Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 05:40:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Club Arnage charity activity and funds  (Read 4357 times)
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« on: December 22, 2019, 10:23:54 am »

Some of you will remember that way back in time Club Arnage started some fund raising. Initially this was to overcome a problem with the CA hosting hardware but it soon morphed into a number of very successful fundraising ventures, in the early years being coordinated by Doris and others, and in around 2007 it was "formalised" with a fund raising committee to control the finances and give it direction, formed of MG Mark, DelBoy and the late Deb. Over the years revenues came largely from the CA Guide, merchandise and other events such as Drinking for Holland auctions of racing memorabilia etc donated by forum members.

The brilliant news is since 2007 CA raised in excess of £5000. Well done all, and thanks to all of those who contributed in any way.

At the time the committee was formed, the existing funds were dissipated equally between the Motorsport Safety Fund , the Kidney Research HQ and another charity whose name escapes me (no, I don’t think it was the Alzheimer’s Society!!).

Subsequently a decision was made to focus on two charities – the Motorsport Safety Fund and Worldwide Cancer Research (formerly the Association of International Cancer Research).

However times have changed and those sources of revenue no longer exist. So after discussions with the relevant people it has been agreed that the fundraising committee should be disbanded and all remaining funds donated to clear the accounts – primarily to relieve the committee of any ongoing obligations, in particular DelBoy who was “treasurer” and who, now that he is caring for a very disabled wife, sadly doesn’t expect to be at Le Mans again.

So the bank balance is currently £2555.56. Del has provided detailed supporting statements of the financials from when he took on the role, which I shall retain in the event of any future questions.

Due to an oversight at the time, the Motorsport charity was given £1200 in 2016 but no corresponding donation went to the Cancer charity - so the proposal is that the Cancer charity gets £1877 and the Motorsport charity gets the remainder, which evens it out.

There is an assumption that no-one will want to take on a fund raising and/or treasurer role, but if they do then it would be easiest to simply close off the existing accounts and start a new one, rather than getting signatories changed and all that palaver.

It would be good to get this closed off early in the New Year so if anyone has any objection or wishes to take on the role please get in touch with me via PM before then.

Once again thanks to all who have been involved or contributed in anyway way towards these magnificent efforts. The charities concerned have been most grateful for our support.

Wishing you all a great Christmas...  Smiley
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 08:23:40 pm »

I can confirm that donations have now been made as per the details above (with minor changes due to interest), and the CA Charity bank account(s) have now been closed.  All details of the account(s) will be retained should there be any enquiries.

I’ve attached the thank you letters received from the respective charities.

Note that the Motor Sports Safety charity has closed and been subsumed by the British Motor Sport Training Trust who therefore became the beneficiaries.

Thanks again to all who contributed to the Club Arnage charity fundraising efforts in any way, and especially to Del for managing the finances and assisting with this closure over the past few weeks.

Cheers
Geoff

* Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg (505.55 KB, 992x1403 - viewed 579 times.)

* Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg (303.37 KB, 744x1052 - viewed 389 times.)
John G

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 12:20:49 pm »

Gentlemen,
Thank-you for your work, well deserving charities of course

I thought their thank-you letters were excellent too

Regards,
John
Kev_mk3
Club Arnage God

The Cheeky Northern Monkey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 10:07:57 pm »

Deserving charities

championaudi
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 02:30:58 pm »

good choices Well done for sorting it out ,
DJet
Server Administrator
Administrator
Club Arnage Demi God

serveradmin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 09:50:21 am »

Clubarnage has now been running on my hosted server for well over 20 years (!) - and I guess partly because of the very restricted ay I installed and safeguarded it, it has to date not been compromised - though it is now quite outdated, and due to hardware fragility, I don't dare applying updates and reboot too much, until aI have a replacement server ready.

I deemed it due for replacement several years ago, we found a Dell PowerEdge 1950, and I personally forked out for some tasty 10k rpm SAS disks, and got it delivered to the hosting-center (in Copenhagen)  ... only to see it explode at an unfortunate power event (together with several other servers at the same place). I think its Disk controller was already a bit fragile, so when the power was unstable due to a faulty diesel generator, it expired.

I have since sourced yet another server, this time an HP 360 gen7, and transported it to the hostingcenter during a road trip where I was fetching my grand piano from Denmark anyway :-) ... and I am planning to move everything over "sometime soon" and upgrade everything in the process. I will announce this closer to the date so you all know.

It is worth to mention that the server is hosted in one if the best connected places - the Danish Internet Exchange -  (that was the reason we moved it there, as ClubArnage reaches far more than UK, and this place was far better connected) - and since I used to work there, it has for the last 10 years or so been hosted in our "skunkworks rack" - for free!, and I hope to keep it that way.  This is my contribution to the charity Smiley

These days, one can host such services many places in "The Cloud (which really just is "somebody else computer") - but this way, we are providing our own "cloud" and we have complete control. I like it that way.

/Djet aka Lennart
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 03:13:10 pm by DJet » Logged
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 01:14:59 pm »

Thank you DJet, for all the work you do to keep this site up and running.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 01:52:10 pm »

Thanks DJet
                  This site brings a lot of pleasure to a lot of people.
Phil
John G

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 01:56:44 pm »

Can I add my thanks too, a valuable contribution indeed
championaudi
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 04:53:15 pm »

Many thanks Djet,

During these 'strange times' this site has been a blessing,
Whist I should have been at Spa today, this site helps me look forward to better days ahead  Smiley
Ade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 08:11:34 pm »

Many thanks DJet,

Without CA I wouldn't have made so many friends.

Le Mans - the how you get there is not quite as important as being there.
Truck
CA Veteran

Are you HGV positive?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 09:44:00 pm »

Well done

Help, get me out of here.  Its Lorry

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 02:54:17 pm »

Thanks DJet, very good of you.

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: