Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 12:43:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice needed on running a web forum please  (Read 5569 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:09:59 am »

There is a plethora of skills amongst the CA community, such that it's always a good place to start with advice on most topics on which one's knowledge is, at best, limited.....

It seems that the other people where I Iive want me to take over the chairmanship of our Resident's Association later this year......The Association is run by a small committee of volunteers and there is a lot of scope to improve communication about pretty much everything. Unsurpringly, the thought of using a forum as one means of doing so sprang to mind.

Hence the request in the title thread as, although a user, I've never set one up or run one - so, any advice or thoughts gratefully received, particularly on how easy or difficult or time consuming setting up/running/moderating one is, security of access to it (e.g we would not wish the landlord or management company being able to access it - or at least not all of it), or anything else that seems relevant, such as what/where/with who is the best place to host one.

Key factoids are there are 81 properties involved, so with let's say an average of 3 people with an interest per property, potential membership is around 250; all do email, so should be able to cope with a forum. Aim is to provide a reliable facility to centrally share information about the committee, the running of the site and services, social stuff, events, local business recommendations, general chit chat etc etc, with the facility to PM. I'd prefer no advertising, and hosting that is free or at least comes at a moderate fee.

Thoughts please with thanks,

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
dukla
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:18:55 am »

Pretty easy to do, certainly easy to set security so that anyone who wants to even read the forums has to be pre-approved by a moderator.

Harder is cost, I got phpBB forums bundled with my ISP a few years ago but don't know if such luck still exists.  Certainly freeparking.co.UK do a package for £4/month that advertises 1 click phpBB. Webhosting.UK.com have cheaper packages but on a quick glance I didn't see phpBB mentioned. Only mention these 2 as I currently take services from them both, there are many others!

Main tip, do make sure all your passwords on the server are very strong, 12+ random characters. Lowlife on the www make a habit of trying to hack servers and shared servers mean you are a bit more exposed.
geoffd
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Work, The curse of the Drinking Classes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 09:00:55 am »

One word of advice (well three actually) don't do it!  It'll be nothing but aggravation!  It might seem like a good idea at the time, but I'm sure you'll live to regret it in due course.

Of course I buy green cars, my Aston is green, my MGB is green, my Disco Sport is green,  oh, that's not what you meant by green?
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:15:55 am »

Can't say much about anything other than moderating and some of the user admin... though I've seen the software CA uses (SMF - http://www.simplemachines.org/) in use in quite a number of other forums (forii?).

Like us, you would have a fairly static membership so I'd say the user admin in SMF would be pretty straightforward, so long as you get the security right. We did have a period when we needed to spend a bit of time blocking accounts, IP address ranges and/or hosts which had been set up by spammers, but that was ages ago and I can't remember the last time I had to do that. I think that was down to an improvement in the SMF software and us improving our security.

As far as moderating goes, we have a really good user population who understand and keep within the tone and spirit of the site, so there is very little to do (much appreciated guys 'n' gals!! :-) ). With new users you may find yourself assisting with posting pics or other operations.  I do at least skim read pretty much every post, especially in General Discussion which is the most active, but that doesn't take too long as you can easily pick them up from the New markers. Managing posts ( editing, moving, deleting, hiding) is easy enough if necessary.

I'm sure you've considered a Facebook group as has been recently set up for CA - but as someone has said, while that's good for the casual conversation it is less good for retaining and referencing older conversations - but you don't have the hassle of maintenance, and the cost and effort of finding somewhere to host it etc ) - for my [personal domains I use 1and1 who can host SMF http://blog.1and1.co.uk/2014/10/27/add-a-powerful-online-forum-to-your-site-for-free/ but I do not use them for hosting sp can't say whether or not they are any good)
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 01:03:26 pm »

Smokie, it's Fora

I moderated on the DSC board many moons ago, and it ran itself. The only thing I really had to do was remove a spam post and ban the user. If you set the rules and tone early on, i believe things like that can work. How many users are you expecting? 1 per property, or if you live there, you can be a user? Will the RA board all want to be moderators? These are things to sort out early, rather than on the hoof.

Wooosh!!!!
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 02:52:59 pm »

Avoid vBulletin software like the preverbial

Crouch..........bind..........set
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 04:42:09 pm »

Thanks chaps, keep the thoughts coming please....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:38:10 pm »

SMF (like we have here) is pretty straightforward to use from an admin point of view.  Plus there's a few of us who can steer you around the admin interface if you need help.

VBulletin is dreadful.

Steve East Anglian cobras

BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 11:31:52 am »

Mark,
This has "swinging" written all over it, and no matter how you feel about Glen Miller and his band, I'd be very careful.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
landman
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 11:46:57 am »

Mark,
This has "swinging" written all over it, and no matter how you feel about Glen Miller and his band, I'd be very careful.
H

Grin  Shocked Wink

Crouch..........bind..........set
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 01:51:17 pm »

Mark,
H
Grin  Shocked Wink

H, might have known that you would see through the subterfuge instantly........ Grin Wink

MG Mark

Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 02:51:54 pm »

Grin Grin Grin

Thanks for bring this down to my level

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 03:54:15 pm »

I have had some dealings with a Residents Association. 

I found Apathy RULES!  I doubt if you will get a 25% take-up but I'd be happy to find I'm wrong.  The RA I have experience with has a Target of 220 Dwellings and it's never had more than 15 Residents attend any meeting.  It started out with a Committee of ten but these days only has seven members no one is interested taking part.

Personally, I think you need to think outside the Forum environment.   Lets say to are going to have a meeting about some important issue that effect all residents.  If you post a Notice and Agenda for the meeting on the forum the residents will only see it if they visit the forum before the meeting.   

If it were me I would have a Website/Forum and Mailing lists and I would create a Facebook page/group.

But all this "IT" stuff can get out of hand.  Recently in my area there was a disagreement between a couple of organisations that resulted in Facebook Campaign that got a bit out of hand.   So one needs to be careful about what is set up and how it's managed.

Personally,  I think you would find mailing lists (email) the most effect method of communication. 

The problem with Forum and Facebook pages/groups is people have to subscribe.  At least with email once you have their email address you can send out quickly and cheaply and they don't have to do anything other than read the email.

I've sent you a PM too.

T

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: