Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 07:39:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eating 'en-route'  (Read 11741 times)
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2006, 12:42:33 am »

Zarsey,
Never thought about it, but you're right. As far as I can recall, the French food I have eaten has been pony, for the most part. And I don't always eat in roadside auberge.

Maybe it's like the UK, if you know where to eat, you can have some fantastic meals.

There's a lot of rubbish places out there (in France and the UK), but I must say, I find it easier to find very good food in the UK.

French cuisine; the best in the world? Rubbish. You don't see many French chefs on "Ready, Steady, Cook" do you?

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 12:44:10 am »

there are some strong feelings there I think!!!,I now refuse to eat out in the uk (appart from some indian resto's) because most offer home cooked food which turns out to be "potted tasteless muck out the freezer" which by the time its been neucked in the micro then shoved under the grill for a couple of mins is totally ruined, oh and then when you finally get your food its cold!!!,I prefer to cook for myself that way I know what I'm getting, am I wrong?  Huh

been there done that doing it again !
Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 12:53:00 am »

Alibongo,
as I said, I think there is a lot of rubbish around. You have to know where to go.

I know Fax won't like this Wink, because this is a motorsport forum, but what about a thread about eating/drinking recommendations?

alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2006, 01:05:50 am »

I know what your saying dude its just we have been disapointed so so many times eating in the uk that we just dont bother any more, I used to drive a truck round france and I have had some trully fantastic food and some of the best was in little workers resto's cooked and served by madam !! and cheap too, I will never forget when I got weekended in the Colmar region and the locals were having a festival du cochon (poor old piggys) and I was invited to dine with the villagers phew I was totally stuffed!!!!! oh and that bacon and sausagesand sauercraut.........sorry just drooled over my key board !!!!!!

Nobby Diesel
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Demi God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 01:08:20 am »

Ok, Ok. I'll get a job as a trans Euro trucker, and wait to be converted!

Bon Scoff, everyone.

alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 01:12:13 am »

Sorry Grin Grin Grin

Andy Zarse
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2006, 11:42:14 am »

Termie, you've really hit on something here. As far a waiting staff go, I treat everyone the same regardless of which country they are from or indeed which country I am in. When I tip I always pay it cash, I never pay the service charge on the bill as this is so often used by unscrupulous proprietors to subsidise minumum wage rates and is a disgrace. Waiting staff deserve nothing but respect. I know, I did it myself once. So I always try to be polite, diffident even, I smile and even try to talk the lingo.

Having said that, you must be the only person in the world who's never had a French waiter who is either rude or treats you as an unreconstructed philistine because you are English. Maybe your being fluent in French helps here but it's not my experience.

The last meal I had in France is a case in point, in Deauville last year. The waiter forgot the whole main course of our 5 course "price compris". When I very quietly pointed out that it was usual to eat pudding after the main, he became incandescent. Puce in the face with anger, he went into a screaming paddy fit, flecks of spittle landing on the table. I understand enough French to know that he was railing against the English and what he was saying really wasn't terribly complimentary. The restaurant owner was charm personified by the way and had us eating out of his hand in no time, the complementary Calvados helped no end.

I have to say, being called a xenophobe by a Francophile is the equivalent of being accused of racism by Hitler. I have friends in and from all around the world. Most of my family live abroad, yes including in France, and it is one of the delights of life to enjoy other cultures and their wonderful people regardless of race or skin colour. You only have to read my recent comments on India to understand that and as such I'm really a bit miffed by your unfounded comment. The French on the other hand are to my mind the exact opposite and this is the reason they have riots; they cannot assimilate with other cultures. The British are forty years ahead of them on this score. The French have to be the most closed-minded people in Europe. They never try anything new or "foreign" and the "sans culottes" have an inbred belief that French and France is always best. Well let me tell you it isn't. The rest of the world, believe it or not, does actually have something else to offer.

I note that you have not even begun to address my valid on the moribund state of French cuisine. So maybe we can continue this debate over a glass of vin rouge, or heaven forbid, a pint of foaming English ale.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 11:47:45 am by A Zarse esq » Logged

I wouldn't sit there if I were you, it's still a bit wet.
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2006, 12:47:49 pm »

Hey there zarsey you have some very good points there, one thing about the french is that they do tend to lookafter france and the french first unlike the uk where it is a free for all and the "locals" suffer at the expence of the E.U I think we can thank our wonderful tony blair and his mates for that!! (and all the past govs)

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2006, 08:37:50 pm »

So maybe we can continue this debate over a glass of vin rouge, or heaven forbid, a pint of foaming English ale.  Wink
Did somebody mention proper beer?  Now that I miss!  Didn't mean to offend anybody but I hear so much brown stuff talked about the French as a race when, like everybody else, there are good and bad that I get very wound up by the subject!

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2006, 07:56:40 pm »

Got to eat humble pie, things have obviously been changing as far as resto's are concerned, we booked a table at a restaurant in Arnage for sat nite 18 of us, what a load of crap!!! would have been better going to mac donalds !!! all that was on the menu was omlet n chips, sausage n chips, griiled ham n chips or salad and it was all crap ,(if I had been on my own I would have left) we toasted the establishment as the worst restaurant in France!!!!!!!!! Angry if you want to know which one it was, comming from the roundabout on the main street it was the last one on the left going out of town .......tip for next year... buy a bag of crisps.... far cheaper and just as filling Angry Undecided Cry

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: