Club Arnage
April 28, 2024, 10:32:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talk It Up !  (Read 10373 times)
suthvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 12:49:31 am »

I'm in complete agreement with Randy on this, PLEASE tell us any and all. LeMans has been a legendary place for me since I was a child. It was the stuff of legends for me before Ford attacked with the GT40s, and reading about the likes of Dan Gurney, Phil Hill, A.J. Foyt, the Ford GTs and Cobras was a huge part of my introduction and subsequent love affair with sports cars and road racing.  When I wandered into Turn 10 a year ago for Thursday practice I had my "Sebring Moment", and someday I WILL make it to LeMans. (Randy, you will too!)  In the meantime, "more please!!!!". Where do you camp, when do you get there, what's it like the week of the race, any and all details, and lot of pictures too, OK? Do you drive, take a car ferry, how crowded is it, can you see, can you get in the paddock?Huh?
Thanks!
John
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 08:44:23 am »

I don't suppose a grid full of 2CV's (what IS the collective noun for 2CV's??) sounds much like the 25000+ horsepower on the LM grid.

A Scrapheap of 2CV's?Huh??  Grin Grin
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 11:33:15 am »

As one who has been fortunate enough to get to Sebring for the 12 Hours for the last couple of years, and, more importantly, to be welcomed like a long lost son into the wonderful hospitality, camaraderie and friendliness of the guys at Turn 10, I can only reiterate to Randy that, when you finally make it across the pond to these shores, we will all gladly repay the hospitality.

One thing I find typically constant about the 24 Hours - you spend Saturday night on the beer / bbq / whatever and finally get into your sleeping bag.  You eventually wake up the following morning - and the cars are still hammering relentlessly around the track.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Bob U
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

You're either at Le Mans, or waiting for Le Mans!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 11:58:41 am »

Don't know if any of you  others have found this. I always manage to get off to sleep OK, usually due to the vaste quantities of alcohol consumed. No problem with noise from the cars until a safety car incident bunches up the field and the sudden quiet always wakes me up.

Strange?

There is a corner of a foreign field that will be forever England ------ Houx Annexe

And the bastards have built on it.
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:30 pm »

Interesting Bob. 
I used to find that when I was at sea in the merchant navy.  Normal background noise is the main engine / diesel generators / pumps etc.  You get used to this and can sleep without any problems.  However, when the generator blacks out and the whole job stops and everything is deathly quiet - then you wake up  Shocked

Steve East Anglian cobras

DelBoy
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

---TDR---

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 12:36:53 pm »

.... However, when the generator blacks out and the whole job stops and everything is deathly quiet - then you wake up  Shocked

I think that's called 'panic', Steve.

Del

Team Delboy Racing
Rob
CA Veteran

i prefer 'em continental!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 12:49:21 pm »

Interesting Bob. 
I used to find that when I was at sea in the merchant navy.  Normal background noise is the main engine / diesel generators / pumps etc.  You get used to this and can sleep without any problems.  However, when the generator blacks out and the whole job stops and everything is deathly quiet - then you wake up  Shocked

its the same if you fall asleep with the light or tv on - youll normally sleep fine until someone turns it off...

Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 02:27:14 pm »

fall asleep with the light or tv on - youll normally sleep fine until someone turns it off...

Yeah my dad used to do that all the time, then wake up n say "I was watching that"!!!  Angry
gab
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 06:04:49 pm »

...10 years ago I fulfilled a long time dream and made it to LeMans, had such a great time and met such great people...I have returned every year since.
....2 years ago I fulfilled a long time dream and made it to Sebring. had such a great time and met such great people...I have returned every year since.
.....hope I never have to decide between the two, would be an extremely difficult decision.
neilsie
CA Veteran

KK

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 06:26:42 pm »

In 98 we stayed on the overspill campsite called"Karting North",which we had to pitch the tent in between the piles of earth that had been dumped there. A far cry from today's level tidy site. The toilets were portaloo's and after 1 day were not even fit for humans to use!!!!!.

Wishy

ha, we were in the same field then too!  did you join in the game of cricket which the whole campsite seemed to play?
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 06:35:25 pm »

As one who has been fortunate enough to get to Sebring for the 12 Hours for the last couple of years, and, more importantly, to be welcomed like a long lost son into the wonderful hospitality, camaraderie and friendliness of the guys at Turn 10, I can only reiterate to Randy that, when you finally make it across the pond to these shores, we will all gladly repay the hospitality.

Could not agree more...

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 07:13:55 pm »

Randy I reckon $2 or $3 a day in loose change into the cookie jar sees you at LM next year. Do it!

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
nickliv
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 07:35:44 pm »

Randy

I knew someone who had a 'starbucks and subway' jar. He took a flask of coffee to work and made his own sandwiches, put about £4 a day in the jar, and that jar paid for his holiday each year. Probably still does.

Go fo it (And I've not even been yet!)
Doris
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Eating's Cheating!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2006, 11:34:37 am »

ha, we were in the same field then too!  did you join in the game of cricket which the whole campsite seemed to play?

Now that brings back memories.   Grin

Live imperfectly and with great delight.
vqdave
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

world humbering

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2006, 12:14:55 pm »

and when the cars fired up just before the parade lap,

I think that does it for many people, certainly did with me.

It happens for me as we sit in the LM traffic jam (i get there on Friday) for the campsites and then thundering over the bridge just above you is a Panoz/Vette/Morgan (a noisy one) and you haven't even got out of the car yet. Magical moment.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: