Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 08:53:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 70th birthday........  (Read 28681 times)
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2006, 10:28:03 am »

.....Now we have Typhoon 2 to fight against our chums the Soviets.  Where's the sense.

Over budget, seriously delayed, suspect flight controls, built to fight what enemy, still not in service.

But a nice looking aircraft  Roll Eyes

Steve East Anglian cobras

Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2006, 11:50:34 am »

That the TSR.2 was all-British (bar some electronics) and the Tornado required the cooperation of three countries also says a great deal about just how good the British aircraft industry was.
That goes for an awful lot of industries not only the aircraft industry !!
Rusty

The Brethren Rock
Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2006, 01:18:18 pm »

.....Now we have Typhoon 2 to fight against our chums the Soviets.  Where's the sense.

Over budget, seriously delayed, suspect flight controls, built to fight what enemy, still not in service.

But a nice looking aircraft  Roll Eyes

Steve,
I think that you will find that it is in service, the RAF are already flying them. The pilots love it and i haven't heard anything about suspect flying contols either.

I work at BAe Warton where we build it by the way. For several years through Case white, the RAF operated out of 4 and 5 hangers but that is now over and they are now operating out of their own bases.

Correct about over delayed and over budget though !
Snoring Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2006, 09:35:34 pm »

Ok, lets not forget this lovely beastie that we can thank the labour government for scrapping before it could go into service. Just so they could jump into bed with the USA. The bastards ! Angry

The BAC TSR2

Chris do you remember this ?  TSR2 cancelled, F111K ordered and cancelled, F4K/M ordered for RAF and FAA plus additional Buccaneers.  Jaguar developed. Mountbatten spoke against the TSR2 to the Aussies hoping they would buy Buccaneers, they ordered F111C & G's instead. 

As it turned out, the Tornado became more or less what the TSR.2 was to have been. That it was still slightly less capable than the TSR.2 had been projected to be a full fifteen years earlier says a great deal about how far advanced the TSR.2 project really was. That the TSR.2 was all-British (bar some electronics) and the Tornado required the cooperation of three countries also says a great deal about just how good the British aircraft industry was.

Don Knight TSR2 test pilot said: "It was simply amazing. It flew just like a big Lightning - only faster!

Now we have Typhoon 2 to fight against our chums the Soviets.  Where's the sense.

The RAF wrote a piece some years ago about TSR2 in service, must find it and put on the forum, made interesting reading.
The TSR2's were built at Weybridge (Brooklands), one is in The Cosford museum, Telford (well worth dropping in and its free) and one at Duxford, a few decades ahead of its time, this link describes its sad demise.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/baugher_other/tsr2.html
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2006, 11:11:35 pm »

Ian the Duxford aircraft has just been rolled out after an extensive refurbishment. For Duxford's new AirSpace exhibition hall, charting the highs of the British aircraft industry over the last century.

Could be a mid-year club arnage outing?

Peter
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2006, 12:03:45 am »

>>Could be a mid-year club arnage outing?<<

Put me down for that one.

I often marvel at Cosford's TSR2, beautiful aircraft. Have to say that their Vulcan was looking in need of tender loving care last time I saw it. Couple of years ago.

On a nicer note, when I visisted Kemble last year they had a Brittania outside the Bristol Museum that looked absolutely pristine. From the edge of the museum! But when I drove past it to visit the Hunter workshops area the other side was unpainted, but was obviously a "work in progress" At least everything we built hasn't gone without trace.

The Bristol Museum has some wonderful kit inside, A Harrier airframe with PCB, Belvedere and Sycamore 'copters and the last remaining Bristol Brigand fuselage as rescued from a scrapyard. Really sad.

Sad

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Fax
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2006, 06:55:55 pm »

As promised...Glacier Girl.
Fax

* GlacierGirl.jpg (42.89 KB, 422x284 - viewed 286 times.)
Fax
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2006, 06:57:11 pm »

From the same show, The USAF Thunderbirds and the US Navy Blue Angels strut their stuff.
Fax

* T-Birds.jpg (13.02 KB, 422x287 - viewed 277 times.)

* Angels.jpg (16.87 KB, 427x288 - viewed 271 times.)
Fax
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2006, 06:58:26 pm »

Now for something completely homely.
Nighthawk and the Guppy.
Fax

* Nighthawk.jpg (46.69 KB, 421x282 - viewed 198 times.)

* Guppy.jpg (37.31 KB, 422x287 - viewed 276 times.)
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2006, 08:14:37 pm »

I often marvel at Cosford's TSR2, beautiful aircraft. Have to say that their Vulcan was looking in need of tender loving care last time I saw it. Couple of years ago.

On a nicer note, when I visisted Kemble last year they had a Brittania outside the Bristol Museum that looked absolutely pristine. From the edge of the museum! But when I drove past it to visit the Hunter workshops area the other side was unpainted, but was obviously a "work in progress" At least everything we built hasn't gone without trace.

The Bristol Museum has some wonderful kit inside, A Harrier airframe with PCB, Belvedere and Sycamore 'copters and the last remaining Bristol Brigand fuselage as rescued from a scrapyard. Really sad.

Sad

Bill, lot of changes afoot at Kemble, the tenure of the Whispering Giant is in doubt and the two airframes are being moved to new hanger space this year.  I quite like visiting Duxford, mainly to see the airframe renovation progress.

Shall think of same dates for a visit.  Peter

Chris24
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2006, 10:08:29 pm »

Now that is one serious "Chrome Dome " Grin
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2006, 10:31:10 pm »

What about the Mosquito...

The Mks II, III ands IV could fly at 380 mph - 19 mph faster than the Battle of Britain Spitfire and 50 mph faster than the Hawker Hurricane.

Martini...

* mosquito.jpg (13.29 KB, 480x257 - viewed 265 times.)

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2006, 10:49:24 pm »

Sad

Bill, lot of changes afoot at Kemble, the tenure of the Whispering Giant is in doubt and the two airframes are being moved to new hanger space this year.  I quite like visiting Duxford, mainly to see the airframe renovation progress.

Shall think of same dates for a visit.  Peter

Yes they told me about the museum moving when Gwyn and I visited. They thought there would be another hangar they could use though, is this now in doubt?

Outside the Museum hangar they seem to have enough Brit bitz to build a couple more...

Just as we drove away we were lucky enough to watch one of the Hunters being refurbished taking off for an evening test flight, superb!

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2006, 11:13:13 pm »

The Mks II, III ands IV could fly at 380 mph - 19 mph faster than the Battle of Britain Spitfire and 50 mph faster than the Hawker Hurricane.

Martini...
yes the Mossie was attractive The Hornet a decendent and hence my nomination, beautiful lines, graceful and very fast.  Sadly none survive, parts thats all.  A real shame.  I'm almost positive it was the fastest prop driven aircraft in serice 485 MPH.
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2006, 11:18:31 am »

Martini...
yes the Mossie was attractive The Hornet a decendent and hence my nomination, beautiful lines, graceful and very fast.  Sadly none survive, parts thats all.  A real shame.  I'm almost positive it was the fastest prop driven aircraft in serice 485 MPH.

Was the Mosquito wood-framed or am I thinking of something else?

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: