Club Arnage
March 29, 2024, 11:49:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We've lost another...  (Read 2328 times)
jimclark

(nothing more needs to be said)

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:18:22 pm »

Maybe not too well known to most of you guys (east side of the pond) but was in the U.S.   Carl Haas, sole U.S. Lola and Hewland importer, car and team owner exraodinaire. 'Nother tie  to you was Nigels Indycar team owner (with Paul Newman).

RIP

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/tag/carl-haas/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 03:58:11 am by jimclark » Logged

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end..."

jimclark
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 11:02:32 am »

I assumed it would be the current F1 team Haas boss but not related apparently.

"He was the last F1 team owner from the United States prior to the unrelated Gene Haas's current programme, creating an outfit in partnership with ex-McLaren chief Teddy Mayer, Ford and Lola in 1985 and '86"
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 07:52:14 pm »

He was a "enigmatic" character to say the least.  Always had a unlit cigar in his mouth, was something of a aloof personality. While team principals like Penske, and Ganassi are always ready to greet fans, and have a chin-wag, Haas would always move through the paddock in a head down bull rush, and God forbid you were in his path if he was driving a paddock scooter or golf cart, he would run you right over!
Had great success as a team owner in F5000, Can-Am, and Indycar.  As the Lola importer to the U.S., he sold a helluva a lot of racing cars out of his Chicago headquarters.  He always had a bizarre pre-race ritual of touching the vital components of his cars on the grid before the start, I remember seeing a bemused Alan Jones watching these theatrics before a Can-Am round at Mid-O.  Alan had a look on his face like "what the f**k is he doing?"
The first race I witnessed in the flesh was won by a Haas Lola, driven by Sir JYS.
Fax
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: