Club Arnage
April 18, 2024, 03:36:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name the Year  (Read 24528 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47:20 am »

Five LM incidents in particular have stuck in my mind over the years, tho the fine details are a bit hazy:-

3.  A car (not a clue what sort) that had a big smash and limped back to the pits, and cos the steering was shot to bits the driver couldnt get it round the corners and was trying to push it round, with marshalls helping, desperate to get it back to his garage, this was being shown on the big screen and everyone was cheering him on from the grandstands and willing it to get back for repairs.   Sadly he just couldnt do it even with thousands encouraging him....  Cry - but a heroic effort just the same.

If that was 2001 it was a Chamberlain Viper. Crashed at the Porsche Curves in the heavy rain. The driver really struggled to get it back to the pits. It ended up in the gravel trap where marshalls and the driver managed to get it back into the pit lane. When the car got to the garage the mechanics took one look at it and withdrew it from the race.
I felt sorry for the driver as he tried his upmost to keep going.

No chamberlin cars in 2001, it was the 'Equipe de France FFSA' 'ORECA' Viper that crashed on the 4th lap and then expired in the pit entrance.

A couple of others also crashed at about the same time in heavy rain, the Pilbeam and Dick Barbour Reynard also went out.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2006, 11:35:37 pm »

5.  Of course the flying Mercs are memorable, goes without saying.  The "winglets"   Roll Eyes - yeah right like they were gonna do the trick.......

It was the loss of one of the 'canards' (extensions to the front splitter) that caused Dumbrek's flight. Same situation with Dalmas's GT1 at Road Atlanta. Those goofy little wings can make a huge difference to the aero package.

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2006, 11:47:19 pm »

Unfortunately in the case of the Mercs - they were flying before they fitted them, and they were still flying after they fitted them!  Huh  Made for some great footage tho, and none of their drivers splattered  Smiley
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 12:04:05 am »

Isn't it more the "Ayrton Senna" effect.  The ground effects work with the car one inch above the tarmac.  Two inches means less suction and zero inches means none at all.  A bouncy or porpoising car becomes lethal.

All together now, one, two, three

Oh Lord won't you buy be a Mecedes Benz, my friends all fly Cessnas..........
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 12:20:14 am by Lorry » Logged

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
rcutler
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 10:53:11 am »

Five LM incidents in particular have stuck in my mind over the years, tho the fine details are a bit hazy:-

3.  A car (not a clue what sort) that had a big smash and limped back to the pits, and cos the steering was shot to bits the driver couldnt get it round the corners and was trying to push it round, with marshalls helping, desperate to get it back to his garage, this was being shown on the big screen and everyone was cheering him on from the grandstands and willing it to get back for repairs.   Sadly he just couldnt do it even with thousands encouraging him....  Cry - but a heroic effort just the same.

If that was 2001 it was a Chamberlain Viper. Crashed at the Porsche Curves in the heavy rain. The driver really struggled to get it back to the pits. It ended up in the gravel trap where marshalls and the driver managed to get it back into the pit lane. When the car got to the garage the mechanics took one look at it and withdrew it from the race.

No chamberlin cars in 2001, it was the 'Equipe de France FFSA' 'ORECA' Viper that crashed on the 4th lap and then expired in the pit entrance.

A couple of others also crashed at about the same time in heavy rain, the Pilbeam and Dick Barbour Reynard also went out.

Yes you are correct I just visualized the car in my mind. It was a fantastic effort by the driver none the less.

Add to the question:-

WHO WAS DRIVING THAT VIPER IN 2001?
Lorry
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I won't join any club that'll have me as a member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2006, 11:24:45 pm »

Ok, who's getting toasted here

GENTLEMEN  -  Start your livers

For and on behalf of the Kent Kronenberg Owners Club
rcutler
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2006, 12:50:36 am »

Ok, who's getting toasted here

A Peugeot Team Member?Huh Grin
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2006, 11:18:25 am »

Yes you are correct I just visualized the car in my mind. It was a fantastic effort by the driver none the less.

Add to the question:-

WHO WAS DRIVING THAT VIPER IN 2001?

David Terrien was the hapless guy who almost made it.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
rdj-pics
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2006, 08:26:54 pm »

There where some Chamberlin cars in 2001, Uncle Hugh ran the MG's that year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: