Club Arnage
June 07, 2024, 04:39:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Take time out to remember them  (Read 21914 times)
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 06:41:58 pm »

Braver than any of us will ever have to be - thank God.
We should not forget that the majority of other side were not exactly there by choice either.
Chris (Liverpool Boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 08:17:28 pm »

Here, Here totally agree what they did for us should and will not be forgotton.

Unfortunately not as many people of my generation seem to share the same view which is a disgarce.

Bring on the low flyers
Robbo SPS
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Go Your Own Way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 09:35:29 pm »

I will be having a toast to them during the week.

Thank You.

Take life by the horns and live it.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 09:44:11 pm »

Amen,

Is there a guide on the areas available. we are on a later than intended ferry and have more than enough time (that sounds terrible when put against the debt owed by us to those that fell) to visit some places and pay our respects.

We have said a prayer at war graves in the past, but have yet to visit Pegaus bridge etc.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 10:03:08 pm »

There is a memorial to a Canadian Lancaster shot down near arnage. Its south of the circuit on one of the dirt roads.
Stopped there a few years ago around dawn on the sunday, you can still here the cars going round.
Say your thanks to people like them that we can enjoy our todays because they gave their tomorrows

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 10:29:34 pm »

I think here particularly of the nose art that adorned - and still does - aircraft, messages chalked on tanks etc.   The Armed forces have always been adept at putting humour into even the most dire situations, so I think it would be appreciated by most.   As many know from other posts, I have the privilege and pride of being a serving member of the light blue for the last 27 years.   It always heartens me enormously to know that guys who have no particular connection with us think of those past and present in the Armed Forces, and take the time out to remember the sacrifices in their own way, whether at the prow of the Caen ferry, or stopping at one of the war cemeteries or battle fields on the way.  

To all of you who do remember and think of these things from time to time - a humble thank you.  

Apologies to all. This post now appears slightly out of context, but it was a response to a post which has now been removed, but stands in it's own right.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 05:00:45 pm by smokie » Logged

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2004, 10:42:15 pm »

Is there a guide on the areas available

Nordic,

Try these as a starter.

http://www.normandy-dday.com/gb/08dday/normandy-dday/Default_Gb.asp?thema=history

http://www.raf.mod.uk/dday/

Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2004, 12:28:53 am »

I would like to thank all that have posted on this humble thread. As Smokie, says it brings shivers to my spine and I may add a tear to the eye on your stunning response.
Raise a glass to them all ( and I do mean all that lost there lives in this conflict) during our trip.
Then enjoy the event and call in for a low flyer on MB.
Thanks
Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
DickieAttwood
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 12:30:14 am »

The Soldier

If I should die, think only this of me:

That there’s some corner of a foreign field

That is forever England. There shall be

In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;

A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,

Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,

A body of England’s, breathing English air,

Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

Rupert Brooke

One of the few poems that means anything to me.  Whenever I'm out on a trip  and see a war memorial I make a point of reading all the names and nationalities..

Send Lawyers, Guns and Money. The sh1t has hit the fan.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 12:40:38 am »

Being an ex-Merchant Navy marine engineer, whenever I'm in London in the Tower Hill area, I always visit the Merchant Navy memorial garden.

It always saddens me to know that, apart from the military losses of the World Wars, the Merchant Navy also suffered heavy losses - 24,000 in World War Two.

From the memorial inscription :
"The twenty four thousand of the Merchant Navy and fishing fleets are honored on the walls of this garden gave their lives for their country and have no grave but the sea."

more information here :
http://www.british-merchant-navy.co.uk/INDEX.htm
and here :
http://www.british-merchant-navy.co.uk/TOWER.htm

[attachment deleted by admin]

Steve East Anglian cobras

Brian(Liverpool boys)
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 12:43:50 am »

Nice one Steve, as x MN myself can relate to this.
Brian.

To make your dreams come true, you have to stay awake.
More Low Flyer's anyone.
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2004, 05:56:35 am »

Rhino, The Canadian Lancaster is of particular interest to me would you PM me details of location.?
Nordic, Pegasus Bridge is well worth a visit. Be sure to cross over to the other side where the gliders landed.  I intend to see the museum there this year.
Brian,Thanks for starting this thread.
Canada Phil
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2004, 06:54:33 pm »

Hmmmm.....
Not sure about this one. It's a fine line between respect and jingoism, and a lot of non-allies died too, believing they were doing the right thing.
Changing tack a little, I visited Thiepval last year, and even though it was summer, that particular day was overcast with a penetrating drizzle. It was difficult to walk away without feeling very humble. Maybe places such as Thiepval are where our respects should be paid.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
gibberish
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Old Smoothy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2004, 07:34:07 pm »

Whenever I'm out on a trip  and see a war memorial I make a point of reading all the names and nationalities..

If you should ever get to the Menin Gate, be prepared for a VERY long stay.  It is truly awe inspiring.  So many names it defys belief.

Reality is an illusion caused by alchohol deficiency!
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2004, 03:23:00 pm »

For anyone interested in getting hold of maps of the normandy landing beaches, there are an abundance of both Engish and French maps available from Stanfords in Long Acre Covent garden. They also have a comprehensive range for the 14-18 front line, campaign and trench maps.
Particularly good ones are Major and Mrs. Holts series (don't laugh). They have cemeteries, memorials etc all clearly marked.

If any of you out there haven't paid a trip to the Somme, I suggest that you make a point of doing so. I is quite simply one of the most moving experiences you will ever have bar none. The tranquility and serenity of these places is something that will last with you for a life time. It is also a  supreme example of the futility of any conflict and the unsurpassed bravery of ALL of the fallen.
We really are not worthy.

Rusty

www.stanfords.co.uk  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 03:26:34 pm by The Brethren » Logged

The Brethren Rock
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: