Club Arnage
April 29, 2024, 08:53:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: traveling to LeMans 07 from western Canada  (Read 27115 times)
Canada Phil
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

The Moose

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 05:16:26 am »

Hi Trevor,
              You know you are IN when they start taking the Piss Shocked Lille is faster and purely functional. Termie is right if you go via Paris you have to cross the city..and a wonderful city it is too. For no extra charge you get to spend a few hours in Paris.
Take lots of Film it's cheaper here in Canada.
Phil
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2007, 01:29:07 am »

What is your travelling schedule, Trevor??

I will have space in my car for 1 - if the timings are right, could get you all the way to LM and back again to the UK without the need for further public transport.  You wouldn't need a camping ticket either.

Del

Sorry for the slooooooooooooooow replies...  been a hectic two weeks and just catching up again...    whew...  such slowness just shouldn't be tolerated  !! 

Thanks for the offer, but there will be two of us traveling to LM (my adult son & I)..   Smiley
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2007, 01:53:11 am »

Hi Trevor, we are one short for this year so will have room if you want to come and pitch a tent with us on Maison Blanche.  I have got a spare tent but space in the car being what it is if Termietermite can sort you out with something that would be easier.   I'm sure there will be others who have some space as well.  We'll be there from Monday to Monday. 

My OH KeithK is a photographer and is happy to chat to you about film etc., he's planning to shoot more on film again this year.

I'll drop you a pm as well. 

Sounds good to me...  I'll pass it by Sean (my adult son who's decided he wants to come along) to make sure.  We can bring camping gear also, although I suspect probably not a stove (backpacker style) due to the paranoia of the security bozo's at airports.

I was VERY disappointed to hear that the Porsche RS Spyders will not be at LM.  One of the compelling reasons to go this year was (despite they being in different classes) was Audi, Pug and Porsche prototypes all racing...   Especially as it is the 75th anniversary race and given Porsche's heritage with the big race you'd think they'd be there....   Steve McQueen must be crying from heaven ... LOL
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

I'm already here. Where the fluck are you lot?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2007, 10:18:40 am »

Hi again Trevor
Just a little word of warning - the railway station is a complete mess at present because of tramway works just in front of it.  Keep an eye on the site and the guide as the race approaches and we'll keep you updated as to what the arrangements will be for catching the bus to the circuit.  One of my tents is earmarked for you and will be with Piglet in time for your arrival.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2007, 06:45:57 pm »

Hi Trevor

Glad to see you've roped your son in.   We have space for Termie's tent.  Work out nearer the time what you can take and what you can't.  We've got a couple of spare sleeping mats and they take up very little room in the car so we could take those.   There is lots of kit floating around you just need to say what you need.   Don't worry about bringing stoves, plates etc., we take a full kitchen set up and you can make use of our gear (Keith cooks with unleaded fuel though so those of a nervous disposition might want to be a bit careful!)

4 months to go by my fingers  Grin
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2007, 07:20:55 pm »

Oh, and do you want pillows or are you hardy types?

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy buggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2007, 10:26:23 pm »

Oh, and do you want pillows or are you hardy types?
We're pretty hardy...   camping in the Rockies does that to you !   Besides Sean is young enough that he has probably slept on the floor after too many wobbly pops in the past !  lol

I'm booking airline tickets tomorrow (wednesday)...  This evening I'll try and get online and surf for schedules and info on trains from london to lille to lemans. 

Trevor
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 07:17:17 pm »

Update: 

1)  tickets from Canada to London purchased !   Hooray !!!!!   Grin

2)  trying to figure out the SNCF website, there are several Lille's and several LeMans listed.  Which ones do I want to use ??  Question:  is it TGV service from Lille to LeMans ?

3)  we are going to Fly from Nantes to Dublin on the Monday following (visit some cousins in Ireland that I haven't seen in 10+ years).  The Dummies Guide from last year indicates that there is train service, same question as above, which "stations" do I want to pick ?? 

4)  as we are on Red-Eye from Calgary to Heathrow, we are going to try and get a hotel somewhere convienent to Heathrow--Vic Station to crash a grab some sleep on the Sunday    Suggestions  Huh 

As Always... THANKS for all the Help and Suggestions !!  This is going to be a great trip !!!!!!!!!!

Trevor

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 10:52:55 pm »

Hi Trevor, glad to see it's all coming together.

I can't help with the transport details, my car knows its own way to Le Mans from the Ferry at Dover!

Not much help now if you've booked your tickets but we are running DTM (German Touring Cars = very loud) at Brands Hatch the weekend before LM - they were fab last year!!

We'll be off to LM on the Sunday afternoon/evening from Brands but we'd struggle to get two of you and bags into the car.  We will be at LM from Monday though, you might want to do a couple of days in London before you get to LM perhaps? 
Lawnmower Man
Homme de Tondeuse! 42%
Administrator
Club Arnage God

I'd rather have another Tropillama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2007, 12:35:39 am »

Hi TrevorC,

I'm most likely going from Reading (40 miles West of London) Tuesday earley evening arriving in Le Mans in the early hours of Wednesday Morning. 

Rather like Delboy I only have one place in the car.  So may be that would be a plan.

t.

La Légend s` écrit sous vos yeux.
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2007, 09:32:25 pm »

Hi Trevor, glad to see it's all coming together.

I can't help with the transport details, my car knows its own way to Le Mans from the Ferry at Dover!

Not much help now if you've booked your tickets but we are running DTM (German Touring Cars = very loud) at Brands Hatch the weekend before LM - they were fab last year!!

We'll be off to LM on the Sunday afternoon/evening from Brands but we'd struggle to get two of you and bags into the car.  We will be at LM from Monday though, you might want to do a couple of days in London before you get to LM perhaps? 

No problem... we are looking forward to the train thing... just need to figure it out...    We will likely be in LM later monday night or tuesday am... depending again on trains !   

I'm starting to excited about this trip !   this is going to be fun   :-)

trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2007, 09:35:18 pm »

Hi TrevorC,

I'm most likely going from Reading (40 miles West of London) Tuesday earley evening arriving in Le Mans in the early hours of Wednesday Morning. 

Rather like Delboy I only have one place in the car.  So may be that would be a plan.

t.

Lawnmover Man.........   thx for the offer!  But will be two of us travelling, and actually the tunnel and train is part of the "adventure" hee hee...    But very much appreciate the offer !!!   :-)
termietermite
Club Arnage Master

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2007, 10:40:41 am »

The SNCF website is well known over here as one of the most cr*p on the planet!  I'll study it a bit and see what I come up with.  Can you give me your proposed dates/times of travel?  It may in the end prove easier to book with Eurostar UK but I'll have a look.
Right.  If you leave Waterloo at 08.39, you arrive in Lille at 11.26 (having lost an hour).  Leave Lille at 12.33, direct train to LM arrives at 15.10.  The best way to book this on line is by using the "Voyage SNCF" link on the opening page of their site.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 08:00:36 pm by termietermite » Logged

Rocket_Man

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2007, 08:38:46 pm »

hi,
long time lurker (well, long time ABSENT lurker..), checking in -

I agree, the SNCF web site is crap.  May I suggest, as a possible alternative, the Rail Europe web site:
http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm
Note, the above link is for US-based travel bookings.  If you're booking from another country see "other country" links below the top right of that page. 

At the very least, you can use that site to narrow down your route, connections, and departure/arrival times, which might then speed up booking via the SNCF site.

Also, something I used a long time ago, is the book Thomas Cook European (Rail) Timetables.  It's not worth buying just for one trip, but if you can get your hands on a copy at a bookstore or library it might be worth looking through.  In it you will find complete schedules for pretty much every rail connection throughout Europe & the UK.  It requires a bit of "manual" searching through some maps and tables, but once you sort out how it works it's very useful (hint: start with the "cities" index near the front).  I like it in that you can look at multiple connections, times, etc. quickly and often on the same page without having to do repeated schedule inquiries via the web sites. 

anyway I hope this helps!
- mike
p.s.  FYI I too am looking for some assistance with camping at the circuit, etc., via a thread I just posted (didn’t want to hijack this one): 
http://www.clubarnage.com/forum/index.php?topic=6743.0

"Racing is life .... everything else is just waiting" -Steve McQueen
trevorc

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 04:19:51 am »

Mike...

thx for the info !!   Very helpful as I try to sort out trains...   LOL     

Trevor
Calgary, Alberta

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: