Club Arnage
June 09, 2024, 12:45:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radar Detectors in France  (Read 17656 times)
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2004, 08:10:51 pm »

Road Angel is very good, and very popular.

Most SPECS cameras are painted yellow on either Motorway bridges , gantries or silly poles poking out into the lanes.

They can ONLY take your first picture if you are breaking the limit past either the 1st camera , so you get a ticket , the 2nd , so you get a ticket , or if you do both , you get screwwed as it will give your average over a distance of 1 mile, proof you are going too fast.

Observation is the key.

If in doubt slow down a little , let the BMW go past and he will set the cameras off  Cheesy

Take life by the horns and live it.
redstu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Buuuuurp!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2004, 11:34:18 pm »

Its not just speed cameras that are bloody annoying, but traffic lights which are now springing up at every junction that used to have a perfectly sensible roundabout!

Another opportunity to make money as you can't jump a roundabout like you can a red light, you then have to speed to make up the time yo've lost at the red light.

And P+''s poor road design as well just to add to the misery, and slow things down further, all designed to make you take the bus which then makes you late as the traffics so f''''$$ n slow!

moan , moan grumble, not like when I was a lad.

stu

smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 12:13:51 am »

[quote

They can ONLY take your first picture if you are breaking the limit past either the 1st camera , so you get a ticket , the 2nd , so you get a ticket , or if you do both , you get screwwed as it will give your average over a distance of 1 mile, proof you are going too fast.

My understanding is that SPECS takes a pic of EVERY car at EACH camera. The number plate is read and stored digitally. When you pass each camera, your pic is taken and it calculates your average speed between the cameras.  Non speeders registrations are discarded after a certain length of time. The data is held on disk. They are networked "back to base" so the disk will never fill i.e. unlike Gatso and Truvelo they will never "run out of film" and you will never see our friends in blue (or the Speed Partnership people) filling them up.

They are usually in a sequence of at least 3, so you could be done for too fast between 1 & 2, 1 & 3 or 2 & 3. I don't believe they do single shot camera tickets from SPECS.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2004, 02:23:26 am »

We dont have SPECS in Hampsire , just lots of TRUVELOs. But the pst i put up is  what  mate from Staffordshire told me about the M6 mess

engineerjim
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2004, 04:00:08 pm »

Try this link although I do not know how up todate it is

http://205.gti.club.pts.free.fr/radars/radars_menu.htm
engineerjim
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2004, 04:11:53 pm »

This from the speedcamera web site

BEWARE : It is Illegal to use or even BE IN POSSESSION of a radar detector in FRANCE.
Expect a £500 fine for possession or £1250 if caught using.
Can't Pay the fine?.... then you'll experience a night in the cells have your car confiscated.

Do they have anything like these sneaky little mobile cash machines in France

[attachment deleted by admin]
Joe90
CA Veteran

You Buy It, We'll Race It

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2004, 03:50:34 pm »

I have seen it reported in the press that even if you leave sticky marks on the windscreen from a detector (that you may therefore have left at home) the French Rozzers may well totally empty your car looking for it.
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2004, 04:01:20 pm »

Yes,
And the same goes for sticky marks anywhere else; personally I blame it on the long drive and that out-of-balance front offside wheel.
What they empty your car looking for will depend on the temperament and inclination of the individual officer I believe.
God help you if you have a Red Snooper.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
thebear
CA Veteran

That's ME! 21 OCT 1962, up the hill at Limerock CT

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2004, 02:10:58 am »

I use a V1 system here in the States that picks up most bands; K, micro, and also laser (though if you're picking up laser you're usually screwed 'cos it's already pointing at you).Thanks, Dave
Shocked One other item about "Detectors" in the US: In jurisdictions where they are illegal, the "Authorities" also have a device called a "VG2". This is a detector that finds radar detectors.  Lips Sealed

Cheesy On the subject of "Circles on the windscreen", you could of course be using a GPS (if you have one).  Roll Eyes

Steer clear of people with antinuclear bumper stickers pasted on their cars.

They are interested in preserving mankind, which is admirable. They are not necessarily interested in preserving you, or themselves, for that matter.

They have more important things to think about.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2004, 07:41:15 pm »

In reality radar detector violations are not rigidly enforced in the US - even the conservative states that do not allow their use.

I was surprised by Robbo, Smokie and others revelations about new types of fixed speed traps that photograph no. plates and measure over specific distances for ave speed. It would be great if the plod applied as much creativity to catching criminals and preventing the ever rising tsunami of illegal immigrants into UK.

Here in US, Highway speed enforcement (as opposed to urban, which is a different argument altogether) is purely a revenue generation strategy - and the Cops treat it as such - no lectures about death and destruction - "Where's the fire, sonny?" just book 'em and onto the next one. They don't give a sh*t about radar detectors, even in DC, where they are fabled to have zero tolerance.
In France, I would imagine the nifty Fazer would be more appropriate. This is a radar/laser jammer, rather than a detector. It corrupts radar and laser patterns and again is legal in most states here. Good bit is that you can mount it discretely - even between the radiator and front grille, rendering it all but invisible to the filth and will also confuse an 'instant-on'.
The manufacturer offers to pay speeding fines of users if caught, while using a Fazer (can't help feeling there would be a bit of small-print attached to that offer, however).
Downside is that it is only forward facing - no good if Smokey Bear is sneaking up behind you. Fazer costs around $350.00

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2004, 12:47:26 am »

But laser jammers over here are illegal, and so when you scramble the display on plods device he will nick you for some other offence anyway (and probab;y do you for speeding too - if there are two of them that share the opinion that you were speeding, that is good enough to get you on (I know that at my expense...)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2004, 09:30:56 am »

Use of a jammer in the UK can contravene the 1948 Wireless and Telegraphy Act, so the police will nick you as having operated an unlicensed wireless transmitter outside of the requirements of that Act.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2004, 02:03:29 pm »

Use of a jammer in the UK can contravene the 1948 Wireless and Telegraphy Act, so the police will nick you as having operated an unlicensed wireless transmitter outside of the requirements of that Act.

Jesus H Christ , where sis you find old girl.

Never used it or even heard of it.

Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2004, 05:17:46 pm »

Interesting articles regarding jammers here:
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/jamlaw.htm

and about SPECs here:
http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/specs.htm

from Surrey police
http://www.surrey.police.uk/area_item.asp?area=&itemID=4230&division=3

Steve East Anglian cobras

Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2004, 06:04:38 pm »

If it's deemed illegal, then there's nowt much to be done, I suppose. However Fazer and Phantom jammers are passive - i.e. don't transmit, but scramble and reflect.
so W&T Act would be hard to enforce.
Cold comfort, as you're being wrestled to the ground and maced at the roadside by Britains finest though.
I think it's interesting to note the difference in attitude to this by law enforcement in UK v US. Here, if you devise a sneaky way to avoid a speeding pinch, the cops devise an even more cunning way to thwart your evasive technology. In Britain, they just bust you regardless, it seems.
I suppose the only solution is to obey the speed limit. Yeah, right.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: