Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 09:36:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Track changes this year - any news?  (Read 6235 times)
Darren
CA Veteran

Wannabe Jedi Knight

View Profile WWW
« on: May 13, 2003, 02:05:31 pm »

No doubt someone will put me right......

Has there been any changes for the track this year both from a drivers point of view or spectators ?

Darren  Roll Eyes

Darren - Team Sharpe
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 02:33:16 pm »

Apparently, there's been some resurfacing between Mulsanne Corner and Indianapolis. Source for that is John Hindhaugh via dailysportscar.net, so very reliable. Drove on that bit on the Saturday morning of the tests and didn't notice (but then I had only had 4 hours sleep in the back of the car!!).

From a "beerside" point of view, there are two new grandstands down by the Esses de la Foret that have just been announced.

Cheers

Rick
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 02:46:16 pm »

Hey Rickmeister,

Can you explain what's all this crap about whitelines maked on the track? I hear the drivers have been told to stay within the new lines and away from the corner apexes by up to a metre or so. This is not difficult for some of the paying drivers, they do that anyway, but is this for real?

PS. Bath for the Cup? On your bike. Bath for the drop next year more like. Bloody lucky this time mate!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Mr. Rick
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Mulsanne on a sunny June Sunday; it's a hard life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2003, 03:06:18 pm »

Thanks for the support Andy  Wink - it wasn't luck - it was destiny!!! (And you're right, we're destined for the drop next year at this rate. Got tickets for the final which could be the last game for Bath ever if this ridiculous merger happens  Angry

Anyway, back to the subject in hand (oo-er missus). There were indeed white line rulings in a bid to prevent the amount of punctures the Audis (in particular) had last year, allegedly by gravel brought on to the track. But given the evidence below from the test day, looks like it was them in the first place!! There were a few penalties handed out during the tests, but the faster proto boys were doing this every lap, so making a bit of a mockery of it all. Will be interesting to note any further developments come race week, particularly regarding disqualified qually times etc...

hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2003, 04:47:55 pm »

They should rather change the sort of gravel they use in the traps. The stones are quite sharp and that was the problem last year. I think the current rule is a warning if you cross the line for the first time, a stop - go for the second time and an exclusion of the driver in case he crosses the white line for the third time. That's pretty harsh and could lead to a very short race. The new rule is crap.

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Ruptured Duck Motorsport
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2003, 05:53:14 pm »

In all homnesty that shot doesnt show a "kerb", just a painted bit of tarmac...   Build some real kerbing and I am sure they will keep off it  Shocked

Scarred old slaver know he’s doin’ alright.
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2003, 05:56:20 pm »

So does this mean if a car does go off the circuit and end up in the gravel thats the end of the race for it?  Or is it allowed to continue as long as it makes its way back to the pits staying outside the white line?
hgb
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

You don't win Le Mans - you outlast it.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2003, 10:01:36 pm »

Maybe yes, you never know the ACO. I reckon, they have to blow the race off after latest 2 hours if they stick to the new rule. Anyone in to bet against this ?

I don't care - I'm a racing driver and I'm here to win, not to finish third.
Gilles
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2003, 10:32:29 pm »

No doubt someone will put me right......

Has there been any changes for the track this year both from a drivers point of view or spectators ?

Darren  Roll Eyes

... the ACO decide, to make the race more attractive after 79 boring years, and despite a wonderful PQ, to make the cars drive in the other way !

Le Mans is life, anything before and after is just waiting...

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 10:34:57 pm »

In reverse?? That'd be fun...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: