Club Arnage
April 27, 2024, 04:57:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 70th birthday........  (Read 28668 times)
BigH
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

They've lumps of it round the back.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2006, 11:23:11 am »

Was the Mosquito wood-framed or am I thinking of something else?

Yes, I believe you're thinking of Uncle Albert.
H

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves...
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2006, 11:32:18 am »

What about the Mosquito...

The Mks II, III ands IV could fly at 380 mph - 19 mph faster than the Battle of Britain Spitfire and 50 mph faster than the Hawker Hurricane.

Martini...
yes the Mossie was attractive The Hornet a decendent and hence my nomination, beautiful lines, graceful and very fast.  Sadly none survive, parts thats all.  A real shame.  I'm almost positive it was the fastest prop driven aircraft in service 485 MPH.

Yes quite right.  The aircraft was a private venture by DH.  As the Air Ministry hadn't commissioned it DH were unable to secure metal for the construction, It is known as the Wooden Wonder.  In essence everything is timber except for the engines and bits of the cockpit and control linkages.  A special glue was developed to laminate the aircraft together.  The fuselage was built in two halves split along the vertical centre line and attached together once the inside had been fitted out.  The prototype is still alive and well. http://www.mossie.org/W4050.htm

DH carried over this technique to most of its aircraft from then on including the early jets like the venom and vampire, just think of that!
Fax
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2006, 04:11:14 pm »

A few last ones from the Dayton Air Show.
One for Phil, The Royal Canadian Snowbirds.
Air superiority fifty years apart, F-15 Eagle with Mustangs (sporting their D-Day stripes).

* Snowbirds.jpg (31.88 KB, 504x332 - viewed 290 times.)

* Eagle_Mustangs.jpg (11.73 KB, 366x284 - viewed 323 times.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 04:14:05 pm by Fax » Logged
Fax
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2006, 04:12:53 pm »

And finally, some dumb-ass Grin looking into the bad news end of a A-10.
Fax

* Me_A10.jpg (41.7 KB, 342x284 - viewed 346 times.)
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2006, 04:14:59 pm »

And finally, some dumb-ass Grin looking into the bad news end of a A-10.
Fax

What exactly did you expect to see up there John??  Roll Eyes  Grin
Fax
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2006, 04:18:52 pm »

Was checking out the amazing rifling of the barrels (about .125 deep!) but clearly the woman looking back is suspicious.
Fax
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2006, 04:43:33 pm »

What about the Mosquito...

The Mks II, III ands IV could fly at 380 mph - 19 mph faster than the Battle of Britain Spitfire and 50 mph faster than the Hawker Hurricane.

Martini...
yes the Mossie was attractive The Hornet a decendent and hence my nomination, beautiful lines, graceful and very fast.  Sadly none survive, parts thats all.  A real shame.  I'm almost positive it was the fastest prop driven aircraft in serice 485 MPH.

Maybe another form of wooden framed transport??  Grin

Rhino
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Team Booze'n'tabs

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2006, 09:56:25 pm »

I must say i think the Mosquito is one of the best looking aircraft. Pretty capable to. Could fly to Berlin and drop a 5000lb cookie. As it flew so high and fast virtually nothing could touch it.
The wooden construction could prove a problem, my father in law remembered a delivery flight coming into Changhi Singapore, within 2 days they had warped, all they could do was strip them of anything useful and burn the rest!

Never argue with an idiot, they'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2006, 12:23:42 pm »

If I remember it right it didn't take de Havilland long to come up with new adhesives that prevented a recurrence of that sad state either. I think they were early users of epoxy glues after that happened.

I know that Vamps and Venoms didn't have it happen to them in the jungles.

Hornet, beautiful. Never had a good accurate kit of it either. Frog made one that managed to make it a really stunted shape, a real shame.

(Still, made me a few bob when I sold my last one on e*ay) Wink

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2006, 12:35:27 pm »

I must say i think the Mosquito is one of the best looking aircraft. Pretty capable to. Could fly to Berlin and drop a 5000lb cookie. As it flew so high and fast virtually nothing could touch it.

My favourite was the anti-shipping version - fitted with a 6-pounder gun!   Not only could very little match the Mosquito for speed and height, but being primarily made of wood (except for two lumps of Merlins) the radar signature was minimal, making it even harder to detect and intercept.   Its versatility was incredible, both in terms of roles (fighter, nightfighter, point ground attack, general bomber, pathfinder leader, anti-shipping to name the main ones) and armaments (500lb bombs, 1000lb bombs, 4000lb bomb, incendiaries, target markers, rockets, 6-pounder gun, machine guns and 20mm cannon).   

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2006, 12:52:53 pm »

If I remember it right it didn't take de Havilland long to come up with new adhesives that prevented a recurrence of that sad state either. I think they were early users of epoxy glues after that happened.

I know that Vamps and Venoms didn't have it happen to them in the jungles.

Hornet, beautiful. Never had a good accurate kit of it either. Frog made one that managed to make it a really stunted shape, a real shame.

(Still, made me a few bob when I sold my last one on e*ay) Wink

Bill there are some excellent 72nd and 48th models, check this out

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=CF458

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=CF459
chop456
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

Team YFDS

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2007, 07:23:13 pm »

Possibly of interest to the warbird admirers:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/06/gns_glaciergirl_070619/

After a World War II crash landing in Greenland, 50 years under ice and nearly $7 million in recovery and restoration costs, Glacier Girl is about to complete its mission.

On Friday, the vintage P-38 Lightning fighter will depart from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey to finish what it started in 1942: a trans-Atlantic flight to England. This time, the only surviving relic of “The Lost Squadron” downed by bad weather will have thousands of people tracking its progress on the Internet.

If all goes as scheduled this time, Glacier Girl will arrive June 29 in Duxford, England, where it will be displayed with other classic planes at next month’s Flying Legends Air Show. The plane is one of just three P-38s still in flying condition, Hinton said.

I stole DelBoy's lighter and lived to tell the tale.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2007, 07:43:32 pm »

There was a documentary on Discovery about recovering and rebuilding this P38 a few years ago - very interesting.

They used a steam heated cylinder to melt a shaft down through the ice to where the plane was entombed.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2007, 08:58:54 pm »

Hi Guys,

I've shown my Dad this thread and it nearly brought tears to his eyes.

He used to service the electronics in Huricanes, Spitfires, Mosquitos and after demobbing to private inductry, The Beloved Vulcan.

His favourite was the Mossie.

For my Dads 70th in 1995, I bought him a limited edition picture of Vulcan 607, it's called 'Corporate Prelude' by Phillip West, it was not cheap!

The Christmas just gone I was in Waterstones in Chichester trying to find a book for myself but spied a book by Rowland White - Vulcan 607. Guess what my Dad got for Christmas.  Both the picture and the book commerorate the most remarkable British air attach since WW2, the Stanley attack.

When I was growning up in Welwyn GC in the 50's, my school - Howlands IS had a Spitfire on the playground!! and yes we played on it.  We were right next door to Pangshanger.

Guys,  my favourite and it does bring tears to my eyes because of sheer beauty and that noise is the Spitfire.

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 09:06:23 pm by jjkt15 » Logged

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
Catchpole

Lets Go Racing

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2007, 10:08:50 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:50:30 am by Catchpole » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: