Club Arnage
March 19, 2024, 12:41:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dauer Porsches  (Read 3134 times)
Bonio

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:41:07 pm »

Just been reading something on Faceache about the 94 Lemans. Anyhow someone claimed that the winning car the Dauer Porsche was ran by Joest. When i flicked through the programme for that year there was no mention of the Joest team being there and the team was just listed as "Le Mans Porsche Team". However after a little research on T'interweb "Wiki" there is a claim that it was indeed ran by Joest on behalf of Porsche.

Is there anyone who may be able to clear up the confusion ?

Team J.E.D.I
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 10:05:54 pm »

I have a few recollections of this.

The car had no sponsors, other than suppliers like Shell & FAT, so Porsche were paying.

The transporters were the previous years works 911 transporters, with a quick all white respray, and in the right light you could see the works Porsche signwriting underneath

Dauer (has anyone heard of him since) had produced a roadgoing 962 from his old race car, but the cars that turned up at Le Mans for the test day were brand new and all carbon.  Porsche had realised that this GT1 car had a better chance of winning than a restricted LMP962.  However, they kept a low profile in case they were thought to be cheating

Porsche didn't have a factory team at the time.  I hadn't heard of Joests involvement but it makes sense, as he could put something together from the vast number of unemployed British Group C mechanics, many of whom had gone to Germany to work on the DTM

Unpainted carbon - bit of a hurry perhaps

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Bonio

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »

Just had a look at Joest's website and they say that they solely concentrated on the DTM that year... Getting more confused or Wiki must be wrong.
I was there in 94 too but to beered up to really remember much  Huh

Edited to add, I have re read the Joest page and they do indeed claim involvement.. Think i have had to many beerios now.... All cleared up  Grin
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 10:25:52 pm by Bonio » Logged

Team J.E.D.I
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

Quote from their website for the 1994 year - "Joest Racing is also involved in the Le Mans victory of the Dauer-Porsche."  1st and 3rd overall.

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »

I wrote a story about this car for the 2010 Club Arnage guide, see the attached pdf. I did a lot of research about the car and the team but never came across a large Joest effort. They may have been involved somehow but I don't think they played a major role in this. This was a joint effort of the Porsche factory team and the Jochen Dauer Racing team.

* 070-073-dauer-962-lm-story.pdf (597.21 KB - downloaded 315 times.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:26:44 pm by Werner » Logged

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 05:51:30 pm »

Dauer (has anyone heard of him since)

In July 2010 he was sentenced to 3.5 years in jail for tax evasion - so he should be out soon.

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
Bonio

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »

Excellent piece Werner, like i said i was there with Lofty bloke and seem to remember Radio Le Mans that year having a massive debate about it. Other than that it was all a beer blur. I do recall it being very warm though......

Sure i do have some video footage i took as well. Must have a root around in the loft. 

Team J.E.D.I
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: