Club Arnage
May 01, 2024, 07:33:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap Fast Craft  (Read 9114 times)
skorpio
CA Veteran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 06:48:25 pm »

Plus you miss the entertainment on the Ferry.
---------------------------------------------

.....entertainment?Huh?? Shocked Roll Eyes you must have been on differant ferries to me  Wink  I wouldn't class what I've heard as entertainment  Tongue
......but do prefer the longer crossing, more time in the bar, especially as SWMBO can drive off the thing  Wink
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 10:34:18 pm »

I have to agree with pretzel.  But IMHO youonly need to be west of London.  Fo me it's about an hours drive from home to Portsmouth a six hour crossing and then a two and a half hour drive to the Circuit.
It would take the same elapsed time if I went Via Dover but I'd get no sleep.

Plus you miss the entertainment on the Ferry.

I take it you weren't on the Portsmouth - Caen last year on the Wedneday night then??  Smiley
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2004, 01:20:11 am »

I was not refering to the "PAID FOR" Brittany ferries entertainment.

Jeeezzzz you guys are Soooo unhip it's a wonder your Bums don't fall off.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2004, 09:38:02 am »

I was not refering to the "PAID FOR" Brittany ferries entertainment.

Jeeezzzz you guys are Soooo unhip it's a wonder your Bums don't fall off.

Neither was I!!!  Some drunken reprobate told the DJ last year he was crap and took his mike off him and started doing Karaoke. Oh, hang on.......it was me!!  Grin
Abs
CA Veteran

Boys at TVR do it again!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2004, 10:12:31 am »

Neither was I!!!  Some drunken reprobate told the DJ last year he was crap and took his mike off him and started doing Karaoke. Oh, hang on.......it was me!!  Grin

This seems to happen on all pompey-caen crossing, once there was an old couple providing the entertainment (cue H) and someone was dancing around in front of them and singing, the old girl said if he didn't stop then they would pack up and go to which the reply was go on then f**k off. Got to say the guy causing the couple problems took the mike and provided a better class of entertainment.

Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
remembering the same thing
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2004, 03:52:32 pm »

On Pompey Caen maybe 3 or 4 years ago there was an odd couple, him with a small organ (phnarrr phnarrrr) and she was playing a harp.

They were enjoying the sing along and banter so much that they played longer than they should. Best evening they'd had in years - not so sure about us though, but it was a laugh.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2004, 02:24:11 pm »

Morning fellas. Just back from a week away ( instead of 2) but managed to get to Morocco.

Ferries - cheaper ones break down, smell of puke and dont sell nice things like cold drink ! The ones to Tangier are horrid, and cheap !

Boulongne is a terrible place to get out of and the ferry port is decaying. That route wont last, the last 2 firms havent from Newhaven / Dover to Boulogne. the Calais route is too powerful as opposition.

The Portsmouth routes are more expensive, but are better for offering more food choise etc etc oh and a cabin ( £80) for 4 berth. Its £60 a night at most inner city hotels, so you cant grumble.

I didnt realise until yesterday that Le Havre and Caen are VERY expensice to dock at.

Due to low water levels around Normandy beaches the routes in and out of caen and Le Havre are very congested.

And its very costly. I dont mind paying the ferry, they are running a business.

Some good news , esopecially for Mr Zarce and other Vommit Commit sufferers. The new portsmouth express to Caen route is MUCH better than the cherbourg one. You can stand out in the open air and the food is better.
I managed to keep my food down yesterday. Also for speed freaks, the initial rush  when the boat leaves port is quite amazing as it picks up to its 40 knot cruise quickly, and whilst pulling 200 cars.

Give it ago, because its catching on and will be very busy next year. especially when P&O dont go to Le Havre anymore !!!!

Take life by the horns and live it.
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2004, 05:20:00 pm »

Due to low water levels around Normandy ...

Doesn't this vary according to the time of day?
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2004, 06:48:23 pm »

Due to low water levels around Normandy ...

Doesn't this vary according to the time of day?

No idea,I was talking to the 1st Officer . but as he is danish i didnt ask too many questions, but took his word for it.

Otherwise i guess its called the Tide ??

Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2004, 01:52:24 am »

Perhaps the entrance channel needs to be dredged frequently. Dredging is a very expensive operation.
Canada Phil
Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 02:24:31 pm »

Morning fellas. Just back from a week away ( instead of 2) but managed to get to Morocco.

Ferries - cheaper ones break down, smell of puke and dont sell nice things like cold drink ! The ones to Tangier are horrid, and cheap !

Boulongne is a terrible place to get out of and the ferry port is decaying. That route wont last, the last 2 firms havent from Newhaven / Dover to Boulogne. the Calais route is too powerful as opposition.

The Portsmouth routes are more expensive, but are better for offering more food choise etc etc oh and a cabin ( £80) for 4 berth. Its £60 a night at most inner city hotels, so you cant grumble.

I didnt realise until yesterday that Le Havre and Caen are VERY expensice to dock at.

Due to low water levels around Normandy beaches the routes in and out of caen and Le Havre are very congested.

And its very costly. I dont mind paying the ferry, they are running a business.

Some good news , esopecially for Mr Zarce and other Vommit Commit sufferers. The new portsmouth express to Caen route is MUCH better than the cherbourg one. You can stand out in the open air and the food is better.
I managed to keep my food down yesterday. Also for speed freaks, the initial rush  when the boat leaves port is quite amazing as it picks up to its 40 knot cruise quickly, and whilst pulling 200 cars.

Give it ago, because its catching on and will be very busy next year. especially when P&O dont go to Le Havre anymore !!!!

Hope you had a nice trip.

I am slightly puzzled by the reference to Newhaven as there is currently a Hoverspeed SeaCat service from Newhaven to Dieppe which has been running in the summer months for the last few years (at least 4 possibly more)  They did try running the service in all months except December Jan and Feb, however the weather proved a hindrance!  On occasions though its not a reliable route.

In addition to the Seacat there is a standard ferry service from Newhaven to Dieppe, and that service is now at least 2 years old.  The ships are slow, and have been known to run aground on the approach to Newhaven due to a lack of dredging.  However the route is meant to be freight friendly as it provides a 4 hour break.  Apparently 2 brand new ships are being built for the route.

Folkestone-Boulonge is more problematic.  The long sea crossings work because you know there is no ferry for x hours so if you miss yours you're stuffed.  Going from Calais you basically travel on th next craft.  Folkestone - Boulonge will have to be very cheap to undercut Dover-Calais due to convienence factor, and the lack of ease for finding the route when doing an internet search the other day does not bode well.
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2004, 06:14:30 pm »

Chris, there was a Freight only route from Newhaven to Boulogne a few years back, it didnt last long.

But thanks, it was a nice trip.

Chrisgr31
CA Veteran

Who wants a beer?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2004, 12:31:19 am »

Newhaven to Boulogne?  It must have taken all week, no wonder it didn't last long!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: