Club Arnage
April 18, 2024, 02:02:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back to work  (Read 3591 times)
Lord Steve
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The only self appointed peer on Maison Blanche!

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2018, 12:29:35 pm »

Hi everyone
Back to reality as the alarm went off this morning and the hideous realisation that I had to get up and go back to work.
Sorry I missed most of you but spent a happy couple of hours with Ade and Barry watching Dr Feelgood and a good old drink with Rick and the lads in the Carlsberg bar.

Thank you to the brilliant folks at Ginetta for the 2 hours I spent in their garage on Friday and for the tour of the car and all their facilities. Absolutely awesome.

To the person(s) who stole my camping chairs on Saturday night I hope that they collapsed under you and a long length of aluminium tube was violently inserted where the sun don't shine you twat(s). I had to drink standing up!

I'm done now - this year was my last Le Mans after 23 years. I'm getting fed up with camping (my tent is still on Houx) and to be honest, the event has become far too corporate and removed from the first time I experienced the atmosphere.

It's been a real pleasure meeting all you Club Arnagers over the years and I hope that I bump into you again at the WEC at Silverstone in August and in future years.

Thanks for the beers and the camaraderie everyone.

See you

Steve

I tested negative for patience.
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:17:33 am »

Great to see you Steve.
Feel a bit the same as you after 17 years attendance.
Not the event I first visited in 2002 and getting a bit old for the camping/drinking/partying. Sad
Would consider more comfortable accommodation but out of my price range on/near circuit and to be honest I think the race was a bit boring this year, except GT Am, which I think will probably be repeated next year.
Conaero

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:12 pm »

I am absolutely fooooked.

Ive had this usual post Le Mans weariness that only a shot of Vodka can make feel better.

So, what did we all think?

Personally I thought the race was bollox but thats only part of the experience. No competition for LMP1 means its pointless.

Will I go next year, oh yes, until then, everything is just rest.

LM24 from 2007 till the day I die.
http://www.sportsmaserati.com
aricus654
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 02:45:27 pm »

Steve,

I’m sorry you’ve called time.

The race always needs well matched competition to be at its best.  We all know that comes and goes.  I think that LMP1 is at the end of a cycle.  Manufacturer Hybrids are pricey.

The thefts get me down though.  I think it’s coming from fellow campers not people coming in.  Were you chairs inside?  There does seem to be a view that if it’s not naked down and it’s out, then it’s good to go.

There is nothing like Le Mans - the size, length, devotion, but I think that you can do too much of anything (even beer), and you have to try something different or new.

I’m going to the Classic this year.  I am very concerned that I will just yearn for LM proper, but I just might be wrong.

Ian

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:34:46 pm »

Had a great time as usual, met lot's of people. Probably shouldn't have gone to the Carlsberg bar after JK concert but such fun.
Competitive races come and go but still love it.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 12:43:31 pm »

Some people know and some don't but basically I nearly had to cancel at the last minute due to my mums cancer returning and spreading in the last few months. With me and my partner doing all the care work kind of meant we wouldn't be able to attend. Thankfully we had arrangements put in place to make sure we could go last minute but we could still go.

It's something me and my dad always did together and it was my 15th Le Mans. I have seen a massive change in the atmosphere, madness, drinking and everything that goes on. I have to say it isn't as good as it used to be and it does lack something these days. LMP1 / LMP2 was boring but for me its about GTE etc the race for them was fantastic. For once I didn't listen to a lot of RLM, I just sat back and took it all in. LMP1 was only interesting to me as I went into the pits of the Toyota team as a friend was working for them and made it 2 wins with 2 teams in 2 years!

The concerts where ok, but security was a f'ing joke. Caused a fight at the dunlop bridge Saturday just being aggressive with folk. Usual some let you take alcohol in, some don't basically making things up as they go! Last few years it has seemed to of got calmer, less people and less activity.

All this said its a chance to see some great people and friends, make new memories and enjoy a break from the norm. Will I be at 2019 - Yes take my money now.

I am sorry you are not looking to head back Steve but I am sure you will forever cherish your memories and time at Le Mans

*p.s - I go back to work monday as got back from France last night

PAFC OK

Carpe Diem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 06:39:41 pm »

Not back to work until Saturday, she's back to work today and not enjoying it!!!

The open door to Toyota and Alonso both bored and irritated us but hey, who's to blame? Maybe next year the non hybrids will be better bedded in and might yet present a challenge to Toyota, if they stay, we'll see. Will we get another factory entrant? Will a privateer take the hybrid plunge? I doubt either of these scenarios happening so an improved non hybrid challenge is the only hope of an LMP1 resurrection, I think. The LMP2's and GTE's were all fairly processional too in my opinion and, with this in mind along with the increase in all things negative, prices, thieving, access restrictions and a bug which put me to bed asleep for 18 hours Sat / Sun we have decided to give next year, at least, a miss too.  

Thanks Rhino for taking some time out from refreshing yourself to wander over to visit us at Tertre Rouge and nice to put Canada Phil and Lawnmower Mans faces to the names in Le Mans town.

Maybe see some of you at Silverstone or at various BTCC events, au revoir mes amis.

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste....
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 03:52:13 pm »

I'm done now - this year was my last Le Mans after 23 years. I'm getting fed up with camping (my tent is still on Houx) and to be honest, the event has become far too corporate and removed from the first time I experienced the atmosphere.

It's been a real pleasure meeting all you Club Arnagers over the years and I hope that I bump into you again at the WEC at Silverstone in August and in future years.

Thanks for the beers and the camaraderie everyone.

See you

Steve

Thats what i thought last year after a decade or so. Ballsed off with camping and the ACO taking more from the fans and giving it to the corporate whores.

However, taking a year off is sh*t. I spent all weekend watching on TV and wishing i was there. Once it gets under your skin.......

See you in 2020 then Steve Grin

Si

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: