Club Arnage
April 20, 2024, 01:31:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: … welcome to the Club Arnage Le Mans forum …

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Classic vs 'The 24 Hours'  (Read 10517 times)
Nordic
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile WWW
« on: August 08, 2007, 09:00:23 pm »

After giving it much thought, I have decided to give the June race a miss next year in favor of the Classic. I have wanted to get to the July race for a while, and as it is a biannual race and not wanting to wait until 2010 I think 08 is a good bet.

In an ideal world I would of course do both, but I am not allowed I could not get the time of work.

What I want to know is how do I get the camping sorted, I understand that only Masion Blanche is open. would we be better camping off site or even getting a hotel. Or intial thoughts are to travel down thursday, is that too early or to late?

I have looked on the ACO web pages, but I have not found alot of info about the logistics.

Another option is via car clubs, does the Porsche club do anything or maybe the Jag clubs, has anyone done it that way?

Any info will be greatly recieved.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better.
H S Thompson 1937 - 2005
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 09:15:09 pm »

An excellent choice. I went last year and its a great event- much quieter but the cars are amazing.
 Last year MB and Karting Nord were open, MB sold out first although I believe there was still space on MB.  You want to get there for Friday lunch at the latest to catch the quals (although there is still camping space up to sat aft)
 There is little info on the classic website at the moment but that should change at end of month.
 See you there!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Steve Pyro
Houx Annexe veteran
Administrator
Club Arnage Master

I see you Baby, shaking your Ass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:04:09 pm »

From what I've heard, bookings are being taken from September (ish).

See here - http://www.lemansclassic.com/2008/GB/index.html

We had an East Anglian Cobrateers / Club Arnage enclave on MB last time.

Steve East Anglian cobras

Piglet
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:16:07 pm »

It's a dilemma next year isn't it?!

We've done the last two Classics and in an ideal world would do a week for the 24, a week for the Classic and then a week for Spa but that plays havoc with work and uses up the majority of my holiday in a fairly short space of time.

I can't really decide what to do.  Until we went to Spa I was all set to drop that but I really do enjoy our week in Spa....

I think I'm hoping that MB really will be allocated for the 24 hour and then I might go down later in the week not for the whole week. 

We'll definitely do the Classic and if I was pushed to drop one or t'other, it might be the 24 that goes because the Classic was much more relaxing as a camping trip. 
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:58:47 pm »

I would really like to go to the Classic one day, maybe when my son is older so I can take him (and so have an excuse at home). As for choosing: I know nobody is irreplaceble, but I cannot imagine a 'normal' 24hr for DfH without myself for now. I wouldn't like to do the preparations I do now and wish the guys a happy week in June, to say the least Undecided

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Bas
CA Veteran

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:39:29 pm »

Have visited the last couple of classics, totally different from the 24h but great in it's own way.
Less hectic, better access to paddock, cars, drivers and track.

Great cars and a very relaxed atmospere.
Opted for staying in town and that works fine because the traffic isn't anything like the 24h and I didn't have the impression that the atmoshere on the campsites was something I couldn't do without.

Arrive Friday evening (for night practice) or Saturday morning, spend the day visiting the paddock and see as much as possible till late Saturday-night.
On Sunday I usually catch 1 or 2 classes in the morning and leave around noon.

(Paddy, will give you a lift from Holland next year if you want, leaving Friday afternoon and will have you back for dinner Sunday.)

Jem
CA Veteran

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:54:58 pm »

I've been to both.

There is only one Le Mans and Steve made a film about it.

The other is all about old cars parading around LM and taking the odd break.

Both are great, but don't forget there is only one LM race and its held in June.

Jem
Martini...LB
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

Not even stirring...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:59:27 pm »

Nordic, when we spoke at LM this year I was pretty sure I was only going to do the Classic next year, out of the two LM races, I am still of the same mind. Also I think my UK friends (not CA members) are likely to do the same.

As for anything else I really am not sure whether I am coming, going or have been.

Will not do Spa in '08 and probably not Sxxbring.

>Martini...

l'abus d'alcool est dangereux pour la santé , à consommer avec modération
rcutler
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 12:06:54 am »

So are you going to any other races to make up for no Spa, Le Mans or SEBRING! Grin
nickliv
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 12:09:07 am »

Following next year (When I plan on doing the 24h only) I hope to

Do the 24 on the 'odd' years, and the classic on the 'even' years. Only so much holiday and brownie points available etc etc etc.
rcutler
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 12:16:16 am »

Hopefully my list next year is:-

Sebring
Le Mans
Le Mans Classic
Spa 24
Petit Le Mans

Plus a couple of FIA and LMS events.
Paddy_NL
CA Veteran
Club Arnage Master

Bleu Nord hooligan =)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 12:51:58 am »

No plans here yet for '08, except no-Sebring and yes-Le Mans 24. I'll see what comes up.

And Bas, thanks for the offer! Cool

Paddy's 2009: Spa LMS • NBR 24 • Le Mans 24 • Spa24NBR LMSSilverstone LMS =(

Drinking for Holland
Pieter
Club Arnage Demi God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 01:43:26 am »

I'll do both again I guess. I had a great time last year at the Classic, although I have to agree with Bas that the camping could do with some more Dutchies atmosphere. The event is great for those who appreciate the history of sportscar racing and it hosts the best cars you'll find anywhere.
Lazy B'stard
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 07:42:29 am »

I'll do both again I guess. I had a great time last year at the Classic, although I have to agree with Bas that the camping could do with some more Dutchies atmosphere.
You need to come to Dr Sconefingers Northern Soul All nighter then!

Dick Dasterdly was right
'Don't just stand there, do something!'
Rusty
CA Veteran
Club Arnage God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 08:14:05 am »

It's a dilemma next year isn't it?!   

Not really, I'll do both again but on the bike for the Classic as I don't have to bring all the crap down I usually do as we stay in an auberge Grin

Rusty

The Brethren Rock
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: