Club Arnage
April 25, 2024, 01:04:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Campsite Theft - BE AWARE !!!  (Read 30051 times)
mgmark
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Fun is not a straight line.....

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:06:03 pm »

Hi all.

As mentioned on another thread, back safe and sound now from another great week, having taken three of my lads out Le Mans (two of them for the first time), me in my MGA and them in the eldest's rep mobile.  Right up to the point that someone robbed them of their cash and passports, at around 4am on Sunday morning on Bleu Nord.  The result was total dejection, packing up the campsite early, and heading off to report the theft and get the necessary report for immigration control to get them back into UK.  Bleu Nord had seemed a really good site - well drained, happy and friendly, and well patrolled at all times of the day and night (although perhaps not on race night...)

Campsite thefts do happen, but because the lads had taken what we all thought were very sensible precautions to prevent it, I want to warn others of the circumstances so that we can all be aware for the future.  Setting the scene, we were in Bleu Nord as a group of 19 adults and 4 teenagers were housed in 6 small tents, 4 medium sized tents, one camper van, 10 cars and a couple of gazebos, with a fire lane running down the middle.  A pretty typical layout.

My eldest lad's car provided a secure home for their passports, and their pooled cash to pay for useful stuff like beer, food, fuel and tolls.  In addition, he kept his rucksack in it containing his own wallet, cash, radio etc.  Everything worked like clockwork until on the Saturday night, everyone had been out and about to various points around the circuit (as you do) and had returned and turned in for the night by about 3am.  All sober, given the excesses of Thurday and Friday nights and the desire to enjoy the race and not to be hungover for the journey back home.  At 3.30am, I was lying down dozing in my tent listening to Radio Le Mans (as you do) when someone opened my tent flap - thinking it was one of my lads having a lark after getting back from the circuit, I uttered "who the f**k is that", sat up, and poked my head out of the tent to see someone in dark clothes running away between tents about 20 yards away.  Got out, looked around, everything quiet, nobody else around, and all the tents were shut.  Kept looking around for a while and then went back in and fell asleep.  Woke up at 8 to find one distraught eldest lad - he had woken at about 5am  because he was cold - the tent flap was open, his suitcase was gone, as were his car keys.  He had been searching around for 3 hours and eventually found his empty wash bag and case, and some of his clothes strewn around about 100 yards away, but no car keys.  He thought that all of the stuff inside the car was safe, until we started to look more closely at his car - the car was locked, but the drivers door, rear door and boot lid were all ajar, but shut on the first latch (obviously pushed gently shut to avoid waking anyone) and of course it then dawned that they had rifled through the car, taken what they wanted, shut it, locked it and had taken the keys with them. 

A massive thank you to the rest of the group plus the surrounding campers, especially the french guys nearby, who helped to look for the keys, which were found a while later at the side of one of their tents about 50 yards away - at least we would be mobile, without the hassle of a recovery or waiting till Monday for the local dealership to open.

What did they get?  3 passports from a folder under the seat, a cash box with 220 euros in it from the glove box, and rucksack with a mobile phone, a wallet with bank cards and 150 euros, various clothing items and a radio in it from the boot.  None of this stuff was visible from outside the car.  The culprit had obviously returned later after the surprise encounter with me, avoided my tent, and gone for the lad's tent - he had not woken up, and his case and car keys had been on the floor of the tent alongside him.  The result, aside from the loss and the anger, was phone calls to cancel cards and his phone, an early pack up, and heading into town to the Commissariat de Police (Rue Coeffort, just off the Rue Nationale) in the centre near the Place des Jacobins in case anyone else needs it in the future!) to report the theft and sort out getting the three lads back into UK.  By the time we had finished it was 1.30 and not worth heading back into the circuit, so we set of home.  At the police station at the same time as us. were a group of Danes and another UK group that had been "done" as well.

The negative stuff?  The dejection to the point of not really wanting to go in and watch the rest of the race, the anger, invasion of space, the theft, and the unecessary buggeration of cancelling phones and cards, finding the right place to report it all to in Le Mans and dealing with immigration control.

The positive stuff? Nobody died and we were mobile (but nearly not the latter) so it could have been a lot worse - cash, passports and cards can be replaced, and we know the right way to go about getting back into UK without a passport.

That's about it really - I just want everyone to learn something from it - you don't expect thieves to have a go at a tent whilst someone is in it, awake or asleep.  So, when you are in your tent, your cash, phones, passports, tickets, valuables and keys need to be up the other end of the tent from the door and stored in such a way that they are not visible and can't be taken without someone being woken.  So with no thanks whatsoever to whoever screwed up the enjoyment of Le Mans by three teenagers, we'll be back again next year, bu this time replete with alarms, watchtowers, machine gun nests, an electrified fence and a minefield - then those bast*rds will learn a different sort of lesson from their activities.... all the best for now,

MG Mark

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." Mario Andretti
Volks Repair Man
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:22:47 pm »

Sadly, the rifling of the front of tents is a common practice at festivals and some car shows I go to which tend to have a "younger" crowd. The standard thieves response if challenged is "shorry mate, bit pissed - thought it was my mates tent".

The safest plan is to have everything valuable in the car and sleep with the keys under your pillow/in your sleeping bag :-/

I can cheerfully report however, that one individual recently discovered doing the rounds at Santa Pod last year was soundly giving an arse kicking before authorities arrived  Grin
knetter
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Burn mother...... burn!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 02:26:53 pm »

Sorry to have to hear this Mark. I usually make an effort of keeping my real valuables with me at all times, even when sleeping. Just stash it at the foot end of your sleeping bag. Small bag with money, phone and camera and keys does the trick for me. Glad you made it back safely to the UK.

I have given up on being on facebook and myspace, I kept mixing them up and invited people to come on Myface!
JonFATBOYwarner
CA Veteran

I'm not fat just big boned.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:28:26 pm »

We were also on Blue Nord and had thefts on two occations.  Firstly on Thursday afternoon while unloading, a bag was stolen from the back of a car and then on Friday night a mobile from our gazebo while we were in it.
Like Mark says, it puts a dampener on your weekend.  Another guy near us had his bag stolen, then the car broken into.  They stole his cash, some ciggies and his mints(people will nick anything these days you know).

Jon

For those of hard hearing.  LISTEN
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:43:09 pm »

Sorry to hear you guys had trouble did not hear of any problems on HA, have been reading in camper mags that sleeping gas is beening used these days.....have now fitted a gas alarm in camper  Sad

been there done that doing it again !
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:54:24 pm »

I hate to hear about these reports, it really makes me mad that criminals have discovered Le Mans as their working grounds. We had some trouble last year, but none that I know of this year. We did at Brands though at the A1GP, a tent was cut open and some goods were stolen as well. Better take better precautions than this year, I guess I've been lucky.
Leftie
Club Arnage God

Team Red Dragon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:19:30 pm »

I have returned today and on the ferry was told of thefts.

To you guys who suffered a loss, you have my sympathies.

You may whinge at this but, I keep keys/passports/wallets etc within my shorts or trousers at all times and I sleep in them. Too pi**ed to take them off in the tent. They are changed the next day and if able to be 'recycled' will be worn again.

Again, my sysmpathies.

Jerry

At my age, it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night!!!!!!!!!!!
Then, growing old is compulsary, but growing up is just optional.

I don't do GREEN, I've got a 4x4
JDS
Club Arnage Demi God

Moi, enivré? Sűrement que vous me moquez monsieur?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:51:13 pm »

Really sorry to hear about the thefts, but the good thing is that you could get to the police, get the report done and get home. Agree with the comments about sleeping with valuables on your person though unfortunately ... It seems that the less savory people in life have decided that these type of events are easy pickings.

I too have heard the horror stories of the gas attacks on campers/motorhomes, especially rife in Spain (apparently) but sure as the sun rises tomorrow it'll catch on elsewhere too, we have also had a gas alarm fitted to our camper just in case Embarrassed
KAAL
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 09:13:52 pm »

We were on Karting Nord and when we were sleeping in our tent thursday somebody has taken the "porte-monnaie" of one of the guys of our group in the tent under the pillow!

The 300 € were not the biggest problem but they took the cards, driving licence etc. Hopefully somebody gave the empty "porte-monnaie" to the frendly guys from the security of the ACO.  Thank you very much to the person who gave it to the security!

On Friday somebody has stollen wine an different things in the other tent and put it in the "poubelle" near the tent .. . Thank you very much, next time drink it also and don't abuse things!

On Sunday I was 5 meters from the our gazebo, some french teenis came and took my clothes, which were on the chair and wanted to go away, but i registert this and run behind them.
The guy said " Oh the things were outside the tent and it seemend that nobody was the owner of this clothes".

EmbarrassedIt's getting unsecure in Le Mans
Werner
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 09:32:01 pm »

I've a confirmed report of an attempted theft at the Expo campsite, fortunately the thief was caught by some campers - after they had some "fun" with him they chased him away he probably would have preferred to have been caught by the police instead Grin

"… to be honest, I did it purely for the money at first. I went to Le Mans
hoping that the car would break down. I came away in love with the place." - Eddie Irvine
alibongo
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:17:17 pm »

I've a confirmed report of an attempted theft at the Expo campsite, fortunately the thief was caught by some campers - after they had some "fun" with him they chased him away he probably would have preferred to have been caught by the police instead Grin

Hey Werner I hope the fun envolved the culprit being tied behind a car and taken round the Houx roundabout for a few laps???

been there done that doing it again !
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 10:44:32 pm »

f**k me where do I start. I was on MB with the Liverpool boys and we had 4 incidents first was clothes and passports on the friday night. Next was saturday night where 2 were caught mooching around my gear in 2 seperate incidents. one got some real estate giving to him when Brian kicked him in the balls and gave him a couple of acres and he ran of. The next incident they had hold of the lad and Mike tried to dislocate his jaw with a big right hook. He then done off only to discover that he had ransacked a neighbouring parties tent and had his wallet with cards, money etc. On Sunday morning we returned from Arnage to be told by our next door neighbour that he had just chased someone trying to open the awning on Mike C's camper and was already being chased by anther camper for nicking stuff. Oh and when I packed away someone had nicked my electric cool box and a 1/3 of a box of wine. So for next  year, top of the shopping list is a baseball bat. Any one gets caught will have to empty pockets. They will then be cable tied to a chair with their clothes cut off and Campsite thief written in permemnent marker pen all over them. And when he's sat on public view, please take time to empty your piss bucket over him. f**k*ng handjobs know how to spoil a good week
Stu
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 10:57:15 pm »

Oh and whilst I'm getting wound up, the incident where the lad was opening the awning was reported straight away to the one security bloke on duty as the culprit was still around. The security bloke did'nt give a toss and said the police would'nt be interested as it was on private land. The annoying thing is, and I hope your reading this ACO,  up to and including Friday night the security was in heavy handed largely grouped form regarding pitches and parking your car over the white line. As soon as race day came there was only one on MB and all he did was guard the Peugeot compound tents at the top of MB.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:46:58 am by Stu » Logged
smokie
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 12:27:52 am »

Ah fookin loove yeou Stu  Kiss

Bad luck to all. I'll certainly be more careful with keys and money in future - I usually just drop my shorts which contain all my possessions and climb into bed - easy prey (my shorts, that is, not me!)

And I'm sure before too long the topic of MB security police will have it's very own thread...

Cedarman
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 02:58:56 am »

Oh and whilst I'm getting wound up, the incident where the lad was opening the awning was reported straight away to the one security bloke on duty as the culprit was still aroung. The security bloke did'nt give a toss and said the police would'nt be interested as it was on private land. The annoying thing is, and I hope your reading this ACO, was up to and including Friday night the security was in heavy handed largely grouped form rearding pitches and parking your car over the white line. As soon as race day came there was only one on MB and all he did was guard the Peugeot compound tents at the top of MB.
In eight years of Le Mans MB we have never encountered any problems.  This year they have massively increased 'securite' for the first few days (up to Thursday) and then the scumbags seem to have had a free range.  One of our party lost a set of binos whilst out of their tent on Saturday night, the same night two separte tents were robbed whilst occupied.  Another tent received an attempted entry whilst matey was 'otherwise engaged with a friend of the opposite gender' and sadly before he could get his strides on and acquire a decent 'object' the thieving turd had made off.  If the ACO want to apply security (which we approve of) then it should not just be to administer pitches.  Maybe a universal CA network will need to be established in future if the ACO cannot/are not prepared to act.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: