Club Arnage
March 28, 2024, 08:19:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: firework displays  (Read 17773 times)
24hourman
CA Veteran

Racing is life everything else is just waiting

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2006, 07:33:24 pm »

There have been fireworks at Le Mans since the first race in 1923 (Although officially organised) Are the huge campsite displays great fun or a disaster waiting to happen?

Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 09:01:14 pm »

Well If Brick is reading he has a photo of the injury I sustained from a Rocket that returned to Earth via my left shoulder.
The people camping next to us had a firework Malfunction where the hot bit that goes skyward  then explodes came out sideways in to our eating area.   I also think that there was a Firework malfunction in the Display at DfH.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
Robspot
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 10:44:06 pm »

The campsite displays ARE great fun but it does raise the question "what if your display injures someone and they decide to sue you?"

I can't see any insurance company granting Public Liability Insurance to a bunch of pissed blokes (even the extremely sensible Brethren  Wink )

I always stay too long. Long enough for something to go wrong
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 10:59:54 pm »

There was a little incident with fireworks in our campsite, however they were from our neighbours, probably the same as lawnmover man had, they fired a morter or something that came into our campsite and exploded on the ground, but nearly injured someone in JPC's team.

We ran over to chop the guys head off, but it wasn't on purpose as we thought it might have been and the guy apologized numerous times, so we drank some more beer and forgot about it.

rusty was extremely sensible and carefull with his setup, did not see anything go wrong during the display. Fire extinguisher was near all the time during the display.

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 01:35:27 am »

Unfortunately there is allways scope for a malfunction with fireworks, even proper display teams have their share of hick-ups, I saw a big mortar shell go into the crowd at a display, not nice......those things pack a punch and generate a serious amount of heat.....just treat them with the respect they deserve or it will end in tears !!!

been there done that doing it again !
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 01:48:08 am »

All of our ordnance went skywards that is why I use large mortars, no fallout other than shell cases. I had one spotter to make sure everything left the ground. Everything else was electronically fired.

Most damage is caused by smaller pyro, in particular small rockets and hummers.

The only lesson here is to buy large.

Rusty

The Brethren Rock
jpchenet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 01:54:33 am »

All of our ordnance went skywards that is why I use large mortars, no fallout other than shell cases. I had one spotter to make sure everything left the ground. Everything else was electronically fired.

Most damage is caused by smaller pyro, in particular small rockets and hummers.

The only lesson here is to buy large.

Rusty

So.........next year.......even bigger!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 02:04:33 am »

Yep, that's the way to go dude.
You need a pyro licence in the UK for K4. I've been firing that sh**t for 20 years.

Friday night was a very very small nugget. If you want large then chuck in the bucks man and I'll blow everyone away, bar non. Those muckers were only 75mm, Brezac supply 100mm, yahoo !!!!

Oh, and safely too ( me excluded of course but you do need to be that close to get the full effect ).

Rustyola

Grin
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 02:09:12 am by The Brethren » Logged

The Brethren Rock
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 02:30:26 am »

I saw a big mortar shell go into the crowd at a display, not nice......those things pack a punch and generate a serious amount of heat.....just treat them with the respect they deserve or it will end in tears !!!

That would have been caused by not loading the shell properly or using a small shell in a large mortar tube, equally disastrous.

The Brethren Rock
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 02:35:28 am »

after seeing the Brethren busy with the fireworks at our pitch on Friday, I wouldn't trust myself anymore with even a fire cracker. These guys know what they're doing! Cool

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Gordonwr
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 08:31:19 am »

I have a scar on my head as a result of some fallout from the MB display, but I'm not complaining it was a brilliant show. Well done to all, bigger next year then?

Always go into a corner too fast, in case it turns out to be a quick one!
Fran
The Wise One
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

I'm a CA Goddess!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2006, 08:42:02 am »

Hmm - I dont really remember seeing many fireworks on friday - seemed less than usual.  Undecided
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2006, 10:40:24 am »

I didn't see the prep work for the Bretheren Display.  But I do know from talk at the time and obviously some posts here that much care was exercised in putting on the display.   

To me, it makes perfect sense to go bigger and better.   I'm sure a firework is much safer going off at 200ft than at 20ft.

What bothers me is the people that just go out and buy the Biggest Cheapest fireworks they can.  Then let them off on in a crowded campsite after they have loaded themselves up with copious amounts of booze. 

With regards to the firework that got in to the DfH bar.    I don't know what display it was from, I wrongly assumed it was one of the fireworks in the DfH/Bretheren display.   Please accept my appologies.

t.

termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2006, 10:53:24 am »

Thought the firework display on MB was fab.  Well executed and seemed pretty expertly done to me.  I was very relieved when my mate realised he had left his rockets behind in the UK as, yeah, amateur night with these things is just plain scarey, especially with all those tents about.  Bretheren, you can have the contract for official firework display in my book.  As for some of the less-practiced in this art - please leave them at home.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 10:58:58 am »

Unfortunately there is allways scope for a malfunction with fireworks, even proper display teams have their share of hick-ups,

Yes they do.   I don't know what the regulation distance is for the crowd to be positioned at an organised display is.
But I'll wager it's in the order of hundereds of yards.   Even with all of the precautions things can still go wrong.

The firework that malfunctioned next to us wasn't even 100 inches away.

I'm afriad having been on the wrong end of two fireworks in and wittnessing a third incident.  I really am anti impromptu firework displays. 

t.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: