Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 12:22:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spitfire Experience experience?  (Read 9309 times)
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2016, 06:58:32 pm »

Well, it was a significant birthday a few days ago, and the family have clubbed together and want to buy me a flight in a Spitfire. For those that don't know, it's a modified Spit (there's only one I think), with an extra cockpit and canopy behind the original. Presents don't get much better than this, but when I saw the price, I went a bit pale, a sort of duck egg blue really.
https://www.intotheblue.co.uk/flying-experiences/ww2-planes/spitfire-flights/two-seater-spitfire-flights/
I don't want to appear ungrateful, or adopt any other hues of skin based camouflage, and a trip in a Spit would top a bucket list any day, but I'm thinking for a bit of aerial fun and nostalgia, a flight in a Tiger Moth might be a better alternative, -there's plenty around and it's a hell of a lot cheaper.
Now I know vintage aviation is close to a lot of peoples hearts on this forum, - has anyone ticked the Spit or Tiger Moth box?

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »

I've done neither but a back seat ride behind a Merlin is a no brainer. Do it, you know you want to!

I tested negative for patience.
Jason
CA Veteran

Has anyone booked my hospital room?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:20 pm »

There are at least 4 2 seater Spitfires that I can think of, Duxford, Biggin and 2 at Goowood. Do the honourable thing, go for the Spit, you know you want to!

Wooosh!!!!
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:43 pm »

Decision made!

I tested negative for patience.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:56:25 pm »

BigH if it worries you on a 'right thing to do' basis I'll do it for you, no don't thank me

I mean to say, I've had all sorts of 'significant birthdays'

Lots of 'em so if you like...

Wink

Spitfire ride, Merlin engine, adrenaline

Evil

Go on, do it

Go on go on go on

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 03:49:39 am »

As it happens I'm looking at going up in a Tiger Moth in the next few weeks.  

I shall report back once the deed is done.

Dx

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:19:22 am by Doris » Logged

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
Newcastle Dave

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 08:31:05 am »

Si, I have had a Tiger Moth flight in New Zealand and it was fantastic. It turns from Austin 7 on the ground to Mini Cooper in the air with looping the loop, stall turns and tight turns and for about £50 for a flight was a no brainer to experience. ( Croydon Aircraft Company at Mandeville).

However for me the opportunity to fly in that Spitfire would be so way way beyond fantastic that I think it does not compare.

You must be a hell of a bloke that your loved ones will club together to buy you such a gift. It wouldn't suprise me that if you didn't take up this super present it will be amongst your  biggest regrets when you look back.

And we would all get to share your account of it after.
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »

....You must be a hell of a bloke that your loved ones will club together to buy you such a gift....
What have you got on them  Grin

Sometimes in life you just have to do these things.  What else could you have instead.  Just buy/borrow a GoPro so you can bore all your friends and relatives with the video for years, and you'll never forget. 

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 10:31:37 pm »

Aahh - De Havilland Tiger Moths - string, wire, canvas etc - used to fly them when many of them were used as tugs for gliders, before they got worth preserving and therefore valuable. They are fantastic fun and of course very wind in the hair - you are back in the gentle Empire days of biplanes, tea parties and you are Biggles. Do it. Look on it as necessary to experience and understand the elementary aircraft that pilots trained on before moving on to the likes of the Spitfire.

A trip in Mitchell's finest? Awesome prospect. Do it. No question. You are in the evironment of the greats. Kent. BofB. Simply the ultimate piston-engined iconic aircraft. Havent done it yet, but I will be. JFDI.

So, in short do both if you can (no bulls*t) as one leads naturally and elegantly to the other......do not feel guilty.....

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 10:41:57 pm »

As it happens I'm looking at going up in a Tiger Moth in the next few weeks.  

I shall report back once the deed is done.

Dx

Good for you - look forward to hearing how you got on!

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 11:40:44 pm »

Simply the ultimate piston-engined iconic aircraft. MG Mark

Not to be overly patriotic and apologetically off topic, but, I would put our B-17 Flying Fortress and the P-51 Mustang up there re: ultimate piston-engined aircraft...heck I'd hafta stick the Zero in there, also.  Wink

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 12:04:53 am »

Simply the ultimate piston-engined iconic aircraft. MG Mark

Not to be overly patriotic and apologetically off topic, but, I would put our B-17 Flying Fortress and the P-51 Mustang up there re: ultimate piston-engined aircraft...heck I'd hafta stick the Zero in there, also.  Wink

Mustang wasn't that brilliant till they put the Merlin in it, lacked high level ability.
The Packard V-1650-7 in the D version was a Merlin built under licence.
I would also like to put the Mosquito on the list as best piston engined plane in WW2 and the Lanc.
Zero's seriously out classed due to lack of development in the latter stages of the war, especially when the Hellcats superseded the Wildcats.
But 'Winkle' Brown rated the Wildcat as the best carrier aircraft of the war.
So we have planes in niches, many planes performed wonderfully before being overtaken by the hot pace of innovation, the one thing that remainded constant was the brave pilots who flew them, on all sides of the conflict.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 12:58:41 pm by Barry » Logged
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 03:42:19 am »

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 11:47:43 am »

A flight in a Spitfire would be awesome but is expensive, there are other cheaper options like a flight in a T6 Texan which costs around $800 for an hour in Florida from Kissimmee, but that does of course mean flying to Florida first. But could be combined with a Florida holiday of course. They also so flights in a P51 Mustang but I think these are approx $2500 though.

Another alternative would be a 25 minute flight in the Collins Foundation B-17 G (Nine O Nine) this costs around $425 but would also mean flying to the USA first.

I took a flight on the B17 over Sebring in 2002 and it was a great experience. Cost $350 then ( or £250 )
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 07:07:55 pm »

Hey Chris, good to hear you enjoyed the B-17 flight, I've thought about plunking down for B-17 ride myself, Aluminum Overcast is here every year.  There's a large municipal airport a few miles from our home, and several times a year the Cincinnati Warbirds organize bomber fly-in's for a long weekend.  Back in the autumn they had the only flying B-29, Fi-Fi, in town, accompanied by a B-25, a F4U Corsair, and an assortment of trainers, and transports.  I think the B-29 rides were around $600, we opted for the free ground tour.
I've got some great pics from the afternoon, have to figure out how to download them to the I-Pad.
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: