Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 02:39:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LMP1 Hybrids and Mega Joules Category Question  (Read 2754 times)
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2015, 11:22:51 pm »

Hi

Sorry, this is long question, but can someone help me understand?

I was trying to explain the LMP-H energy recovery categories or the four "hybrid powertrain options" as they are called by the WEC and got a bit confused.

(for a start the use of the word drivetrain is confusing as "drivetrain" for me is the engine type and layout - e.g. V8 driving the rear wheels and it appears that the engine drivetrain choice at LM and in WEC this is completely free provided it is a conventional engine and less than 5.5l in size).

I reviewed the Guide and the Blog on this topic

http://clubarnage-2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/hybrids-and-mega-joules-explained.html

I understand that there are also four LMP-H hybrid powertrain options.  These are defined by how much hybrid energy is released per lap, using the Le Mans circuit as the baseline.  The options are 2, 4, 6 or 8 MegaJoules per lap. (They will release less at other circuits because they are smaller!).  As they go up, they get to use less fuel. So if they get more hybrid energy the regulations take the advantage away.

So....

<2 max Petrol 94.3 Kg/h, Diesel  8.01 Kg/h
<4 max Petrol 91.9 Kg/h, Diesel  79.0 Kg/h
<6 max Petrol 89.5 Kg/h, Diesel  77.0 Kg/h
<8 max Petrol 88.5 Kg/h, Diesel  75.1 Kg/h

So if a car sits in a higher category, they have less fuel energy per lap.  The higher energy recovery and release doesn't necessarily make the car more powerful or any faster, but is will allow them to refuel less and stay out on track longer than the cars that cannot recover and use less energy.

So, is the advantage of manufacturers working hard to recover and use more hybrid more energy and get into a higher hybrid powertrain level simply that the cars don't have to refuel as often and and stay out on track or is there more to it. 

So is that it or do they get to have more power or have I missed something else?

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 11:47:35 pm »

Yes

Grin

Steve East Anglian cobras

clkgtrlm1
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Le Mans - Follow the Carbon Footprints!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:27:31 am »

I think I need a drink and to think about this one.

I should be able to explain it later
 Grin Grin Grin

Baldrick, my Lord! But I can change it to Ploppy if it'll make things easier.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 01:18:57 am »

Hi Aricus,
             case of beer and a few bottles of wine and I could tell you things about Endurance racing.
However none about Hybrid systems  Roll Eyes Grin Grin
It involves Electrickery and magic  Grin

Phil
cja

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:16:40 am »

Looks like the formula they use to work out my Leccy bill......and I can't understand that, either!!

Although the more I drink, the more sense it makes........

Grin

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 12:13:45 pm »

Hi Aricus,
             case of beer and a few bottles of wine and I could tell you things about Endurance racing.
However none about Hybrid systems  Roll Eyes Grin Grin
It involves Electrickery and magic  Grin

Phil

Phil,

I think that is a very good idea. My assistant (Tristan) can take care of the "beer management" = carrying/fetching/opening/getting back etc. He has read some Terry Pratchett so should know about the Color of Le Mans Magic!

Aricus

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: