Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 03:02:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speed Cameras  (Read 3654 times)
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2004, 05:21:04 pm »

There seem to be some enterprisng chaps out there.  An article I just read on-line:

Speed camera blown up by angry motorist

A disgruntled motorist blew up a speed camera with a home-made explosive device.

The blast is the latest in a series of attacks on cameras on the same stretch of road in Somerset.

One was demolished using an angle grinder and three others were burned using tyres filled with petrol.

Police said detectives believed the device, which exploded on the A37 near the village of Emborough, close to Shepton Mallet, was not professionally made and was manufactured out of "accessible explosives".

The latest attack, believed to be the first on a speed camera using explosives, signals an escalation in action against the Avon, Somerset and Gloucestershire Safety Camera Partnership.

Twelve of its 50 £40,000 cameras have been destroyed since last May.

Spokesman for the partnership, David Gollicker, said: "This incident is quite different to the other attacks with regard to the amount of vandalism involved.

"It is down to a group of motorists who are actively targeting these fixed cameras. They are a minority group and they must be aware that what they are doing is putting people's safety at risk.

"They could have done some harm to people and the consequences could be very serious."

Avon and Somerset police warned against the use of home-made devices and are asking anyone with any information about the attack to come forward. The camera has already been replaced.

05/02/2004 12:45

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 08:07:58 pm »

Wasn't it in this forum that I read about angle-grinder man? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/3112670.stm

And here's some Gatsos which got what they deserve - I particularly like the fate of the Barnsley one.

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2a.htm
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 08:10:44 pm by smokie » Logged
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 09:14:01 pm »

I am soooo proud to live in Somerset.  That is only about 15 miles up the road from here.

I know nothing about explosives.....

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 11:10:03 pm »

I am soooo proud to live in Somerset.  That is only about 15 miles up the road from here.

I know nothing about explosives.....

Are you sure DR?

Saw a piece on your local news (Points West) about some interesting things the youth in the West Country are doing with fireworks - sufficient enough to blow an old telephone box up and blow the door clean off it's hinges and 40 feet from it's original mountings.

The reporter then showed (with the aid of a fireworks expert) EXACTLY how to increase the explosive pressure of a small rocket by placing it in the middle of a Yellow Pages and taping it up securely, lighting the touchpaper and rapidly retiring. The result would have easily disabled a Gatso if strategically placed.

Don't try this at home folks he seriously intoned at the end of the piece.

Now - what did I do with that old phone book..........

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 11:41:11 pm »

The result would have easily disabled a Gatso if strategically placed.

Don't try this at home folks he seriously intoned at the end of the piece.

Now - what did I do with that old phone book..........

Sounds like the voice of experience!

How is your Scooby? All back as it should be follow the spoiler incident?

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
pretzel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

No Llamas here....

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 11:52:49 pm »

How is your Scooby? All back as it should be follow the spoiler incident?

Well thereby hangs a tale.....

Car all fixed up and looking as good as new (although in some lights I reckon it's a bit 2 tone where the respray was done, probably my perception but it will never be QUITE the same). Then what happens - parked up at Asda last Saturday went for the shopping etc. etc. Came back to the Scoob only to find half a dozen rampant shopping trolleys bashing against said new paintwork like rabid stags on heat. Been blown there by the high winds.

Needless to say I am now taking another trip to the body shop tomorrow to get a quote for some bare metal to be teased back to it's original position and painted over. Some guys get all the luck eh Huh

BTW - Got your flyer re: new track days, but having had new brakes recently I may well bed them in for a few months before giving them another good hammering. The service manager at my dealer reckons the front (fast road) pads were in the worst condition he'd ever seen!

A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink - W.C. Fields
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 10:11:28 am »

Wasn't it in this forum that I read about angle-grinder man?

Certainly was Smokie.  I know hes got his own website, but I'm blowed if i can find it.

I never realised that vandalising speed cameras had become such a national sport.  Now if only someone could do something about the ones on motorway gantries Wink

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 10:36:43 am »

"It is down to a group of motorists who are actively targeting these fixed cameras. They are a minority group and they must be aware that what they are doing is putting people's safety at risk.

"They could have done some harm to people and the consequences could be very serious."

Avon and Somerset police warned against the use of home-made devices and are asking anyone with any information about the attack to come forward. The camera has already been replaced.

If they seek professional help then why not contact the A-Team www.tuftufclub.nl ?  Grin

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 12:45:05 pm »

I know hes got his own website, but I'm blowed if i can find it.

Unfortunately his website (www.anglegrinderman.co.uk) appears to be off line  Huh

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: