Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 11:28:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Audi Offer Schumacher Le Mans Drive  (Read 19878 times)
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2006, 05:47:36 pm »

yup.. will do.. but at the greatest race in the world.. le mans!! Wink

I am one of those fortunate enough to able able to say 'yes - at the greatest race'.  He was sensational in the Junior Mercedes team...
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2006, 06:00:33 pm »

Yep saw him race at Le Mans in the C11, he was pretty handy setting the fastest lap and being the first and only merc to finish. I also saw him at Silverstone in 91 where he came home 2nd in the Mercedes-Benz C291.

My dad also reminds me that the first time we saw him race was at the Brands Hatch Formula Ford Festivial some time in the 80's.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Matt Harper
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2006, 10:11:54 pm »

I am one of those fortunate enough to able able to say 'yes - at the greatest race'.  He was sensational in the Junior Mercedes team...

Didn't he stuff the car into the guard rail under the Dunlop bridge, during the race - or did I just dream that?

If it\'s good and fast, it won\'t be cheap. If it\'s fast and cheap, it won\'t be good. If it\'s good and cheap, it won\'t be fast.
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2006, 12:36:08 am »

At last the only stuffing the sausagemunching gruppenfurher will be doing now will be with bratwusrt and sauerkraut unless he's chomping on Bernie withered chipolata. 
He 's a complete cheating c**t.

laugh

The Brethren Rock
Perdu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

llama's in the basement mixing up the medicine

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2006, 12:50:39 am »

Rusty, I'm sure I detected a slightly negative vibe there man. Grin Grin Grin

Not that the bagacrud doesn't deserve some.

Still I wish I was even slightly as good at smashing other people outadawayyyy!

I really do not want to pay to watch him at LM next year, what a turn off!

Sad

bill

"Ha ha you can't a fool me, there ain't a no sanity clause!"
Boorish Grobian
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2006, 03:08:52 am »

When I went to the USGP this year, one of my mates I was with was so giddy afterwards, said he always wanted to be able to say he saw Michael Schumacher win a GP in the flesh.  I had to bite my tongue a bit and say I was happy for him.  Honestly, I'm thrilled to be able to say I saw guys like Alain Prost, Jackie Stewart, Gilles Villeneuve, Ronnie Peterson, Niki Lauda, Emerson Fittipaldi, etc. race in person.
Having seen Senna race still means nothing to me and I suspect I'll always feel the same Schumacher.  Just can't anything about them to make me feel warm & fuzzy.  As I said before, winning a boatload of races and titles means nothing to me, its all about the way they were won.
Fax
monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2006, 03:07:19 pm »

I think I am in agreement with some others on this thread. It never fails to amaze me that 60 thousand plus spectators will travel from the UK alone to Le Mans every June un yet the media give it scant coverage at best. Even in 1988 when the Jags were up for it the BBC couldn't be bothered to show any of the race even though they had announced that they intended to do so. And for years any newspaper coverage has been either none existent or cr+p. I will (God willing) be going next June whether Mr Cobbler bothers to turn up or not. If he does, I expect that his appearance would galvanise the UK media at least to commit a few column inches to the world’s greatest motor race - which surely is not a bad thing. Cheesy
bird
CA Veteran

neeeeeeeow!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2006, 03:12:02 pm »

* bird does a little wee

I'm there in a heartbeat.

You oldies don't know a good driver when you see one

Tongue  Grin

A ferrari can't run on glue
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2006, 04:22:27 pm »

* bird does a little wee

Tongue  Grin

Eh?  Are you suggesting that us oldies do not recgnise Herr S to be a good driver?  Not me!

Genius, some say, is only bestowed on the flawed.  Hhhhmmm maybe, maybe not, but it does seem that most are flawed.  I can recognise him as a driving genius (base on his innate driving ability - surely even Fax must agree that the German one can handle a racing car rather better than most  Grin), at the same time as recognising and accepting the undoubted flaws in his character.

We could argue until the cows come home about who is/is not a genius in their chosen fields but I bet the majority of those named will have some fairly serious character flaw somewhere (John Lennon - genius, George Best - Genius, Picasso - Genius, Margret Thatcher - just flawed!)

monkey
CA Veteran

monkey

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2006, 04:41:16 pm »

We could argue until the cows come home about who is/is not a genius in their chosen fields but I bet the majority of those named will have some fairly serious character flaw somewhere (John Lennon - genius, George Best - Genius, Picasso - Genius, Margret Thatcher - just flawed!)

I struggle with this I'm afraid and I tend to get a bit grumpy on this type of subject. I don't think he is even close to 'Genius' he is/was a racing driver and that is it. Sure he was better at it than most his contemporaries and better too than many before him but that was about the long and the short of it. Give the same set of circumstances to someone else with a similar background, similar drive, similar parental ambitions and you would get pretty much the same thing again......... sorry he’s a bloke that can drive quick, that is it. Wink
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2006, 04:51:23 pm »

* bird does a little wee

Tongue  Grin
No.  It's just that we're old enough to have seen some truly great drivers.   You're just jealous.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
oldtimer
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2006, 05:14:12 pm »

I tend to get a bit grumpy on this type of subject. I don't think he is even close to 'Genius' he is/was a racing driver and that is it.

Hence the inclusion of the words 'chosen field' to try and avoid such grumpiness and endless arguments  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: