Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 12:10:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caen to Le Mans - help  (Read 6779 times)
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2016, 02:09:24 pm »

It's been suggested that I re-post this cry for help in here.  So here goes:

Second Fourth post and I'm begging for help already - sorry   Roll Eyes

Let's see:
1.  Ferry to Caen booked for Tuesday 14 Jun with elanman and mgmark (amongst others) - check.
2.  Camping for the week booked - check.
3.  Leave from work approved - nope, it just got rescinded.

Basically I am now required until Thu 16 Jun to run a training course.  Well since it's my course I sort of have to be there although I stamped my foot and am skipping the last day as we've been planning this trip since the last year.
The plan is now that the truck will still go over with all the kit on Tue 14 with Mrs W driving as per the original booking and I've now booked myself as a foot passenger (no baggage) on the Portsmouth/Caen ferry for the evening of Thu 16.  We then all come back together after the race as originally planned.

So, is it impolite to ask if anyone has a spare seat to Le Mans/Saint-Saturnin from the ferry on the morning of Fri 17 Jun?  Am happy to contribute beer/food/fuel tokens as well as witty and polite conversation as required.  I can always get the train - but that wouldn't be half as much fun.

Here's hoping that there is a kind soul out there who'll take pity on me.

JonW
TobyAnscombe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:44:09 pm »

Can offer a jump seat on Thursday morning... but from reading your post you still have a course to give during the day....
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:40:43 pm »

Very kind Sir - but as you point out...I'm a little unimpressed that this was all programmed after I'd told them I'd booked the leave and ferries etc...but yes I will still have my students on Thursday.
chrisvabc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:51:40 pm »

What time do u arrive at Caen
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:35:15 am »

The Ferry arrives alongside Caen 0645 Fri 17 Jun...so add a little for docking and unloading...

...what you thinking?
pedersenkorsager

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:38:57 pm »

just made a quick sceurch on trains.

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/choose-your-outbound-journey

Train from Caen to Le Mans leave regualy and only usens 1h35m to 2h7m for the trip.

So if you dont finde a ride this could be an option.

Kenn

The easy way to spot a Dane?
look for the hanging heads in the pitlane :-(
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:38:15 pm »

Very kind of you Kenn - that is an option.

Many thanks.

Jon
Pilgrim
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:59:02 pm »

The train ride from Caen to Le Mans is a pleasant one, certainly. I did it last year on my way out. One thing to remember is that the ferry docks at Ouistreham which is around 18-20 kilometres from the nearest train station which is at Caen. So be prepared for either a cheap bus ride or an expensive cab fare after disembarkation.
NorwayNick

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:46:47 pm »

or book all your students as foot passengers and tell them its a team building exersise Grin
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 07:11:50 am »

or book all your students as foot passengers and tell them its a team building exersise Grin

Now there's a thought....
Landy_Jon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 10:04:25 am »

Some info for future foot passengers:

The ferry arrives at 0645 in Caen and by 0700 you can be walking out the front door of the terminal (I stopped for a quick cafe).
Walk straight up through the carpark in front of the terminal and onto the main road, about 50yds on the right (heading away from the ferry) is the No 61 bus stop which will arrive about 10-15 minutes later.
Bus fare 1.50eu to the Gare SNCF (30 mins).
There is then a 0904 to Le Mans (direct) @ 27eu (they run every 90 minutes) so there is time to have another cafe et pain au chocolate, play the piano in the station and in 90 minutes (the 4th stop) you will be arriving in Le Mans.
From there it's the T1 tram from right in front of the station (direction Antares MMArena) to the end of the line and just a 15 minute walk Les Epinettes.

I can recommend the bus/train/tram route as very achievable and the timings would seem to work in return as well as a train leaves Le Mans at 1755 arriving Caen 1940 which would get you to the 2300 ferry (there is a 1958 arriving 2149 which is doable but could be tight unless you get a taxi).

I had actually bagged a lift - 2 to be honest:
Mrs W and the crew had met up with a stag do on the Tue ferry who had a spare space in their minibus - but that was a Thu AM sailing (not PM) so not a lot of use.
I also met a decent old cove in the foot passenger queue on Thu night who was on his way to his 35th Le Mans and was being picked up in France and offered a lift.  However as we tried to board the ferry, his ticket was rejected - he was a Le Havre passenger not Caen - you see we hadn't actually talked about which port he was being picked up at or I was going to.  Ah well...the train worked very well Grin

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:34:53 am by Landy_Jon » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: