Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 01:10:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats the top speed?  (Read 26461 times)
Dave H
CA Veteran

burrrrrrrrppppp

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2004, 10:02:18 pm »

Damn, I got Harper reaction from the other Harper....

LOL  Wink

Dave- if i could ride my bike or probably even drive a car like Valentino rossi, i would be happy. But alas no, Great in a straight line on the bike, and still learning on the bendy stuff. Althoguh i have a few bits of spanish roads happliy in-grained into my knee sliders  Grin

It's all about the bendies dude.  If you've never read "A Twist of the Wrist", get it.  I currently ride a Triumph Sprint - such a great engine - though my exploration of one of my brother's Fireblade really gave me an eye opening as to how much you could throw a bike around.  Jeezuss.

Glad to hear you're burning some bends into your memory Robbo - I too have several roads near my house where it's possible to get into some monkey business.  I've got some major twisties south of Indianapolis where I live.

Matt - I've decided I'm driving to RA for the Petit later in the year - can you bring the Vette up?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 10:03:43 pm by Dave H » Logged
nlash
CA Veteran

hey... its only money

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2004, 10:55:03 pm »

Seems i've stirred a few emotions with my contentious post.

OK, we all share a passion for fast cars or bikes, we wouldn't be reading from this forum if we didn't. My concern is the basis for this thread in that touching very high speeds on public roads where non likeminded people are placed is dangerous and not very clever. On an organised trackday everyone has signed the disclaimer and is expectant of other users taking their cars/bikes to the limit. On the road there are users that have not deliberately placed themselves in that position and are held to ransom by others wanting some fun.

"Patronising and pompous" you couldn't be further from the truth Matt. I just want to get to Le Mans and back in one piece and have a great time. I'm not saying there are quick drivers reading this forum that are incapable of handling their powerful machines but no matter how experienced any of the readers on here are, quicker cars getting very big in the mirrors of my Noddy car are not immune to such occurances as a tyre blowout and when touching speeds well into three figures, what's going to happen? Unlikely yes, but it could happen. Worst case scenario, slower driver gets sideswiped and killed. Slower driver didn't ask for this to happen did he? No. On a trackday on the other hand, if this kind of incident were to happen then the slower driver has accepted the risks prior to starting his engine.

I'm just as guilty for breaking speed limits as the next man who's into quick cars, but there is a time and a place to go completely mad and take the piss. Noddy cars as you put it are quick in their own way and the tecnique involved in handling cars or bikes on corners takes far greater skill than caning in a straight line.

This thread may only be a bit of fun but I still believe that those who wish to take their machines to the limits mentioned in previous posts are only thinking of what kicks they can get rather than the passive dangers they are placing others.

Regardless, I hope everyone has a great time at LM this year and returns safely after a mighty good piss up
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 12:09:59 am by nlash » Logged
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2004, 11:15:20 pm »

Just to add another pert to the scenario.

Whilst enjoying my bike to MY limts as a rider in Spain last week, i was the ONLY person for 30 miles. No cars, bikes, sheep, cows, people or Noddy cars.
I was riding to a System, that is taught to me here in the UK, and was good fun, but 3 figures, YES, most of the way. Thats why i own a Sports bike ( car if i could ) and not a SMART car.

Take life by the horns and live it.
nlash
CA Veteran

hey... its only money

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2004, 11:23:07 pm »

Just to add another pert to the scenario.

Whilst enjoying my bike to MY limts as a rider in Spain last week, i was the ONLY person for 30 miles. No cars, bikes, sheep, cows, people or Noddy cars.
I was riding to a System, that is taught to me here in the UK, and was good fun, but 3 figures, YES, most of the way. Thats why i own a Sports bike ( car if i could ) and not a SMART car.

Like I said, a time and a place. No traffic around then yeah go for it although personally, if there is any chance of someone pulling out from a junction then I tend to back off. On a clear motorway though with no traffic then it would be a shame not to.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2004, 11:50:10 pm »

On a clear motorway though with no traffic then it would be a shame not to.

....except that's a straight road. Seriously though, your further postings reveal much more eloquence, rationale and skill with words - a pleasure to read points of view argued as well as you do.
I've had the good fortune to attend several track days (cars and motorcycles) and they are obviously the only safe scenario when the need for speed arises.
I'm not sure that many of the individual braggards (myself included) who posted on this topic unleashed their horses and scythed through rush hour traffic in their quest to hit the rev-limiter. But you are right. A tyre failure, a semi concious French farmer with a trailer-load of cow sh*t, pulling out into your path - or just some innocent, pootling along, not really aware of what is going on around him, could make the scene very ugly.
I guess it boils down to respect for the circumstances and awareness of personal limitations. My car is faster than I am. The motorcycle I ride is faster than I am. Had I had access to either of them when I was - say 25 years old, I would definately have killed myself.
I cannot factor every possible eventuality when I'm out on the road. I feel that my years of experience and tuition on the road and on the track count for something, but it's usually the unforeseen that really fucks you up.
The touble is, fast is fun. Good roadcraft is satisfying and rewarding.
It's all going to be over sooner than any of us would like. The oil's going to be gone, the roads are going to be clogged with uniform-shaped jellymoulds running sedately on solar and hydrogen - or (dare I say it) nuclear fission - all occupied by depressed, uninspired and mournful drivers. I just feel I must make hay while the sun's still shining - and making a value judgement on the limitations of myself and my ride.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
nlash
CA Veteran

hey... its only money

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2004, 12:06:22 am »

It's all going to be over sooner than any of us would like. The oil's going to be gone, the roads are going to be clogged with uniform-shaped jellymoulds running sedately on solar and hydrogen - or (dare I say it) nuclear fission - all occupied by depressed, uninspired and mournful drivers. I just feel I must make hay while the sun's still shining - and making a value judgement on the limitations of myself and my ride.

I couldn't agree more. While we do have the internal combustion engine  then the likes of you and me will take pleasure from the emotions it can stir. Like you say, this pleasure can be achieved in a relatively safe manner. There will always be accidents where there is more than one piece of machinery sharing the same piece of tarmac and as you comment,  if we respect our limits then there is no need to hand ourselves or others to the grim reaper, on a plate.

Edited to say.... despite my opinions in this and previous posts, I really really hate speed cameras with a passion. Statistics will tell you that they have saved hundreds of lives. Personally, I think money talks.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 12:18:02 am by nlash » Logged
Fax
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2004, 02:41:04 am »

Ah yes! Getting out on the backroads and really giving it some stick, perfectly executed drifts, stand on the brakes, power down hard and aim for that blind apex...Man I'm flying now.  The great thing about driving a wheezing battered old VW?  I can drive like that and still be barely breaking the speed limit.
John
skorpio
CA Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2004, 09:13:39 am »

Ah yes! Getting out on the backroads and really giving it some stick, perfectly executed drifts, stand on the brakes, power down hard and aim for that blind apex...Man I'm flying now.  The great thing about driving a wheezing battered old VW?  I can drive like that and still be barely breaking the speed limit.
------------------------------------------------

know the feeling well  Grin Grin  what "battered old VW" do you drive??? air or watercooled?
Fax
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2004, 02:25:20 pm »

Hi Scorp,
Water cooled these days but had a long line of old air cooled Buggers back in the good old days.  Would still love to find one but most have rusted into oblivion by now.  Every year here in Cincy there is an enormous gathering of VW's at a weekend show and there's a example of about every VW ever built that shows up.  Even one of those old Afrika Corps things complete with an MG-42.
John
BigSteve
CA Veteran

I AM A NUMBER!!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2004, 04:19:11 pm »

Ah well - a post that I thought would be interesting with some funny stories has turned into a slaging match - What I didn't ask is was " what is the most dangerous bit of driving anybody has done" or " how many people did you kill last year"!

Doing 30 on a bike in a traffic jam is far more lethal - to the rider at least, than flat out (whatever speed) on an empty, long (twisty occasionally) road with the only other thing around - your 2 mates on a 600 Duke and Blade somewhere behind you. With other traffic - it's very hard to resist when the passenger in a 996 has her tits out waving you on past 150!

Nlash - please don't rant to people they're all stupid! But welcome to CA - I hope you get the jist of why you've logged in!

We are all here because we love speed - why else go to France, watch exotic cars, at 200mph, for 24hrs!

Hope you all have a safe and happy Le Mans - I know I will, I'll speed, get very drunk, abuse some foreigners, watch some amazing action, have a smile on my face for months and stories for my kids for years.

I never touched it!!!!
rcutler
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2004, 04:35:38 pm »

On the way down to Pre-Quals we I decided to try and overtake a car then decided against playing chicken with a 48 tonner.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2004, 11:04:18 pm »

On the way down to Pre-Quals we I decided to try and overtake a car then decided against playing chicken with a 48 tonner.

and your point is..............................?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2004, 11:57:40 pm »

Matt, you need to know what rcutler drives then you'd get the point...
rcutler
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2004, 09:43:06 am »

This is it but with 4 people and camping gear it is a 3.5 tonne brick with Drum Brakes!!! Acceleration is crap at 60 and when going up a hill Andy said give it a bit more but I was already flat out 50mph!!! I think we were a bit heavy Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2004, 03:07:45 pm »

rcutler, I rather like that Veedub, but what engine does it have? My T4 *.*van( letters omitted in case my gaffer sees this and so she won't recognise me Wink ) has the five pot turbod and is indecently quick. I have to keep the eye on its speedo all the time, one lapse left me decellerating in a hurry from 108 on a motorway near home...

Our vans have to carry tons of spares and tools, I hadn't realised how good they must be. I had thought of trying to buy it when its lease is up to make a camper like yours, a definite maybe now, be great at LeMans!

Have to get a nicer respray than its present colour. Grin

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: