Club Arnage
April 30, 2024, 09:23:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Le Mans Classic 2006  (Read 3611 times)
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2005, 12:04:06 pm »

From the ACO website. Good news, and start planning that trip!

The 3rdLe Mans classic will be held on 7-8-9 July 2006
What’s new in 2006?
The eligibility period has been extended to 1979.

This will allow the following cars to take part:
BMW M1s as this vehicle was entered for Le Mans for the first time in 1979 and it symbolised BMW’s return to endurance racing.
The legendary roar of the Ferrari 512 BBs will be heard again on Les Hunaudières. These cars raced at Le Mans for the first time in 1978 and really began to make an impact the following year in the Sarthe and Daytona 24-Hour events. In 1980, the 512 BB was lightened, improved aerodynamically, found a few extra horsepower and scored some good results in the Le Mans 24 Hours with 10th place overall plus an IMSA Category victory. The 512 BB’s best performance in the Sarthe came in 1981 when one finished 5th overall.
1979 was also the year when Porsche scored its first win since the legendary 917’s success in 1971 thanks to the famous 935 coupe.
The event will now be a real 3-day affair, as the circuit will be closed from Friday afternoon onwards. This will give the different grids more practice time.

Description : A Retrospective of one of the legendary motor races in the world.
The biggest European assembly of historic cars.

The initiators : The A.C.O, creator and organiser of the Le Mans 24 Hours, and Peter Automobile, promoter of motor car events.

The date : 7-8-9 July 2006

The competition : 396 cars (+ 72 reserves), whose common feature is to have taken part in the Le Mans 24 Hours between 1923 and 1979, will be divided into 6 grids according to their period. In keeping with tradition the start will be given at 16h00 on Saturday afternoon and the chequered flag will be hung out at 16h00 on Sunday. Cars will take up their positions on a dummy Le Mans type grid before the formation lap. As a 24-Hour event would be a bit too strenuous for historic cars the drivers will race day and night with three heats for the various grids. As usual drivers will form teams made up of cars from each one of the grids.

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 01:16:04 pm »

The 2004 Classic was a brilliant weekend.  We had our own CA camp area and managed to partake in a few beverages and even get to see some racing.

Imagine the Goodwood Circuit Revival multiplied by ten!
I for one will be there for 2006, an event not to be missed.

To those who've not been before and want a feel for the event, there's a compilation of my video here http://www.cobraclub.com/cobragallery/data/3026/362Le_Mans_Classic_2004_small_file_.wmv

and my photo's start here http://community.webshots.com/album/168118627tHJIYs and follow the left hand menu.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 09:56:45 pm »

Whish they would space it out a bit from the 24, been to most of the Goodwood revivals and they are just fantastic - love to go to LM but just dont see how we could make it.
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 10:52:42 pm »

I agree Ian!!

IIRC, The Classic 2004 was at the end of July. That was close enough to the main race weekend.

Perhaps they'll open up Maison Blanche for the month next year and then you can stay for Pre Quals, the main race, and The Classic, without having to move on!!!!!!!  Shocked
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 12:34:46 am »

The gyppos stay on Parking Blue for the rest of the year anyway don't they? So you could just move across the road for 11 months!
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 09:34:59 am »

I agree Ian!!

IIRC, The Classic 2004 was at the end of July. That was close enough to the main race weekend.

Perhaps they'll open up Maison Blanche for the month next year and then you can stay for Pre Quals, the main race, and The Classic, without having to move on!!!!!!!  Shocked
Heaven Tongue but I could'nt afford the divorce!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 09:35:46 am by IRW » Logged
Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:14:11 pm »

The dates a bit tricky, but it is such a good event that we are already thinking on how to fit it in, getting the kids looked after will be the major problem as we would not want to take them again till 2008. Worst case scenario might have to be the Friday night out, Sunday night back Shocked
Oh well plenty of time to think about logistics.
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 02:34:26 pm »

Or you could just sit in your garden and play this. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60814&item=6511820321&rd=1

The sounds of the 60's

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 04:30:11 pm »

The dates a bit tricky, but it is such a good event that we are already thinking on how to fit it in, getting the kids looked after will be the major problem ...

Does that mean there won't be any Thomas the Tank Engine books Barry  Cry

Steve East Anglian cobras

Barry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Kick out the jams, motherf*ckers!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 08:23:23 pm »

The dates a bit tricky, but it is such a good event that we are already thinking on how to fit it in, getting the kids looked after will be the major problem ...

Does that mean there won't be any Thomas the Tank Engine books Barry  Cry

We can bring some down with us if you want  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: