Club Arnage
April 18, 2024, 10:19:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who, What, Where, When?  (Read 13804 times)
Fax
« on: July 06, 2006, 07:31:38 pm »

Car, Driver, Location, Year?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 07:39:01 pm by Fax » Logged
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:02:55 pm »

I wouldn't pretend to have any idea but spectator safety certainly wasn't high on the agenda was it!!
Fax
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 08:17:27 pm »

Its actually not as old as you would think Wink
Some of our French colleagues would know the venue.
KPY?, Gilles?
Fax
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 08:23:45 pm »

At a guess, it is a Ferrari 330 P3, driven by Mike Parkes, at Spa for the 1966 1000kms?  am i even close Wink  BTW they won.

Fax
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 08:31:42 pm »

Hi Spider,
Your pretty close with the car, but this a little stumper,
the name on the door (which you can't really read) is British, but the driver?
I liked this pic because it includes one of my favorite cars and favorite drivers.  Got some British connections going on here too.
Fax
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 08:45:14 pm »

mmmmmmmh, it has Piper on the front, but, David Pipers always run in green, so maybe it isn't one of his.
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2006, 11:23:38 pm »

It's deffo a P4 - dunno who it is - it's not Goodwood is it?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2006, 11:33:14 pm »

It's deffo a P4 - dunno who it is - it's not Goodwood is it?

No not Goodwood, how do you tell the difference between the P3/P4, wasn't it all internal ?
Fax
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 04:36:23 am »

Okay, since there's no more takers.  David Piper 1967 Ferrari P4 (yep, a Piper Ferrari in red) driven by Ferrari F1 driver and 1978 Le Mans winner, Didier Pironi. The venue is the Monthlery circuit April 18, 1982. The event is the AGACI 300 for vintage & historic sports racers.  Pironi qualified on pole ahead of Dickie Attwood's Porsche 917 and pulled out a eight second lead after seven laps of the race before the car began to show smoke and the engine began to sound rough. The young Frenchman wisely decided to shut her down rather than risk a VERY expensive engine failure. Attwood won ahead of Mike & Richard Knight in Lola T70's and Ford GT-40. David Piper was driving his Ferrari 275 LM.
Fax
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:44:02 am by Fax » Logged
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:33:05 am »

Ah, here is the rub, is it a P4, or is it the hybrid P3/P4.  Do you know if Ferrari ever looked at the car and actually agreed on the history of this vehicle, Fax ?

http://www.ferrariownersclub.co.uk/happenings/2005/january/p3_4_0846/text.asp

very interesting, lets have another one.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 09:37:25 am by Ferrari Spider » Logged
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 01:34:26 pm »

Piper still has his original 330 I think now repainted green, this is the car in Fax's picture I think.

The car refered too in the link is a car Piper is reputed to have made up from bits lying around his barns and then sold onto a guy in the States. Piper has made a few cars in this way, most have at least one original part in them and therefore can be sold with at least some history.

I doubt we will ever know if the Glickenhaus 330 is in fact a complete original or a bitsa. Piper and Ferrari must know but neither has fully confirmed or denied the claims.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 01:43:00 pm »

Thanks for this, happens a lot with historic cars and aircraft.  What actually constitutes the original?  Especially if it has been in an accident and the bits are owned by several new owners and they all rebuild the car!
Fax
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 01:51:58 pm »

Morning Guys,
I'm pretty certain that that the P4 Didier drove was an original factory car.  The other one? We may never know for sure.
As you say, the subject of what constitutes an original in vintage & historic racing is always controversial.  The one I remember causing a big stink was the Lancia D50 that was built up a few years ago around a original engine and drivetrain.  The purists screamed foul, but it was a lovely sight since none of the original cars exit.
Fax
Ferrari Spider
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 01:56:26 pm »

Its an interesting topic Fax, just looking through David Pipers history, seems we were born in the same town!  fame at last.

Some of the "replica" Ferrari's are all original and genuine bits but not actually constructed as a 500 or 250 GTO etc. 
Fax
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 02:03:33 pm »

Hi Spider,
Yes, Ferrari's in particular can be a chassis historian's nightmare because the old fella wasn't terribly nostalgic when it came to yesterday's cars, especially the F1 machines.  Once they'd served their purpose they were usually scrapped, the bits they thought they could use later saved, and the rest destroyed.  Hence the reaon no 156 Dino's survive (Chris Rea did a nice replica of one some years ago, but a friend of mine who is a devoted 156 expert loves to point out all the flaws in it Grin)
Or the cars would be torn down & rebuilt using the same chassis number but as a basically all new car.
Fax
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: