Club Arnage
April 19, 2024, 05:05:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top Gear  (Read 7059 times)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2015, 08:29:20 am »

Some of the visitors to this site will know that the UK is suffering a national crisis.

Jeremy Clarkson, lead presenter of Top Gear has been suspended.

Dare I say that Jezza lives many of the values that we hold in high regard including fun, frivolity, mild arrogance, and non PCism (a new English word).

I do not want to see his reign end. There is too much fun on his and the lads Sunday night show.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 04:38:19 pm »

One major strike against him - amongst many other things, he hates Le Mans!!

Personally, I think he is an arrogant sh1t, albeit the show is entertaining. 

I vote either Guy Martin or (for better eye candy) Jodie Kidd to take over.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 05:45:01 pm »

Have to agree with Del.
While we all try and stay a little young with a few silly ideas their show is pretty much full of it. Stopped watching a while ago as it actually (I think) got quite boring. How and why do you test a car by seeing how much smoke you can get from the tyres while hanging the arxe out. We moan about cowboy racers on the streets, perhaps this is where they get it from.

The guy is a kn0b

>Martini...LB

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:52:10 pm »

Tend to agree. He's become ridiculous and Top Gear has simply run out of ideas.

Rescue Jodie Kidd from that ludicrous Classic Car show with Quentin Wilson and bring back the lovely Katie Humble from the countryside. Who remembers Katie when she was a Top Gear presenter?
James May can stay.

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 09:30:09 pm »

One major strike against him - amongst many other things, he hates Le Mans!!....
I saw him at Le Mans about midnight donkeys years ago, looking bored.

I recall he got upset because his hotel was a few miles away and wasn't 5 star.  If only he had a decent caravan  Grin

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 10:15:17 pm »

Guy Martin has been mentioned elsewhere as a replacement. While I really like his programmes, I think the hamster and the hippy would run rings round him and he would end up the butt of all the jokes. Which I wouldn't like to see.
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 12:35:04 am »

Steve,

I'm not sure about Katie Humble she wasn't very good on Top Gear. I don't think she likes cars.

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 03:25:32 pm »

Guy Martin is good at what he does, I don't think his persona would work in a Top Gear style show, plus if he did that then I guess he would not be able to do his other shows.

Jodie Kidd! really her and Wilson are the modern day equivalent of Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood. A good program ruined by a pair of bores.

I think if Clarkson does go, unless the other 2 want to carry on without him which is possible, maybe bring on a third guest presenter each week, the show is dead in the water on the BBC. Which means from a BBC point of view loss of revenue not just from the TV show but also the live shows and Magazine and merchandise.

Hope they can find a way to keep the show going, but its going to be hard as even Clarkson must understand its not a good idea to get physical with someone you work with! this will dog him for while, some car makers may even be reluctant to be associated with him.

In its current form Top Gear is a fun way to spend an hour, has little real motoring content but is none the worse for that once you understand its just designed as light entertainment.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
lofty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

joint european drinking initiative

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 05:42:44 pm »

I don't think our Guy would lower himself. Why would he be on a sh*t progamme with presenters who have no mechanical knowledge or common sense. top gear is the opposite of what Guy is about. People who say clarkson is a great driver no nothing, i ask them what race series he competes in. Journalists should write not drive. Bring back Tiff. Rantt over (sorry still hungover)!

J.E.D.I.
i dont want to be in a club
i want to be in a gang
or perhaps a drinking order
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »

I'm going to sound like a boob (certainly not the first time), but are you guys refering to Guy Martin the bike racer?  The only time I see him is on the bike racing coverage (IOM TT, NW 200, etc), he would be terrific, but how the hell do you understand what he's saying?  I can pick up bits & peices, but man he's got a thick accent.  Seems like a terrific guy though.
Fax
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 10:32:42 pm »

What do you mean "thick accent"?  Granted he talks quite fast, but there is nowt wrong with his accent.  

I don't think TG would suit GM at all - people are confusing a fast racing lover of eningeering with middle aged geezers that thrash other people's cars.  

GM is utterly incompatible with the format.  i am not a TG hater by the way, though I do think it has run its course.

F
Grand_Fromage
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Real men do it for 24 hours

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2015, 12:38:58 am »

I watch TG now and then, just to remind myself how bad it has become.

Same boring old show as 10 years ago with tiresome 'challenges' added in a desperate attempt to make it interesting.

If TG evaporated from the BBC completely, I wouldn't miss it for an instant.
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 01:06:25 am »

Agreed, we get TG over here, and it does seem to have become stale.  It's as we like to say, "its jumped the shark", they've run out of really clever ideas, so they resort to ever dumber pranks.
I get'cha Fran, I suppose us trying to understand what GM is saying, would be like you guys trying to understand a Louisiana Cajun accent.
On second thought, nevermind, I can't understand that either.
Fax
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 01:48:50 am »

I keep seeing appeals to support a petition for Steve Coogan, as Alan Partridge to present it.
Top Gear is a comedy show now, so this might work. The other 2 continuing to play "the straight man" to Coogan/Partidge, funny man.

Coogan loves his cars, so he would seem to qualify.

Chris Evans? Not "dry" enough, I guess.

I don't know.........It's pointless, irrelevant and puerile. It still makes me laugh sometimes though. Yes, they do seem to have run out of ideas too. However, the Transfargarasan Highway episode was great. If they could make more like that.........I actually learnt something there.

It would be a shame to see it go, but it's probably reached the end of its life.

Anyway, John, how the devil are you?

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Radar
CA Veteran

What is this llama sh*t anyway?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 10:18:40 am »

If he punched a producer he should be fired - simple as that. Unless you want to say that being rich and successful makes workplace bullying acceptable...

TG makes a huge amount of money for the Beeb, so they can't can it - but it's about time it had a revamp anyway. It used to be fantastic, but let's face it, the format has become pretty tired now.

I say get rid of Clarkson and the increasingly irritating Hamster, bring in Jodie Kidd and Chris Evans or Steve Coogan.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: