simona De Silvestro in the paddock at Mid-Ohio yesterday before the Indycar race.  Really delightful person, very friendly and polite.  Very much the polar opposite of the over-rated, nasty little media whore who races in NASCAR.
Fax
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:34:56 am by Boorish Grobian » Logged
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 09:00:58 am »

How about Desiré Wilson? The only female driver to have won an F1 race (although not a GP, a domestic F1 race in 1980).

Pat Moss Carlsson was terrific, but Michele Mouton is no slouch either.  Both terrific racers.
On the subject of lady racers, met Simona De Silvestro in the paddock at Mid-Ohio yesterday before the Indycar race.  Really delightful person, very friendly and polite.  Very much the polar opposite of the over-rated, nasty little media whore who races in NASCAR.
Fax
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 07:48:15 pm »

yes it has to be a rally driver with paris dakar wins to his name,or dtm guys.or TK.give him a go in an f1 car or a moon buggy just to prove the point.would Donald cambell count?racing against the clock.

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 12:52:35 pm »

TK? Seems like a good call to me.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print